Binge-worthy TV Shows for Isolation

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Vidiot, Apr 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Adam-12. Watched the last and first episode today. Watched it as a kid back in the "1870s". It was a good show then & is a good show now. Over & out.

2. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR! Thread Starter

I thought Adam 12 was a terrible show, but I get that it was a winning formula and had a big audience for a time. To me, it's extremely dated and hard to watch nowadays... but I confess I'll watch it for a few minutes if I click past an episode just to see what LA looked like 40-45 years ago. They shot a lot in and around Universal in North Hollywood, and a lot of those neighborhoods are shown in the episodes.

Chrome_Head likes this.
  3. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

one of the best shows , that kinda went unnoticed (a shame)

S3 and S4 are top TV , up there with anything great that came out in the last 15 years

on topic , i'll just mention these 4 iconic shows that are top in their class and are mandatory watching

Breaking Bad
    The Wire
    The Shield
    Mad Men

Dahabenzapple and Ted Bell like this.
  4. Dirkwkirk

Dirkwkirk Forum Resident

Yes it is dated. And I agree about the old footage. I like to spot out all the older cars. And smog.

ubiknik likes this.
  5. Martinn

Martinn Forum Resident

Breaking Bad
    Ozark
    Bloodline
    After Life

kanakaris likes this.
  6. proedros

proedros Forum Resident

Outsider is very nice to pass the time , well done supernatural horrow TV

have seen all shows you mention (even quarry) , i suggest you start/watch these 3 which are a)top TV and b)very underated shows

The Leftovers
    Halt and Catch Fire (AMC)
    Succession (HBO)

also westworld is very weak , if you want this kind of mindf.uck sci-fi i suggest you start reading some Philip K Dick books (which is where they probably stole many central ideas for the show)

Chrome_Head likes this.
  7. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

I recall one scene from A 12 wherein Kent asked Martin,
    How come you always get to drive and I don't
    ?
    Probably saw it on a outtake/blooper show back then.

They shot on my street a few times, as did Rockford (a nice high speed chase once) and various other Uni shows.

Vidiot likes this.
  8. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

She was great in that show.

9. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

The Outsider is good but slow : i like that pace.
    Quarry is even better.

10. ralphb

ralphb "First they came for..."

Absolutely Fabulous
    Golden Girls
    Will & Grace

Raylinds likes this.
  11. Vidiot

I'm amazed that Rockford, Adam 12, Columbo, and all the other Universal detectives didn't actually crash into each other, because they were all driving around those same neighborhoods.

Funny story: around 1984, I was working at a now-defunct video company on Lankershim, just 2 blocks from Universal. We heard a ruckus behind our building, and they were shooting an episode of Knight Rider in the alley. We snuck out to observe the crew and found out they were also going to be shooting more the next day. One of my co-workers brought his young 5-year-old son the next night, and the boy was absolutely transfixed to see David Hasselhoff and the actual car right there before his eyes. Hasselhoff saw him, came over, and let the kid sit behind the wheel for a minute or two, and it was a wonderful moment. I think Hasselhoff is kind of a terrible actor, but he's a wonderful person for doing something as kind as that. Made the kid's day.

12. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

He may be a terrible actor, but the man brought down the Berlin Wall with the power of song!

13. rmath84

rmath84 Forum Resident

When I retired I worked as an extra for awhile. I saw a lot of examples of huge stars taking a minute to do something kind. We see them in weaker moments on TMZ or what ever but I found most actors to be thoughtful, intelligent people.

Lurgan Lad and Vidiot like this.
  14. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer

My wife and I have found the syrupy utopian feel-good family shows from the sixties the perfect escape from the endless pandemic news. We've been watching Family Affair, the Doris Day Show, Hazel, My Three Sons, Dick Van Dyke, etc.

I get That some might find some of these shows boring and sappy, but we are really enjoying them. We are shocked at how much we enjoy Family Affair even though we see the flaws.

15. Karnak

Karnak "81, 82, 83, 84..."

I watched the ' new and improved' Battlestar Galactica in large helpings a few years ago. It was ok...

16. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

Beaver:Wally?
    Wally: Yeah Beave...
    Beaver: How come nobody likes accordions no more?
    Wally: Geez, Beaver...accordions are creepy now that The Beatles are here.

[​IMG]

Gramps Tom and MisterNines like this.
  17. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Have to agree on Westworld unfortunately. Started out kinda interesting and had potential, and then rapidly disappeared up its own rear end. I couldn’t even finish the 2nd season.

I would add True Detective to the list of binge-worthy shows (but only season 1).

That’s funny, I currently live about half a mile or so from there.

proedros likes this.
  18. Vidiot

Some are. What's baffling is when you encounter nobody actors in a position of power and they're absolute a-holes. I've had to deal with a few of those.

greenscreened likes this.
  19. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

There's a lot of big names that couldn't be nicer.
    Then there's some that have the 'Don't-you-know-who-I am'? attitude.
    Even worse, there's some no-name extras, or workers behind, or no where near the camera that have the uppity
    'Don't-you-know-who-I'm-GONNA-be? attitude.

I've heard that Danny DeVito and possibly Ron Howard at least once has suddenly turned to a random crew member of any stature and asked them something to the effect of,
    'How do you think this scene should be done'?!
    Err-Ughh homINa-homINa-HOMMMin-aaa....

Myself, I've been binging on Raymond, The King Of Queens, Home Improvement, Rockford, Wanted Dead Or Alive, Cheers, and just yesterday dug out the Alfred Hitchcock Presents DVDs.

bmasters9 and Vidiot like this.
  20. GLUDFSSR

GLUDFSSR Senior Member

Arrested Development

pjc1 and MisterNines like this.
  21. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

Mary Hartman
    Mary Hartman

I've watched 91 episodes out of 325, 28% of the box. 234 to go.

22. Travelers on Netflix. Terrific show that was cancelled after three seasons. Would have loved to see a movie or final season to wrap things up but it didn’t leave it too open.

23. Mylene

Mylene Senior Member

I watched High Fidelity in two days. If you want to see an original Man Who Sold the World with a misprinted label this is the closest you're ever going to get.

24. bmasters9

bmasters9 Forum Resident

I've been doing very much likewise w/The Untouchables (the original 1959-63 ABC Robert Stack series), albeit not back-to-back-to-back-- I'm on the fourth and final go (1962-63) on that one.

25. Yovra

Yovra Collector of Beatles Threads

I’m watching Westworld during my indoor rowing workouts. Never got further than the first two episodes when it was first aired and now I’ve just finished season 1! Dark and confusing! Bonanza meets Blade Runner!

AlphabetMan and bmasters9 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.