Ranking Marshall Tucker Band Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by QuestionMark?, May 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I'll give you that as long as you promise to refer to the Band as Canadiana from this point forward. ;)

carlwm likes this.
  2. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL Thread Starter

As I'm getting into more and more of these guys I am a bit surprised they never seem to have had the fight over the vocal duties. Doug Gray being a great vocalist without an instrument and probably better at it than Toy Caldwell didn't seem to mind at all splitting the duties. I watched this video interview with him and he just said we loved each other and encouraged each other.

Kingsley Fats and steve phillips like this.
  3. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

I think Doug's voice was a perfect fit for most of their songs. He had a great vocal range. My mother, who is 78, loves his singing so you know he can't be all that bad.

4. QuestionMark?

You say 78 like that's really old or something. :laugh:

carlwm likes this.
  5. Harp Of Glass

Good point. She never knew much about them until I played several of their cds in the car on some roadtrips.

carlwm and QuestionMark? like this.
  6. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

I'd say Canadiana - southern! And the Grateful Dead... southern blues folk appalachia country boogie! And Dr. John. Those southern roots spread far & wide! CCR is still one of my all time faves.

Sneaky Pete, lucan_g and carlwm like this.
  7. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Man, his voice is so familiar. My Dad was from right down the road from Spartanburg. His whole family
    had this exact accent. I feel like I'm at a Thanksgiving dinner back in the old days listening to Doug talk.
    I love it. Thanks for posting this.

Sneaky Pete, QuestionMark? and carlwm like this.
  8. QuestionMark?

What happened between Carolina Dreams and Together Forever? Paul Hornsby was out and Stewart Levine came in. They had no outside musicians and the keyboards were cut. They moved from Macon to Miami and Bernie Grundman was now mastering instead of George Marino. Together Forever has an overall better sound to it than Carolina Dreams. Was there some big disappointment with Carolina Dreams that made them shift gears like that and go for a big change?

9. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Given how big a success Carolina Dreams was, it's a surprise that they didn't want to stick with the same formula. Maybe they didn't want to repeat themselves and made the changes to freshen things up.

steve phillips and QuestionMark? like this.
  10. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

At least two other people on this forum have stated that they use "Together Forever" as demo material on their systems when they invite guests over. Make me the third that agrees completely. This refers to the disc that I pictured earlier. It sounds fantastic. It's one of those "quiet" discs that you'll have to crank up just a little bit more. Someone knew what they were doing.

QuestionMark? likes this.
  11. Harp Of Glass

Just going by memory here- during the song "Asking Too Much Of You" from Together Forever you can hear Doug take a deep breath before he delivers one of the lines. Not sure if it's at the beginning or further into the song. I noticed that only a couple of years ago.

12. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

Listen with headphones, you'll hear more than that! Other little things in there...talking...

13. County50

County50 Forum Resident

MTB studio favorites

A New Life
    S/T
    Searching For A Rainbow
    Running Like The Wind
    Tenth

14. Harp Of Glass

Alright, I'm not a big headphone guy but I guess I'll have to bust out my Grados!

15. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

Searchin' for a Rainbow
    Carolina Dreams
    Running Like the Wind
    The Marshall Tucker Band
    Greetings from South Carolina

16. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

Listen at 3:50

Other strange tapping, etc. in the background. I think that could be Toy, don't know for sure.

Someone clearing the throat a few times! A few talked words in a couple spots.

17. Harp Of Glass

That's what I was thinking of. It's Doug clearing his throat instead of taking a deep breath.

18. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

Doug is pretty close to your Mother in age (71). *If* your mother likes christian music, MTB did have a gospel album called, well, "Gospel". His singing is top notch in this one.

19. QuestionMark?

I really like the song Cattle Drive on Tenth. But I found myself wishing it was done earlier like around the time of This Ol' Cowboy. The sound on Tenth does not do it justice. Once again it was produced by Stewart Levine but they moved over to Bayshore studios and Greg Calbi did the mastering. Not the same great sound as Together Forever.

carlwm likes this.
  20. Raunchnroll

Personally I like Carolina a lot more than Together. Side 2 of Carolina is one of my favorite albums sides - period. Very 'western.'

21. QuestionMark?

I do like it it just doesn't sound as good as Together Forever.

22. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

My mother turns 97 in a couple of weeks (I hope)

Together Forever may sound better but Carolina Dreams is the far better album (Their best IMO). I'm from the school that doesn't think that SQ is really that important. Grit is great keep the soul.

23. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

Whilst we are discussing some of the other great bands in a similar sort of style I would like to toss up another of my favourite bands fronted by a great singer & with a fabulous guitarist in The Amazing Rhythm Aces (Russel Smith & Byrd Burton)

24. MYQ1

MYQ1 Forum Resident

I guess overall Where We All Belong is my favorite Tucker offering.

25. Raunchnroll

Yup, just played them today.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.