Unfunny Comedies?

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by driverdrummer, Jul 29, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

From 1934...and still funny:

[​IMG]

Jazzmonkie likes this.
  2. andy749

andy749 Senior Member

An all-time fave!!!

Lightworker likes this.
  3. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

From 2000...:

[​IMG]

Lightworker likes this.
  4. MikaelaArsenault

The Producers (2005 version)

Lightworker likes this.
  5. Lightworker

Lightworker Forum Resident

I lasted for about 10 minutes before I bailed...

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  6. MikaelaArsenault

7. MikaelaArsenault

8. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

Huge fan of Chevy and this is the only movie I’ve walked out on. I can actually enjoy it when it’s on tv for a little while but it’s not good. Chevy lost his ability to be funny at some point. He is just so arrogant and angry as a person, his dry sense of humor became so dry that only he gets the joke. This move really is the end of an era and a career. Other than a few cameos in movies and a small part in Parks and Rec. (that ended badly) he never worked again, at least not as a lead actor.

fr in sc and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  9. MikaelaArsenault

My parents and I were talking about this yesterday, and my mom doesn't like National Lampoon's European Vacation and my dad only likes him in Caddyshack and that's it.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  10. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

The first “Fletch” is very good and obviously his work on SNL was fantastic. As a writer and performer with National Lampoon he was also very good. He had a run from about 1972 until Christmas Vacation where he was one of the best. A few clunkers along the way but really he never bounced back from “The Chevy Chase Show”, that’s where his I don’t want to be here and it’s everyone else fault people don’t get the joke attitude put him in the ditch.

caddy shack was probably his best work but Christmas’s Vacation is likely his most lasting and watched movie. There is a good documentary about Doug Kenny that is well worth watching. Spoiler alert..at the end of the movie he goes to Hawaii to kill himself on a Cocaine bender, Chevy spent a week with him there and Kenny died shortly after Chevy left, like the next day. Belushi gets a lot of attention for his drug use but Chevy wasn’t far behind. There seems to be a correlation to him getting sober and not being funny. Not that you have to be high to funny but it tough to party that hard and not sustain some permanent damage. Some people That go dry and don’t get the help they need to get better can become angry and antisocial. It could be that, it could be he became a spoiled celebrity, he could have damaged the part of his brain that made him funny with dope or that he just got old and lost his touch. Could be a bit of all of that.

11. recoverydog

recoverydog Forum Resident

He was never funny. Childish humor.

12. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

I'll semi-defend "Vegas Vacation", as I think it's the best of the 3 "Vacation" sequels. "European" just seems dull and aimless, while "Christmas" feels aggressively unfunny - it's Clark is such a jerk and the whole movie has a sense of anger that doesn't make much sense to me.

"Vegas" isn't great, but it feels like more of a natural fit with the franchise, and it has its moments! :shrug:

Vegas Vacation [Blu-Ray] (1997)

vince likes this.
  13. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Adam Sandler?
    Iam still waiting for him to start being funny!

14. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

to each their own but if Chevy had any ownership of this movie (and if he had ownership of all his movies) Christmas is the one that would still be paying him money. You might be the only person in the world that would argue for Vegas and call Christmas’s aggressively unfunny.

15. Oatsdad

Maybe... and I'm okay with that! :D

I know I'm in the minority here, but what am I supposed to do, pretend I like "Christmas" and pretend I hated "Vegas"?

I really do hate Chase's performance in "Christmas". He plays Clark as such a surly jerk so much of the time.

At least the Clark of "Vegas" seems likable again! :shrug:

vince likes this.
  16. fr in sc

fr in sc Forum Resident

I remember when Rolling Stone did an article on "Saturday Night" (as it was then called) and it was a nonstop tongue bath of Chase; when he left SNL shortly afterwards everyone was sure he'd be a huge movie star, some comparing his looks and comedic sense to a young Cary Grant. And then his first movie came out, Foul Play, and an unknown (to Americans) Dudley Moore yanked the movie right out from under him as Stanley Tibbets. I don't think Chase's career ever really recovered from that, for all the success he had until the mid-80's.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  17. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I think he really bought into that hype and still does to this day. At the end of the day he just isn’t a good actor, he just plays different versions of Clark Griswold and that doesn’t work in a drama. He was very lucky to get his start with some amazing comedy writers at SNL and with Doug Kenny and Lampoon.

I think Funny Farm is still a good movie from later in his career.

Jrr and fr in sc like this.
  18. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

I may be the only person in the world to think this, but in my opinion Memoirs of an Invisible Man was enjoyable. Not great, not hilarious, but moderately enjoyable. Of course I haven't watched it in close to 30 years so perhaps a re-watch now would change my mind.

Dennis0675 likes this.
  19. Dennis0675

Dennis0675 Hyperactive!

I remember this one being really bad. I'd like to revisit and see how it plays today.

[​IMG]

20. Spaghettiows

I haven't seen that one. I think I'll avoid it.

MikaelaArsenault and Dennis0675 like this.
  21. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Dan Aykroyd’s only film as a director from a script he wrote. Once you see it you’ll find out why it was his only directorial turn.

22. I think there's still money to be made with "Ghostbusters" with involvement of some of the original cast, but unless they have at least Bill Murray, Dan Akroyd, Ernie Hudson, and Sigourney Weaver, i'm out.

23. Spaghettiows

I agree there is money to be made, but I think there is a less than 1% chance that Murray would do it, even if they have his character die and he becomes a ghost himself and then some rich guy hires Aykroyd/Hudson/Weaver/Annie Potts to exorcize Murray's wisecracking ghost.

24. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Nothing for two.

25. Oatsdad

Isn't Murray in the new "Ghostbusters"? :confused:

Meaning the unreleased one, not the 2016 version - which he was in as well, of course...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.