Discogs experiences-postive and negative*

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by ROFLnaked, Oct 17, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dkurtis

dkurtis sonoftheFather

That is becoming a common response. The seller will block you for anything other than your gratitude, accolades and praise. On-line sales are the necessary evils of our new 'social distancing' culture - so will be the conflicts.

patient_ot likes this.
  2. What an douche seller, if they can't find 5 mins to answer questions and send a few photos then I won't buy. A sellers communication, or lack thereof, can often be a good indication on how they run their business. If they are too lazy to communicate and send pics, alarm bells start ringing.

no.nine, patient_ot and raye_penber like this.
  3. SoNineties

SoNineties Forum Resident

I would have stopped here.
    Something to hide? I don't want to find out...

Lol. As if you would!

100% feedback...
    Sure.
    Discogs feedback, as if it meant anything.

Sorry for your experience.

I recently tried to give discogs another go.
    Contacted two sellers (100% feedback, again) to reconfirm matrix of an LP.
    Both confirmed... that they had listed under the wrong release!
    None of them has moved the item under the right release page.

I suppose I should thank them for being honest.
    meh.

uzn007, raye_penber and patient_ot like this.
  4. patient_ot

patient_ot Senior Member

In this case "years of experience" must equate to stone deaf. Feedback doesn't necessarily mean anything anymore w/r/t grading. Too many newbs in the hobby that are overjoyed because a record showed up the in the mail regardless of the condition or grading accuracy.

For the polar opposite, here's a recent experience not on Discogs. Ordered a bunch of used LPs and CDs from a shop where I'm a repeat customer. I get one record that is graded as they said except for one problem. A deep scratch that basically ruins two songs. Loud popping as a result. I cleaned it twice on my RCM, no dice. Reached out, they asked for a photo and vid. I gave it to them. Minutes later they credited my account and apologized. That's how you earn repeat business.

tmtomh, no.nine, Myke and 2 others like this.
  5. eddiel

eddiel Senior Member

Yeah at least they checked! :)

Happened to me a few times. Only once did the seller actually move the record to the correct listing. I did try and report a couple. Not sure if they were eventually moved after Discogs stepped in or if Discogs even stepped in. I often find listings where the description clearly states it's a different copy than the entry it is listed under. Sometimes the correct entry exists however it is possible the seller added his item before the other entry was added.

tmtomh likes this.
  6. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

what a tool.

raye_penber likes this.
  7. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

You ask the seller for a play-grade and he refuses, then you ask for pics and it's radio silence but you decide to order anyway? No, the hyperbole wasn't what should've tipped you off. Sorry but that was just asking for trouble.

Sellers ignore inquiries regularly. Most people are flakes so that's to be expected but I don't compound it by taking unnecessary chances, either. In this past week, I've asked for matrix info, a play-grade, verification of the UPC, and in all 3 cases, my msgs were not returned. I always count myself lucky that I dodged a bullet, each time. If a seller can't be bothered to do something which takes a mere few seconds, it's safe to say he quite likely did not bother spending much time and care in grading his stock either... so it's an easy pass from me and I happily move onto another seller.

GentleSenator and cporcp like this.
  8. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Toronto. I thought Canadians were supposed to have manners?
    You dispelled that myth.

At the time, it was the only copy that met my requirements.
    It was that copy or no copy.
    Based on his feedback I chalked it up to a period of busyness and decided to give him the benefit of the doubt.
    More fool me in that instance (I'd only just got back into vinyl, and assumed that most sellers would at least be reputable given the feedback).

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    uzn007 likes this.
  9. Strat-Mangler

If that's another example of your logic, I can see why you got in trouble in the first place. I wasn't being rude but if you're going to slam a whole country's population, why should I express restraint? If you can stop with the theatrics for a moment,... My post was written in a way to show how you've initially separated yourself from any accountability whatsoever in the situation and my suggestion was to move on if you encounter the same scenario again.

That is what I do. I make a mistake, own up to it, make a mental note not to repeat it in the future, and hope for the best as it's not a guarantee there won't be trouble down the road. There are terrific and terrible sellers on any platform and I agree the seller you encountered fell in the latter group.

As for the specific pressing you wanted, another lesson I learned is if I'm patient enough, another copy will appear when you least expect it.

10. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Clearly, that was a joke (based on a well-known and somewhat accepted stereotype).

Briefly, to address your points:
    I made no such mistake.
    I was consistently polite to the seller.
    I left without leaving feedback, and didn't take up his offer of a refund - so no extra effort was involved on his behalf. From my perspective it was inconvenient, but I had no animosity towards the seller. Funnily enough, I waited and bought another copy several months later.

As for 'theatrics' and further examples of my 'logic' - I have no idea what you're talking about. I'm not sure what you're arguing against, but I've got better things to do. I'm sure you do too. Let's move on.
    Have a problem?
    Take it to PM.
    If you're civil I may even reply.

11. no.nine

no.nine (not his real name)

Agreed, and in addition to what you've written, here's another reason not to leave negative feedback without contacting the seller first: Discogs' policy states that a dissatisfied buyer must at least allow the seller a chance to make things right before leaving feedback. If you go straight to feedback, and the seller complains to Discogs, your feedback WILL be removed. I believe this might even apply to neutral feedback. If you tried to work with the seller first, but they do not offer a satisfactory resolution, then your feedback is much more likely to stick. (It can still be removed if your feedback is abusive or uses profanity, etc.)

EDIT: Haha, just saw that I've already posted about this in the thread. Oh well, it was quite some time ago. No wonder I forgot.

cporcp likes this.
  12. cporcp

cporcp Forum Resident

My experience, exactly. Leaving anything other than positive feedback can be tricky. Slander is also prohibited.
    People can - and will - get nasty, even over small sums, which is why I typically post WTB’s here, rather than use Discogs.

no.nine likes this.
  13. Strat-Mangler

Sarcasm through the written language can be challenging, especially online. I doubt it actually was an attempt at humour but I'd suggest using emoticons to communicate that clearly next time.

Confirms what I stated previously where it doesn't appear you've learned what to do in the future.

That's another issue. Feedback is only good and accurate if buyers leave some. The seller has as the option to either refund you fully or partially. If that wasn't good enough, you have the ability to warn others. Unfortunately, I see this behavior all too often and it leads to inaccurate 100% seller profiles, making the feedback system not the most reliable thing in the world... hence why it's always best to send a message to the seller first. If you get a bad vibe, you move on regardless of the seller's rating.

14. no.nine

Yes. If you're going to leave negative or neutral feedback, it's a good idea to do so in a calm, professional manner. Just sticking to the reason for your dissatisfaction without angry embellishment is always best.

15. Strat-Mangler

Exactly the way it should be.

no.nine likes this.
  16. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Yeah, I'll pass on that particular suggestion.

Interesting assumption.
    But, again, completely wrong.
    As stated, this was some time ago (five years) and an isolated incident. These days if a seller doesn't respond, I don't buy. No big deal.
    The only person offended here appears to be you.

I think we could all do without the negativity right now.
    Move on.

uzn007 likes this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Not offended in the least. Take care.

Christian Hill and GentleSenator like this.
  18. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

doctor heed thine own advice

19. danielkov86

danielkov86 Playing Devil's Avocado Since 1986

Bumping to ask for advice.

I bought a record from a UK seller, it was advertised VG+ with "no defects." Got it today and it has a long scratch on one side that produces an annoying tic. Really pissed off. He said he doesn't accept returns and offered an $8 partial refund, which I find insulting as I paid about $36 total for the record.

I'm considering opening a Paypal claim. The only issue is I believe Paypal will force me to pay for the return shipping. To ship it International would cost at least $15-20, I imagine. Is there anyway around this? Any way to force the seller to pay?

20. featheredfiend

featheredfiend Forum Resident

That sucks. If all else fails, you can shred the Seller by submitting extremely negative Feedback on Discogs’ site...won’t get you your money back but it may put a dent in his/her income and keep other Buyers from getting burned the way you did.

melstapler likes this.
  21. uzn007

uzn007 Pack Rat

He'll just tell Discogs that he offered a return and they'll remove the negative feedback.

I would probably file a claim through Paypal unless maybe I thought I could sell the record (at a reduced grade) domestically.

cporcp and melstapler like this.
  22. R. Totale

R. Totale The Voice of Reason

Open the claim through Paypal as "Item Significantly Not As Described" (which it is). It is unlikely you will be asked to front return postage, but let it play out and see what they say.

melstapler and uzn007 like this.
  23. danielkov86

If I go that route I will probably wait till day 89 to do it so he can't leave me retaliatory feedback in return (Discogs gives you 90 days to leave feedback.)

melstapler likes this.
  24. no.nine

Paypal has a program where they'll reimburse you for return shipping. It used to be up to $30; it might still be, but I haven't used it in quite some time so I don't know if anything's changed. And IIRC, there's a limit on how many reimbursements you can file for. You have to sign up for the service, but that should be easy enough.

https://www.paypal.com/for-you/shop/refunded-returns

Dave, melstapler and uzn007 like this.
  25. danielkov86

I just read Paypal's policy and it states:
    "IMPORTANT: You may be required to return the item to the seller or other party we specify as part of the settlement of your claim. PayPal’s Purchase Protection program does not entitle you to reimbursement for the return shipping costs that you may incur."

:(

melstapler likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.