Megadeth on vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Soundslave, Feb 24, 2018.

1. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

RockyMTnLeg Shaver Forum Resident

I don't actually have a UK or US original to compare it to but the dynamics are there and you can crank this album. I can't imagine anything really to be improved upon except the bass but it seems to be lacking on the original US and UK too, although it sounds great on Peace Sells and Devil's Island. I would also agree with some of the others that it is not a great recording to begin with. The production got much better starting with Rust in Peace.

Soundslave likes this.
  2. Soundslave

Soundslave Forum Resident Thread Starter

Yeah, seems there's not a lot to improve on as I've mentioned in my comment regarding the bass.
    Still I really like the overall tone of PSBWB, so that's why I had my hopes for original LP (even though again the 2011 remastered LP from the boxset is real good and maybe the best version for those who need more weight, bass and separation).
    Would be nice to hear a comparison of your Japan pressing vs others, of course if there's someone close to your area with US or UK LP :) or you actually can look for a needledrop of any version and compare it. Thanks for the comment \m/

RockyMTnLeg Shaver likes this.
  3. ripping corpse

ripping corpse Forum Resident

Good to know there may be a better alternative on vinyl for PSBWB than the original US, I may have to track down a Japan press now.
    I hate to say it but I almost prefer the cd I have over the vinyl for Peace......

4. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

Honestly my original CD of So Far So Good So What sounds so good it's hard to believe the vinyl could sound better. In my experience 80's metal vinyl sometimes really chokes on the high frequencies and you get a smeary mess. But certainly not all (I love vinyl).

ripping corpse likes this.
  5. cjefferys

cjefferys Forum Resident

I still have my original Capitol/Combat CD of Peace Sells, which I think sounds better than other versions I heard. I first bought this album on XDR cassette, which I thought sounded even better than the CD which I picked up a few months later. Of course, my equipment at the time was kind of crappy, I wish I still had that cassette to see how it sounds to me now.

Soundslave likes this.
  6. 808_state

808_state ヤマハで再生中

The ultimate irony of this new found information is that the 80's is pretty much the peak time period for the "treble boost" that the detractors of Japanese vinyl never fail to bring up following its mention.
    You would think if any album would have it, a thrash metal album with blistering high frequency solos would be the one. They are condemned as though they are all "damaged goods" and that
    it's best to avoid them. Certainly it was a thing but not as ubiquitous as some would lead you to believe. It's also interesting to note that some of the Japan releases that seem to be cut a little hotter do just
    fine with a microline diamond but not so good with line contact. My guess is that most detractors are using line contact.

Soundslave likes this.
  7. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

Well I couldn't help myself and just got a great deal on the 3 LPs only from the 2011 box set. Should be here in about a week and I will report back on the 2011 vs my '86 Japanese press. I've tempered my expectations because I think there is only so much I think that can be done with the album given the original recording, but we'll see.

Soundslave likes this.
  8. Soundslave

Woah! That's cool Rocky! I'm super eager to hear from you :)
    Again to me it's amazing what Chris Bellman done with the 2011 digital remaster for the vinyl version on the boxset. The digital .wav is overly compressed.

9. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Rust In Peace
    Countdown to Extinction
    Youthanasia
    Cryptic Writings

Can someone confirm the best of the reissue pressings?
    I fleetingly owned a 'Capitol from the vaults' Peace Sells ... it was an atrocious and muddy sounding affair, and was returned immediately.
    I've heard good things about some of the other reissues - where do I start?

10. Soundslave

Well, you don't have a lot of options on Cryptic Writings for sure.
    Since I created this thread to voice other fans' opinions and experience, feel free to check all the posts because RIP and PSBWB topics were already covered I think.

raye_penber likes this.
  11. raye_penber

raye_penber .

Thanks - appreciated. But it's quite a confusing and twisting thread.
    If someone could sum it up in a nutshell I'm sure it'd benefit future readers (me, too).

12. Soundslave

Ok, per your request :)

First of all, 2008 From the Vaults version of PSBWB has the original 1986 mix. That's common information, but I think it's important to start with it.
    Also
    ^ Megadeth Capitol 'Vaults' reissues... specifically regarding Rust in Peace
    The 2011 remastered LP is only found in 25th Anniversary boxset - it was never released separately.
    In 2017 Capitol reissued the 2008 version once again, now with the sticker "75th Vinyl Anniversary" (same deadwax info as 2008 version).

Now let's get to opinions.
    In my experience of comparing original 1986 UK (NICKZ) LP, 2011 remastered LP and 2017 Capitol from the Vaults reissue I think from the Vaults is the least pleasing one.
    First of all it was the lowest in volume (of course which might suggest that it is the most dynamic, but often it might not be the case).
    Original 1986 UK was cut louder, has far more high frequencies and in general feels more lively in it's presentation - I noticed that vocals, snare drum and guitars were more forward to the listener and it sounded a lot more clear and a bit "saturated" as I've noted. Megadeth on vinyl
    The 2011 remastered LP had better bass and highs than 2017 (2008) version and also had better separation than any of those versions. The volume was not that different from 1986 UK.

To sum up - in my opinion, you're safe with original 1986 version (at least a UK one) or 2011 boxset and Capitol from the Vaults 2008 (2017) is not worth it.

People also noted that original 1986 master lacks some bass which is again corrected on 2011 remaster.

joshm2286 and raye_penber like this.
  13. blind_melon1

blind_melon1 An erotic adventurer of the most deranged kind....

I have originals for;
    Peace Sells....
    So Far So Good......
    Rust in Peace
    Countdown to Extinction (Korean)
    Youthanasia (Korea)
    Cryptic Writings

The best sounding ones are RIP and Cryptic

The drums and guitar tone on RIP are awesome, and Cryptic is one fat sounding LP :)

14. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

My plan is still to compare my Japanese press of PSBWB to the 2011 Chris Bellman cut and report back. With the pandemic still ongoing, my wife and I have been in the house together a lot and so metal rarely makes it to the turntable, but hopefully soon.

Soundslave likes this.
  15. Dorian75

Dorian75 Forum President

Ha funny you say that, I too have had very little metal playing for the same reason! I was able to have a headphone session the other night and listened to my Rhino Box set copy of '...And Justice For All' entirely through. What an incredibly brutal album that is! \m/

16. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

I don't have a headphone set up, but it's on the list to get soon.

Dorian75 likes this.
  17. RockyMTnLeg Shaver

I picked up the latest re-mastered/re-issued LP of The World Needs a Hero. I am very happy with the sound. It has a small bit of compression but you can really crank it. Both records were very flat and clean. Underrated album with a few really awesome tracks.

Soundslave, kannibal and raye_penber like this.
  18. Johnny Ryall

Johnny Ryall Forum Resident

Ran into a copy of Countdown on wax the other day at the local 2nd hand shop that always has trash, schlager and liscio records and never ever anything worth your while.
    I was maybe the first one I've ever seen!
    Cover was so-so but the price tag said it was only 10 euro. The inner sleeve is in bad conditions, all wrinkled and this feels like will not end well.
    I slide the record out while quicly repeating this mantra to myself "oh god please let it be at least vg, oh god please let it be at least vg, oh god please let it be at least vg".
    Nope, huge nasty gash one side :( Back in the shelf.
    End of story

19. I recently made this video that some of you may find interesting:

Soundslave likes this.
  20. Soundslave

That's good to hear :) Me and a friend of mine pre-ordered that reissue as it was announced and thought it was okay as well. Mind you the original was already compressed and I think the recent reissue we're both talking about sounds good on vinyl. I don't think they could improve the digital/CD version since those recent remasters don't give much hope based on DR, but at least they're kinda in a way of The Last Kill - loud, but not full of distortion.

On a side note - just for the sake of it I pulled a trigger on an early reissue of original DMM EU pressing of PSBWB. I hope the condition is as described and it would make an interesting comparison between DMM EU and original UK that I have.

21. Soundslave

Wow :)
    You know, I have a pretty strange love/hate thing with original CtE mastering and if there would be something between the "trebley" Columbia pressing and significantly "muffled" Venezuela one - that would be my choice :)
    I prefer the meatier Venezuela sound on your video but it lacks some high-mid for sure.

22. MegaRebirth

MegaRebirth Forum Resident

Fun thread to read through.

A local record shop has the Dystopia picture disc (2016). Is it safe to assume that this is an identical pressing (in terms of sound quality) to the 2016 reissue on regular (black 180g) vinyl?

Also, the same shop has The System has Failed orange disc (2016). Any thoughts on sound quality of this disc versus the 2019 reissue (black 180g)?

Thanks.

Soundslave likes this.
  23. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I'm not sure how long I will have to wait for a proper reissue of Countdown but I will keep waiting..

joshm2286 likes this.
  24. MegaRebirth

MegaRebirth Forum Resident

I have the CtE picture disc (2014). Sound quality isn't bad. By "proper reissue," do you mean something that isn't remastered or a better remastering?

joshm2286 likes this.
  25. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I just dont want to buy a picture disc.

Daniel Plainview likes this.