Abbey Road 50th contents, outtakes and sound quality thread .. only

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by audiotom, Aug 9, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. soundQman

soundQman Senior Member

George and Ringo were more successful and prominent as songwriters and as solo recording artists than when they were in the group. The opposite is true for John and Paul.

2. imajindat

imajindat Forum Resident

I know I'm super late with this but just wanted to add - I got the box set and the outtakes discs are fine, but the album has surface noise on both sides. Intermittent on 'Something', and then on side2 its just random on the first half. It isn't horrendous but at the same time if I'm spending $75 it better be perfect! Hopefully the replacement will be better

Clanceman and fishcane like this.
  3. SNDVSN

SNDVSN Forum Resident

I bought the single album and the surface noise is terrible, it's also cut really low in volume which doesn't help.

Lewisboogie likes this.
  4. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I gave up on the single disc. It's a disgrace that QRP can produce quiet vinyl and botched this important release. I got one from Acoustic Sounds and one from Amazon. Both pretty bad, kept the better of the two and returned the other. What a shame. Hope there's a repress at some point. Meanwhile I love my French Pathe pressing.

AppleCorp3 and DK Pete like this.
  5. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

I have the French pressing...in the past i used to hear nothing but negative opinions on it and I couldn't understand why...nice to see someone likes it!

6. Marc Perman

Marc Perman Forum Resident

I like it as well.

DK Pete likes this.
  7. Vinylfindco

Vinylfindco The Pressing Matters

I believe it's the same plates as the U.K.

DK Pete likes this.
  8. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The French pressing should correctly be referred to as the "France-for-UK" pressing. This special export copy was for the U.K. market only and used original stampers. Like the rest of the series they are all great. I’ve collected the lot.

None of these were sold in France.

Contemporaneously there were "France-for-France" pressings for the domestic market, by Pathé Marconi. These are to be avoided. In the case of Abbey Road, the first note is cut off 'Come Together' as is the count-in on Revolver.

9. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

Yes, I've got that Revolver! Never knew about the count-in untill I bought the CD!

Adam9, Lewisboogie and Octavian like this.
  10. Ironically, when they split so did their fans—they sold less than they did as a group.

11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

The count-in is there of course on the French pressing for the U.K.

12. drum_cas

drum_cas Forum Resident

My mother bought this when she was on holiday in France in the 60's. So when I got the record when my parents split, I never knew about any count-in!

Adam9 likes this.
  13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, I bought the réédition in 1977. For years therefore, I thought the count-in on "Rock'n'Roll Music" from '76 was a rarity, until I got à British copy of Revolver.

Last year, I got a mono French original Revolver in a brocante. Must check if the count-in is also absent there.

Adam9 and drum_cas like this.
  14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Yes, the count-in is missing from the original French mono, too.

drum_cas likes this.
  15. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

Reading your book presently; without question, one of the most informative, enjoyable Beatle related books I own and particularly on this period in their career. I just wanted to say 'thanks" for wrting a great addition to my collection. Stay well.

Geordiepete and Marc Perman like this.
  16. alexpop

alexpop Power pop + other bad habits....

Didn’t he post here ?

17. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

FYI

UDiscover Music has a 30% SALE right now + Free Shipping. The 2019 Abbey Road remix on vinyl was like $16.70 shipped, I just ordered it.

The original mix on vinyl is listed at $17.95 before the sale is applied, and the 3LP vinyl box from 2019 is listed at $89.95 before the sale is applied.

Lots of other great records there, too. Just thought I'd share.

DK Pete, ex_mixer and MoonPanda like this.
  18. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no

what did everyone think about the new mix then?

Bingo Bongo and DK Pete like this.
  19. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Thanks for teaching me a new term in French, "brocante". I only knew a flea market as a "marché aux puces".

20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Ah sure, have a few more : foire aux antiquités, braderie, vide-greniers.

:)

Adam9 likes this.
  21. Adam9

Adam9 Русский военный корабль, иди на хуй.

Merci bien.

22. DK Pete

DK Pete Forum Resident

50-50.

Big Pasi likes this.
  23. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

You get the feeling Apple is holding back some good tracks?

24. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I’m always late to get this stuff but just picked up the 3lp set with the demos. Completely floored and blown away by the fantastic material! Wow, I was expecting it to be really good and it’s even better than that. Demo versions are so fun, great interplay between tracks, and most of all the sound quality is just stellar. I might even like these more than the White Album outtakes. A++++

Haggischomper likes this.
  25. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident

I literally just finished playing my 3LP set, too. Great collection & a great package.

O.k, so some of the guide or rough vocals are a bit lacking in places, but as a window into the creation of one of their greatest albums, it’s illuminating.

Jam757 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.