Crucial Reggae

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Jackie P, Jan 22, 2013.

1. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I've been somewhat distracted as I made the mistake of deciding to sort out my CDs, two weeks later and other than numerous piles of CDs scattered about the house I haven't really achieved anything so back to playing Reggae LPs.

I didn't even know I had this, found it in a box last week and have no recollection of where or when I bought it, I assume I thought it looked interesting and worth a listen, anyway a few years later and I've had a listen, surprisingly I kind of like it, need a few more listens, but I say that although not perfect it has a certain charm.

[​IMG]

Personally I wouldn't call this Dub, but they are excellent versions.

[​IMG]

2. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

^
    I really like that Sinead O´Connor album!

Riccardo2, uzn007 and Dubmart like this.
  3. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

Did you all see that Studio One released a digital-only release on Bandcamp yesterday? Rare + unreleased mixes - Rebel Disco, by Studio One

Pretty good! Really enjoying the "Arena Rock" unreleased track from Roland Alphonso & Jah Buzz.

black sheriff, Ital Galore and uzn007 like this.
  4. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I'm somewhat worried that there's no physical release, hopefully just a byproduct of the lock down and not a taste of future plans.

ElevateMeLater likes this.
  5. ElevateMeLater

ElevateMeLater Jesus of Cool

I doubt it's indicative of their future plans. The Studio One fan base seems much more physical than digital. I'm just happy they're offering new music at all during this time.

Vtov and Dubmart like this.
  6. Electric Sydney

Electric Sydney Forum Resident

Gotta get me some Congos!

7. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

If you are talking Heart Of and want vinyl be careful of VP releases, some are terrible.

uzn007 likes this.
  8. beenieman

beenieman Senior Member

I had an Al Campbell listening experience today. he certainly has a unique voice. This has been a favourite since it was released.

Al Campbell - One Beer Bad Boy (Lecturer Riddim)

Bobby Buckshot and django68 like this.
  9. django68

django68 Forum Resident

Al Campbell is a favourite of mine. Here is he is in London on the Jump The Fence/Licking Stick/Proud Black whatever that amazing rhythm was actually called. Followed by the Massive Horns version:

Pastafarian and Bobby Buckshot like this.
  10. Jackie P

Jackie P Music Addict Thread Starter

One lyric (with killer dub version) that reflects these times we live in....

"Kingdom Rise Kingdom Fall, Babylon trying to find a solution..."

Kingdom Rise Kingdom Fall - Wailing Souls (12" version - Greensleeves)

Last edited: May 5, 2020
  11. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Great tune, played it to death back in the day, one day I'll needledrop all my Greensleeves twelves and create some CD-R comps, though I've been saying that for nearly twenty years.:laugh:

Jackie P likes this.
  12. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Maybe ten(?) years ago, I downloaded a very large set of Greensleeves 12" needledrops via BitTorrent. There was a great set of Studio One singles (mostly 7") as well. I can't remember where the torrents were hosted (and I couldn't post it here even if I could) but they might still be out there.

Bobby Buckshot and Dubmart like this.
  13. Vinyl Kix

Vinyl Kix Forum Resident

I was doing some organizing of some of my vinyl, and came across my copy of Buju Banton 'Champion" 12" max single EP..Threw it on, and enjoyed hearing it again! Pretty intense (especially the acapella version of Champion".Probably not for the casual reggae fan, but a good listen!
    [​IMG]

bluesbro, Bobby Buckshot and uzn007 like this.
  14. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Had a look at the Greensleeves twelves earlier, this will give you an idea why I haven't started recording them.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

15. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

Continued....
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. GAW Jr.

GAW Jr. Forum Resident

U-Roy a Favorite

17. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

18. 99thfloor

99thfloor Senior Member

I think it's hard to overestimate the impact "My Boy Lollipop" had, I am born ten years after it was released and still I'd say everyone in my generation knows it, certainly everyone in my parents generation do, and I think still to this day maybe only a couple of Marley's biggest songs can beat it in recognition factor when it comes to music out of Jamaican. I knew it well before I had any idea where it came from or what kind of music it was, and probaly before I heard any other Ska or Reggae or any type of Jamaican inspired music.

Most people at that time wouldn't have known anything about Jamaican music, and then that song came along and went into the top of the charts basically all around the world, and even if it was considered a novelty it must have opened lots of doors.

I recall one time at a Reggae festival, probably my first time at one, in the early morning hours a sound system playing (I think Fatman) started working it's way backwards with the selection, through Early Reggae, Rock Steady and Ska, and the roots oriented crowd gradually started to loose interest through this, so the DJ stopped the music and gave everyone a good cussing for not appreciating the history of the music, and after an enthusiastic pep talk he finally had the whole audience skanking to "My Boy Lollipop", I'll always remember that moment, looking around at the crowd dancing to Millie blasting over the speakers.

R.I.P. Millie...

[​IMG]

Obituary in The Guardian: Millie Small obituary

Steve Barrow on Facebook: Steve Barrow

Last edited: May 6, 2020
  19. beenieman

beenieman Senior Member

She was so much more than a one hit wonder novelty act. She was recognised as a legacy artist in Jamaica. I saw today she lived in New Zealand for some time in recent years. Why did no one know that.

Not a lot of videos of her performing so I'll stick with her classic track for now.

20. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Besides, the albums already suggested. I like Leroy's self-produced album, The Best, From 1990.

[​IMG]

Leroy Sibbles - The Best

It's a fine digital album with Steelie on the keys. If remember correctly, most (if not all) the riddims are original.

Looking at the discogs listing. I'm surprised it is selling for so much.

manicpopthrill likes this.
  21. Pastafarian

Pastafarian Forum Resident

Totally Wired In Dub 2, is on Spotify and it well worth checking out.

Dean R and black sheriff like this.
  22. Somebody has done just that and gaver me a DVD full of music.
    Guess what?
    I freaking lost the DVD...

Dubmart likes this.
  23. when I see your records, Dubmart, I am glad I got rid of my collection

24. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

This was just posted a few hours ago.

I am guessing that is a programme from the UK (BBC?). I know Alan Freeman. Don't know the other gentleman.

Pastafarian likes this.
  25. Dubmart

Dubmart Senior Member

I will never get rid of mine.:shake::righton:

zphage likes this.