CSNY Deja Vu 50th anniversary reissue - May 14, 2021 *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Josip, Mar 15, 2020.

1. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Crosby long ago lost his publishing on everything. Nash bought some but they went back to Crosby in further troubles to pay stuff. He tours to survive much like Dick Dale did. If you play to 300 the net is peanuts after expenses.....he has to grind it out. Young and Nash got hit hard in divorces but were millionaires many times over.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Pity he's not a Brit, his lack of work/income would not affect his medical treatment he would still get all the insulin he needs, in fact nobody pays for insulin, those with Diabetes get it for free and as he's over sixty all his other prescription meds would be free too.

Plan9, duneman, Tuck1977 and 8 others like this.
  3. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Perhaps, but it would be moot point as he would have likely died waiting for his liver transplant while government bureaucrats decided if he needed one.

(INCOMING! 3, 2.... )

Lee Davis and billnunan like this.
  4. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

My mother’s UK mother-in-law lived into her late 90s despite having cancer in her 80s. Guess the government bureaucrats didn’t kill her.

Plan9, mr. steak, Peter A and 5 others like this.
  5. MidnightRocks

MidnightRocks Forum Resident

Agreed. One of my favourites from their entire catalogue. Goes to show what they could have produced new in the '90s!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

Actually David has spoken at length how he had to jump through a ton of hoops to get one thanks to the Mickey Mantle debacle

7. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Where did Pegi Young's money go after she passed?

Crosby could make several thousand per show if he sold actual meet and greets and signed CSN albums for $50 a throw.

8. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Well yea, but what does that “responsibility”
    really mean?

So would he buy Stills a brand-new D-45? Would he send it back to Martin to have it buffed out & re-finished like new? Do it himself on his workshop bench? Or - most likely - just “acknowledge” that - yup, he was responsible for that, alrighty, sorry? My point, it is a nice thing to say, but not very meaningful for a brand-new uber-expensive rare-at-the-time limited guitar. I always smile when i hear his manning up to the responsibility. :p:p:p

Last edited: May 7, 2020
    Anthrax likes this.
  9. Nomadicarchivist

Nomadicarchivist Forum Resident

According to his twitter account he no longer does

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. rrbbkk

rrbbkk Forum Resident

Okay, here's my version of your version. Damn if it isn't really cool! We'll see if YouTube pulls it down>

YouTube

11. Chee

Chee Forum Resident

Where did that Young ranch go she got? Where did her Cali divorce money go? Crosby's record royalties were eaten up a long time ago. The back catalog of Byrds and CSN etc. doesn't move many units anyway. Ask Stills about the download check he got once, peanuts. Touring is income now by most everybody from that generation. Townshend was smart to recover all his publishing he sold bits and pieces to like the Allen Kleins of the word and sell it all with his owned songs. The figure is a mystery. I heard 90 million then crucified by the U.K. tax.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  12. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Presumably to her children.

faceinthecrowd and Matthew Tate like this.
  13. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

at this point I don't expect much more out of those four than comedic relief. DV was the only decent studio album they made, and even that was marred imo by the two Nash songs. The Ohio single and a few other songs from their two other rather dire studio albums, some outtakes from the box set, and that's it for about 50 years. and Crosby thinks they're "Town Criers' who have a pertinent message these days. Atomic eye roll: does he really think people are so uninformed they need to rely on CSNY for the news?

Sad because there's an abundance of talent there that can't figure out a way to respectfully and productively collaborate

Can't think of another band that coasted for so long on so little

14. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Mike Nesmith on doing Meet and Greets. Apparently Nez has become cooler than Croz?

How have you enjoyed going to those nostalgia conventions recently where you sign autographs and take photos with fans? Are those fun days for you?
    That, oddly enough, I love. And it is odd because I fought it for decades. “I’m not going to go and sign my autograph for $100.” A few people would ask the salient point of “Why not?” I thought, “That’s a hard question to answer. If someone wanted to give me $100 for my autograph, I suppose I’d do it.” And then the answer comes back from the promoter, “Well, I have about 4,000 people that want to do that.” I was like, “Hmm. Wait a minute.” And so I go and do it. The first time I did it I felt like a sellout. “I don’t think this is for me.” But that weekend I made six figures.

DougB217, JDeanB and Spencer R like this.
  15. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’ll never get the disdain for Nash. He was an equal partner with the other three, in my opinion, and by far their most commercial writer. I guess that equals “sell out” to many, but I’m sure the other three didn’t begrudge the extra sales and exposure that “Teach Your Children,” “Our House,” and “Just A Song Before I Go,” to name just a few, afforded the band.

I don’t want to get my news from David Crosby, but he and his bandmates haven’t just coasted on their talent, all four of them have done a lot more excellent work beyond the excellent first two CSN/CSNY albums. Croz certainly wasted a lot of time in the 80s and 90s, but he’s been putting out a lot of good work in recent years. Good for him.

Tingman, Woodville and Matthew Tate like this.
  16. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Nothing is free...it's called taxes.

Spencer R likes this.
  17. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

That’s absolutely correct. But if the premise of insurance is pooling risk among as many people as possible, the biggest possible pool, i.e., the whole country, makes the most sense.

Plan9, Tingman, Peter A and 5 others like this.
  18. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

What is your go-to version?

19. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

As noted, the original CD.

20. Icenine1

Icenine1 Forum Resident

lukpac
    I read back here and bought the version you suggested from Discogs. Thank you!

21. IHeartRecordsAz

IHeartRecordsAz Forum Resident

Hep Alien and Matthew Tate like this.
  22. IHeartRecordsAz

Yeah, plus Neil also confirmed recently that Ben still lives on the ranch, as well. Which made me very happy to hear.

23. IHeartRecordsAz

I read that this version (with the guitar solos, drums and bass after the original acapella section) were overdubbed and recorded in 1980 for this compilation, so it most likely won’t be. And it definitely sounds like they were recorded then too, IMO.

24. ronbow

ronbow Senior Member

Yes, certainly one of their best, and, no, it shows what they capable of in the’70’s.

ARK likes this.
  25. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

I don’t want to wade into medical politics, but at his age, Croz is definitely on government provided insurance - Medicare.