CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. rjp

rjp Senior Member

many do, and that's OK....i think it is my own fault for how i feel, like i said, i doubt anything would have met my expectations.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i mean i agree is not earth shattering or even close to the level of either of their best material. i was just happy they played together and released it

Woodville and wavethatflag like this.
  3. MJConroy

MJConroy Senior Member

Nice. I'd title it ""Déjà vu all over again"

4. qtrules

qtrules Forum Resident

love that version of the lee shore. i was heartbroken when i found out the vocals are from 1991.

Woodville and wavethatflag like this.
  5. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

Nope. You have the wrong JPN release

6. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

So, is there an actual update on this alleged reissue project? Not sure if I missed something.

hi_watt and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Thanks. Now you've ruined my life as well. :)

9. rjp

rjp Senior Member

no

wavethatflag likes this.
  10. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

Surely he receives royalty payments from the many classic albums he was involved in? Byrds, CS&N etc etc...

Lost In The Flood likes this.
  11. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

I can’t imagine those add up to that much these days.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Byrds have a very bad deal, McGuinn probably gets smaller royalty checks than Crosby. Crosby doesn't have the evergreen CSN/Y publishing, or non royalty/touring income like the others.

Liver upkeep is thousands per month, like dialysis. Phil Collins(!!) paid for the transplant because he was a fan. Crosby's boat probably has upkeep as well, and I'm not sure he ever sold that.

13. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Don't forget the alternate version of "Carry On" from Replay, with a guitar solo and a cappella coda instead of the segue into "Questions."

I cut the two versions together, splicing the last "love is coming to us all" from the Replay version with the one just before "Questions" comes in on the album version.

14. Mooserfan

Mooserfan Forum Resident

This far down the road for me, 1991 might as well be 1970.

15. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Wow. First time hearing this and I absolutely love it. Prefer it to the album version. That lead guitar is smoking and the vocal ending is a more natural and powerful conclusion to the song than segueing into Questions, IMHO.

I hope this rare version is included in the Deja Vu 50th.

footlooseman and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Josip

Josip Forum Resident Thread Starter

One more important lesson: own your masters!

As a DIY artist, I own my own publishing, masters and performance rights. My royalties from streaming services are not much, but they're constant: if I earn x as a songwriter, I earn 7x as a label (the owner of masters).

Now, multiply that with CSN, CSNY, Byrds classic records... :)

Alan57 likes this.
  17. In the unlikely event that this reissue ever happens adding in full versions of a 4 Way Street concert or two would give it some extra substance.
    Neil had an expanded version of these shows on his ready to go Archives poll at the start of the year.

ARK, Matthew Tate and rockclassics like this.
  18. Kristofferabild

Kristofferabild Forum Resident

What!? I would love this.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

'replay' also has a version of 'i give, you give blind' without the strings. not nearly as strikingly different as the version of 'carry on'.

i have only seen the austrailian CD of 'replay' (as far as i know the only CD that was ever released of this) once and i bought it. i have never even seen it again.

20. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

I thought about that but I wanted to remain true to the original album. I remember hearing that for the first time. It was so jarring and sounded like a bad edit. It took a few years to ascertain both codas were tacked on. Questions is the better choice by far.

I AM going to assemble a version with your splice. Can’t have too much of a good thing.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. rjp

rjp Senior Member

and remember neil young did not play on 'carry on'. i'm pretty sure that's why it is on 'replay".

22. monkeyboy67

monkeyboy67 Forum Resident

I agree that version of the Lee Shore is fantastic! If you love that version, I don't see what the complaint is about when the vocals were recorded? Without the recording info from the booklet, it would never even have occurred to me that the vocals weren't laid down during the original session - they sound spot on to me.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    DEAN OF ROCK and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yes - love that take of Lee Shore, one of my all-time favorite CSNY tracks - a beautiful Crosby song so wonderfully executed, and a real “lost” gem! Stills’ moody understated lead work really makes it for me.

Stills’ guitar overdubs are differently mixed on the “Studio Archives” mentioned above, for an equally tasty mux.

Oh, and isn’t this the take where Neil picks up Stills’ brand new D-45 and “assumes full responsibility” for any scratches? (Altho I’m not sure what “full responsibility” would actually mean.)

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    MidnightRocks and Matthew Tate like this.
  24. rjp

rjp Senior Member

he adds" if i get a scratch on it"....pretty sure that is his full responsibility.

ronbow likes this.
  25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

There are beautiful sounding gold CDs of the 1969 and 1977 CSN albums. All of Neil’s early albums have been released in great sounding CDs as part of his Archives series. Déjà Vu is the key album from CSNY’s peak that has never had a proper CD reissue, although I’d love to see someone take a shot at Stephen Stills, Stephen Stills 2, and Manassas.

I would be all over a nice reissue of Déjà Vu, preferably with an extra CD or two of outtakes from the sessions.