UFO "Live in Youngstown 1978" 2xLP release on upcoming Record Store Day

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by blacksabbathrainbow, Mar 27, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Thought this deserves a thread here - forthcoming on Record Store Day, June 20, 2020:
    RSD '20 Special Release: Ufo - Live in Youngstown '78

'This RSD 2020 release features, for the first time in its entirety, one of the six concerts recorded to make up the seminal double live UFO album Strangers In The Night. The Youngstown ’78 show alone fills up two discs! UFO are currently celebrating their 50th anniversary with… a world tour!'

Tracklist:
    '“Intro” / “Hot 'N' Ready” / ”Pack It Up (And Go)” / “Cherry” / “Let It Roll” / “Love To Love” / “Natural Thing” / “Out On The Street” / “Only You Can Rock Me” / “On With The Action” / “Doctor Doctor” / “Lights Out” / “Rock Bottom” / “Too Hot To Handle” / “Shoot Shoot”'

2. I am hoping for a CD release. Anyway, looking forward to this album. Glad about the inclusion of "Pack It Up (And Go)" and "On With The Action". I wish Black Sabbath were as generous with respect to the release of old live material as UFO.

pscreed, Andy Smith, Anthrax and 3 others like this.
  3. gklainer

gklainer Forum Resident

I saw them the following night at the Cleveland Agora. That concert is part of the bootleg box set. Same tracklist except it's missing Shoot Shoot. The Youngstown show which was the night before was likely at the Tomorrow Club which turned into the Agora on 12-31-78 and lasted until 1982. Some of Schenker's finest moments are from this tour and the Cleveland show as well as "Strangers" is fantastic. It's an RSD first release so no matter what happens in June with the Covid-19 situation I hope it is available.

4. BrianKehew

BrianKehew Forum Resident

I'm SO bummed. I've been after doing this project for 12-13 years; I do mixing for WBros/Rhino (Woodstock, Sabbath, etc) and the UFO/Strangers tapes were here in Los Angeles in a vault, all the shows recorded, plus the studio sessions that they added to Side 2 of the album (the fake live songs, they sound great.)

I pestered UFO mgmt, various labels, and anyone who would listen to put out ALL of it - good and bad, in a full box set. I had some huge rockstars ready to write the liner notes, and it would have sounded exactly right - no ProTools fixing or tuning. Very much as we did with the Woodstock box set last year. Even Eddie Trunk was all over it, trying to get it to happen - but someone's done this, no CDs - one show. Damn, there goes a life dream...

scottp, Ctiger2, roqdawg and 15 others like this.
  5. moomaloo

moomaloo All-round good egg

It’s a great idea. Brian. Thanks for your hard work and let’s hope it still might happen.

6. Jimmy Agates

Jimmy Agates CRAZY DOCTOR

This so needs to happen. No point waiting til the fans are in their graves. Would've been a great way to celebrate UFO's 50th Anniversary.

7. That sounds like an amazing project. And given how many other live recordings UFO have put out over the years, it wouldn't seem unlikely to happen. The Youngstown LP will probably sell out in about 5 seconds - maybe that'll show them that the demand for such a box set would be large.

Crimson Witch and Jimmy Agates like this.
  8. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Wow gotta have this, thanks Linda for the heads up!
    I've played Strangers in the night a billion times over the years, and I know it's from more than one gig, but still tend to thing of it as a Chicago thing. I wonder how many of the tunes are the same versions on Strangers?
    A record store day release of one show probably won't diminish interest.........bring all that on......

Last edited: May 7, 2020
  9. Jimmy Agates

Try buying the previous live box "Official Bootleg Box" - it sold out pretty quick so i don't see why one based on Strangers In The Night wouldn't be a success.

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    blacksabbathrainbow likes this.
  10. rjp

rjp Senior Member

WOW!.....the tomorrow club, completely forgot that it even existed.

11. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I'm rather excited to get ”Pack It Up (And Go)” to add to the track lineup. "On With The Action" live has been out on great sounding vinyl as well as on CD as a bonus track. Pack it Up I am not sure, but I don't have it in the collection from '78.

The album is their Made in Japan career-making set, and I can see how they might not want to release every last scrap of tape from it at this time. But with time marching on and the band calling it a day any day now, the time might be soon.

12. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

It ain't over yet. It might be a different team but it ain't over til it's over. Catalogue development goes on and on.

13. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thanks for your efforts!

Let's hope the lightbulb lights up in someone's head and your Strangers box can still become a reality one day. Having the full shows is a little dream of many UFO fans, including myself (and getting to hear the studio performances to ago along with it, though I've never expected it, would make that box even more of a must). Schenker UFO at their peak.

14. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

I know nothing of UFO, but I can practically guarantee that if the show in question was in Youngstown, it was at The Tomorrow Club. There really was no other venue in Youngstown that would have hosted national touring bands in that era.

Not me! I spent a lot of time there in the days of my youth, and continued to go there after The Agora took it over. It was housed in what had previously been a legit movie house for decades, The State Theater.

The building was torn down many years ago, and the site is just a parking lot.

15. Andy Smith

Andy Smith .....Like a good pinch of snuff......

Gutted for you mate. Your plan sounds so much better.

16. rjp

rjp Senior Member

i did see uriah heep (with locals 'brain child" opening) at the stambaugh auditorium around that time, so there was one other place, even though it was rarely, and shamefully not, used.

stambaugh auditorium must be run by a truly stuffy bunch of people. they have a gorgeous venue, right near a university, that has very expensive weddings in the basement and high school graduations once a year. i don;t even know how much the youngstown symphony even uses it because they do everything at 'de-yor'

17. MikeM

MikeM Senior Member

Yes, I thought of Stambaugh — but just as you say, it was extremely rare for a rock or pop group of any kind to appear there. And it still is.

The Tomorrow Club is definitely where all the regular action was. They tended to have at least one major-label rock group there most weeks; sometimes more than that.

18. The Elephant Man

The Elephant Man Forum Resident

I saw many a cool show at the Tomorrow Club. Eventually it became an Agora.

19. rjp

rjp Senior Member

the under-use of stambaugh auditorium is borderline criminal.

all those small cleveland and akron shows could also be there:

ej thomas
    akron music hall
    cleveland music hall
    nautica
    the music box
    cain park
    house of blues

and now that they built that ridiculous amphitheater on that filthy river it will only get worse. i would have loved to see steely dan at stambaugh, oh well. :shrug:

20. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

I'm tellin' ya, if I ran a record company, I would do things a heckuva lot differently than the numbnuts in charge now. :) This one for example, even if they don't want to do a physical release for all that stuff, do a digital download then. FOR THE FANS.

Maybe we can hope though. If this one show sells well even on lp, maybe they'll figure out there's more money to be made with other additional releases.

In general, I think UFO has been one of the better bands represented by all the "extra" stuff that's come out over the years.

Rufus rag likes this.
  21. Jimmy Agates

Did anyone pick this up on RSD? Any thoughts??

22. Chris Schoen

Chris Schoen Rock 'n Roll !!!

My favorite UFO is the '75 Record Plant Sausalito (Ca.) Live in studio show.
    Well recorded, small crowd, great performance. The BBC Live cd is also good,
    better than Strangers (imo).

Greenalishi and Haggis Wampovich like this.
  23. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

24. roqdawg

roqdawg Forum Resident

Every UFO fans dream for sure! What could be better than SIX Strangers In The Night? The one question I have wondered about for all these years concerns that tape with the studio sessions. Is there more there than just "Mother Mary/This Kids"...maybe some other songs like "Electric Phase"...maybe a complete set list run through???

25. Anthrax

Anthrax Forum Resident

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.