May The 4th Be With You - Happy Star Wars Day!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by ando here, May 3, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. FredV

FredV Senior Member

2. David Campbell

David Campbell Forum Resident

Whenever I hear the fandom Menace people and others whine about the prequels and the sequels,its these kinds of people I'm imagining doing the complaining. 40 year old men that probably should let the kids of today have their Star Wars instead of trying to endlessly cling to their childhood for dear life.

ando here and FACE OF BOE like this.
  3. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

I was enjoying this little gem on May the 4th as well as despecialized. Thank god for the fans!

4. FredV

FredV Senior Member

ando here likes this.
  5. ando here

ando here Forum Resident Thread Starter

:laugh: good one. Thanks.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    Exotiki likes this.
  6. Exotiki

It's a whole album! Princess Leia's Stolen Death Star Plans. (...and a damn good one might i add)

ando here likes this.
  7. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Well, aside from the fact that SNL these days is - and I hope the Gorts allow me a moment of indulgence - essentially a paid advertisement for the U.S. Democratic Party, there's actually a kernel of truth in that otherwise satirical skit...

That being said, there is still a lot of legitimate criticism over both the prequel and sequel trilogies... the former (despite it's innumerable flaws) I have much more affection for than the latter, despite the fact that the latter are arguably better-made films... but the former actually has a story of real thematic, dramatic, and emotional heft to tell, and is not beholden to a PC agenda... alas, the same cannot be said of the latter.

Rogue One may or may not have been deliberately 'diverse' in it's principle character assembly... but the fact that 99% of SW fans I've heard and read absolutely love it, proves to me that ethnicity is not a criteria for criticism of Disney SW fare... at least not for the sane contingent thereof.

Last edited: May 8, 2020
    JediJones likes this.
  8. ando here

ando here Forum Resident Thread Starter

:shrug:Congratulations?

BeatleJWOL likes this.
  9. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I was wondering, why did they previously skip 4K80?
    Could be my OCD but I prefer seeing people (re)working on things chronologically.

10. Exotiki

IIRC its because they hadn't found a quality print for Empire yet and they had this fantastic print of Jedi so they worked on that to hopefully increases their chances of having a better print pop up for Empire later. (Which it did)

andrewskyDE likes this.
  11. MrRom92

MrRom92 Forum Supermodel

I think that they had such a fantastic print of for Jedi had a lot to do with it, it was one generation off the negative and needed practically no cleanup to my understanding. The other two were in need of extensive retouching, even 4K77 took a long while between announcement and release IIRC.

I think it’ll be a while before we see empire, and it probably won’t be the prettiest one of the bunch. Unless a nicer print turns up while it’s still a work in progress, my understanding is their print is just a dupe of a release print, and a somewhat faded one at that. That’s quite a few generations down and the release print it was made from would have already been subjected to quite a bit of wear & tear. And it’s all baked into the image so they can’t even wetgate it.

Exotiki, budwhite and andrewskyDE like this.
  12. David Campbell

I don't want to turn this thread into another pointless left vs. Right culture battle...but I do want to ask this question of someone that isn't some wild eyed lunatic as seems to be common among the reddit/YouTube anti new era Star Wars,and you are one of the few reasonable sequel critics who is actually interested in having actual conversations...

What exactly is "PC" about the new trilogy?

I mean, the only thing I can think that remotely fits that agenda is like a couple of lines in the last Jedi about slavery being wrong and profiting off of war being bad...but,is that really a crazy left wing sjw position? I'd consider my self a right leaning centrist and I'd say child slavery and war profiteering are bad things. What's the controversy there? I mean it's barely like five minutes out of like a combined 6 hours or content between the three movies and ultimately isn't that big of a deal.

I doubt when you say that the new films were pushing some PC agenda you mean it's simply because of having a slightly more diverse cast and a female lead. I give you far more credit than that. So where is the PC agenda in the new movies exactly? That's an honest question and not some sort of gotcha thing. I'd like an explanation why you and others feel that way because when I've tried to bring it up other places ,the reply is either something along the lines of "well,it just is." Or "if I have to explain it to you, you are obviously either too stupid to get it or you are an SJW yourself."

Again,I'm not looking for an argument or a fight. I'm actually trying to understand...because after rewatching the prequels,originals and the sequels in order last fall, I failed to see where it was completely out of line with the already present "fascist dictatorships and war are bad things" undercurrent that already existed.

I mean, George Lucas actually paraphrased a George W. Bush speech and had Darth Vader himself spout that philosophy in revenge of the sith with Obi-wan responding "only Sith deal in absolutes". To me,having George basically call a then sitting Republican president a Sith is far more on the nose as an obvious political statement than anything else in Star Wars,including the new films. I don't recall anything comparable there.

Last edited: May 10, 2020
    The Hermit likes this.
  13. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

Hi David... let me think about that answer for a little bit and get back to you when I can properly phrase it in a way that won't get me deleted and/or banned, okay?

14. David Campbell

Actually...just PM me when you can properly phrase it.

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

17. Quadboy

Quadboy Forum Resident

18. gabacabriel

gabacabriel Forum Resident

I would be amazed if it was anything other than the 1997 SE.

If it's the 1980 version - I am THERE!!!

andrewskyDE and Exotiki like this.
  19. David Campbell

Good news is the SE of Empire is the least altered of the trilogy.

I'm jealous of you guys. Hopefully they'll do a rerelease here in the states. I'd go In a heartbeat.

Exotiki likes this.
  20. Exotiki

Me too!

21. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Once again...

[​IMG]

Cool doc above. And, of course, there's always the classic, Empire of Dreams.

May The Force Be With You.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 4, 2021
    BeatleJWOL likes this.
  22. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Senior Member

The Bad Batch sequel-of-sorts to the Clone Wars animated TV series launches today.

The series premiere is 70+ minutes; should be interesting.

NickySee likes this.
  23. FredV

FredV Senior Member

24. NickySee

NickySee Forum Resident

Merde. No Disney Plus Trial. Maybe.

Meantime, a few SW laughs...

25. JediJones

JediJones Forum Resident

"Fandom Menace" people as I've seen it are anti-sequel, as done by Disney, but not anti-prequel.

What's PC about the new trilogy? It comes down to a really toxic mix of the filmmakers wanting to have a female lead yet feeling that had to be married to a "girl power" agenda. That led directly to one of the most "Mary Sue" characters any major motion picture has ever had. Mary Sue-ness kills the effectiveness of storytelling, giving any story the feel of cheap fan-fiction. Rey becomes extremely skilled, powerful and beloved or desired by every other character in the very first sequel trilogy movie without being shown to have earned any of it. This makes her a very hard character to identify with and relate to. Almost no movies are ever written that way. Usually, Hollywood knows we want to see movies with underdogs who have to claw their way up from the bottom before they get to the top.

The "girl power" agenda behind Rey also means they write her as being far too independent, either not needing or refusing help from other characters. This absolutely breaks down what worked so well in the original trilogy to develop character relationships. EVERY main character in the original trilogy is shown at different times as being in trouble, captured, on the verge of death, etc., and absolutely needing to be helped or rescued by the other characters. This developed their relationships and bonds, allowing the characters to show they cared about each other, making the original Star Wars trilogy some of the greatest movies ever made about friendship. Audiences loved the OT characters so much for this reason that even critics often described them as friends they were saying good-bye to after Return of the Jedi.

This desire to make Rey uber-independent also led the filmmakers to abandon scripts that had Luke in a leading role in the first sequel film. He was seen as "overshadowing" Rey. So fans who are aware of this, therefore, also blame the filmmakers' approach to Rey for undermining what almost every viewer would've voted to see, at least one more film with leading roles for Luke, Han and Leia, working together as a team.

The opportunity to identify with and relate to the characters in the sequel trilogy was absolutely shredded by the feminist-leaning agenda behind the movie that misled the filmmakers into corrupting many of the basic principles of screenwriting. I think Rian Johnson was smarter with his screenplay for The Last Jedi, giving Rey more challenges to overcome, but he was behind the eight-ball as he struggled to get around what had been inappropriately established by J. J. Abrams in The Force Awakens. But J. J. Abrams undid every improvement Johnson tried to make with the third movie. In no time at all, Rey is back to solving impossible puzzles with uncommon wisdom that no other character can accomplish. And Kathleen Kennedy didn't help matters by mandating they bring back The Emperor in a really cheap marketing move that never felt justified or convincing in the movie at all.

Last edited: May 4, 2021
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.