Parks Audio Puffin DSP Phono Pre

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by Seafinch, May 5, 2018.

1. YEX 750-1

YEX 750-1 Long-winded Brother

I did the DIY SPDIF mod and it works really nicely. Personally -- and this is pretty far outside the norm for vinyl listening, I know -- I run the SPDIF into a MiniDSP NanoDigi unit, which I use for pretty surgical bass control, and then to a Cambridge DacMagic Plus.

As far as the downscaling to 24/48... I really value the flexibility that SPDIF out offers, so I chose not to worry about what (if anything audible) is lost in that downscaling, particularly given the rest of my system is relatively modest. The 24/48 I'm getting sounds great, and I can always just switch back to the Puffin's DAC if I want.

2. Thanks, this is great info. I was thinking that sometime in the future, I want to try a Modi Multibit dac, and if I liked it, I might want to run the Puffin through it. Although the Puffin I ordered is without SPDIF, so I'd probably send back for upgrade, or sell, and buy one with SPDIF, but that's going to be like a next year project. Good to know it is working well with your external dacs.

3. Mateo Sanboval

Mateo Sanboval For me, the action is the juice.

Isn't the Puffin's DAC good enough to use on it's own or are you all just enjoying another external DAC more?

4. I'm hoping it's very good on it's own. But as Parks offers an SPDIF option, in addition to the DIY page, I was wondering if others were using it with external DACs, but most likely it's there for those doing digital recording of vinyl I think.

5. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

Any of you using the latest beta firmware? Some pretty cool new features including a “grading” mode. Will grade the side of an album as it plays. I’m amazed all he’s done with this firmware.

http://www.parksaudiollc.com/betafirmware.html

6. LARGERTHAN

LARGERTHAN Forum Resident

Wow, kudos to Parks. I don't own one but am constantly taken aback at his continued investment in his product.

7. ScottRiqui

ScottRiqui Forum Resident

I just installed the firmware update a few hours ago, so I've only just started playing around. The "Magic" mode definitely cleans up surface noise/pops/crackles, but I'm going to have to listen a little longer and more critically to see if it's also taking anything away from the music.

The "grading" mode seems like a lot of fun - I took an uncleaned album that looked pretty good (glossy, and no obvious marks), and it graded Side 1 as "B+." Then I gave it a quick clean with a Nitty Gritty (just three revolutions cleaning) and played it again, getting a grade of "A-." Next I'll give it a good hand-scrubbing and see if I can get it to "A". I did get a grade of "A+" on a different album I had already hand-scrubbed, although I realize that's kind of an "apples to oranges" comparison.

8. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

this will help a lot if/when I go to sell any records I have. As I have no clue how to grade them :D

ampguy likes this.
  9. Upgraded to 1.2D today. Very interesting. Put one of my scratchiest old records on, it graded as D to F, but the Magic on does help! I also am not sure if it detracts from the audio or not. It doesn't make a D sound CD clean or anything, but will make a lot of unplayable old records enjoyable.

Does anyone know, if when grading is on, does turning on or off Magic affect the grading score, or just the audio out?

bru87tr likes this.
  10. Kray

Kray Sleuthing

From what I read Magic does not affect grade. It reads the same source as magic, so it’s not reading the data after magic is applied.

ampguy likes this.
  11. BobD

BobD Well-Known Member

Thanks for posting this. I just downloaded the latest firmware (it took me 5 minutes) and it is really great. I am using the "Magic" mode and it does reduce some surface noise and the "Grading " mode is excellent. I tried some old LP's from my college days that I though sounded pretty bad and the grading gave it a D or C- which is pretty spot on, then I tried some Supertramp and Grateful Dead reissues on 180gm which sound amazing and the grading was A-. I am amazed by the Puffin and it has far exceeded my expectations for a phono stage which I use to play mostly old albums from the 70's and 80's. It is one of those products that really enhances my vinyl listening experience for so little $$$. A true bargain.

bru87tr, Mike6565 and Kray like this.
  12. I have a couple of records that grade "D and F" almost entirely, and they sound OK with Magic on (1.2D). I think I do hear a slight veil with Magic on, but very difficult to know, because of the quality of the vinyl.

In any case, I worry about playing these D and F ones, since I usually have CDs or can source newer better grade vinyl if I really liked the LPs, and am worried that even though sounds great again, that probably playing the D and F graded vinyl may wear cart / stylus down faster than grade A/B vinyl?

However, the grading samples for a fixed # of seconds then gives the letter, so I also have some vinyl that will get A/A- for portions of record, and D/F for other portions, so would be hard to use as is to grade a whole side. Still very cool stuff! Love the Puffin. Anyone try "grading" a CD yet? ;)

sixthstreet likes this.
  13. ScottRiqui

I think you're right - the grading uses a "running average" for the entire time you have it turned on, so good parts of a side and bad parts of a side will kind of average out, but I still think it's useful as an "overall" grading of a side, unless someone thinks that the noisiest part of a side determines its entire grade.

And I have tried grading a CD, but I *have* left the grading function turned on even after I removed the record and turned off the turntable, and after a half-hour of dead silence, the grade will work its way up to "A+" :laugh:

14. rtrt

rtrt Forum Resident

Agree with the posts above.

Bought mine a year and a bit ago and really appreciated the ability to 'dial in' and store the settings for each cartridge I have.

Then I DIY'd the SPDIF mod -this suits my set up best- now use my DAC as a digital preamp.

If you're comfortable soldering & drilling your case, then DIY is absolutely np or just pay up front for the SPDIF model. Either way I recommend the SPDIF for its extra flexibility.

Re the other firmware additions since I bought it-

Bass boost (think this was added?) gets used along with the tone controls to accommodate some records that lack bass for whatever reason.

'I think' I'm sure I like what magic does having just upgraded to the latest firmware yesterday - the reduction in pops / clicks is impressive. But also feel like I should listen on headphones to be 100% sure. If I decide its not perfect then its easy to toggle on/off per record.

I think Shannons willingness to add value to a product that's already been sold to his customers, is really excellent and his enthusiasm for Puffin shines through in his mails and FB page.

bru87tr, Bill Why Man and ScottRiqui like this.
  15. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

I had suggested a grading feature for the SugarCube. Glad to see the Parks implement this. Perhaps someone will compare the SugarCube and Parks noise reductions.

Kray likes this.
  16. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

I would say it's more practical and looks more tidy with the 90s, nothing OCD about it. In most people's setup the wires will need to be routed straight back toward the wall, this is a simple and effective solution. I do the same thing with some of my set-top boxes so they can be pushed closer to the wall.

Kristofa and bru87tr like this.
  17. Pali Gap

Pali Gap Whiskey, mystics and men

Haha that's great, it would be quite satisfying to clean up an Lp and get confirmation with an improved 'grade'! This is really awesome stuff, especially when provided as a 'bonus' add-on feature. The Puffin is drawing me ever closer....

Bill Why Man likes this.
  18. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

I'm not an owner of the Puffin but I do own a Sweet Vinyl Sugarcube click & pop remover.

I know it's unlikely, but does any Puffin owner have any experience of how the "Magic" mode compares to the Sugarcube?

Does anyone have any before and after samples that demonstrate what the Magic mode can do?

19. ScottRiqui

I wish I were set up to record the output from my Puffin - I don't have the SPDIF version of the Puffin, but I may see if I can run the RCA outputs into my computer for a "quick and dirty" recording.

How does the Sugarcube do with *really* ratty records? With the Puffin, the consensus seems to be that it will make almost unlistenable records at least bearable, but it won't fix everything; Even Shannon Parks says "This is intended to be used all the time and makes your best LPs sound better. Like they're extra clean. Scratched up records will receive some help, but don't demo Magic using them - use the good stuff."

If the Sugarcube (which I've never used) can totally clean up even severely scratched records, that would at least be one point of comparison for you, since the Puffin doesn't (and doesn't claim to be able to).

20. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

rtrt, keiron99 and ScottRiqui like this.
  21. Phil Thien

Phil Thien Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing.

Out of curiosity, did you get a grading of that album, I wonder what the Puffin may have graded it?

22. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

I graded the first track only (same track used for the comparison). It varied between C and C-.

rtrt likes this.
  23. captouch

captouch Forum Resident

I'm only listening on my laptop speakers, so not a great comparison possible. But the with-Magic sounds smoothed out and maybe a bit less dynamic. How do you find it on your system?

24. skriefal

skriefal Senior Member

I don't hear a difference in dynamics. And can't say with any certainty re: smoothness - but not noticeable to me through my rig. If there is any difference in smoothness it may be from cleaning the stylus tip between the "with magic" and "without magic" clips (a quick brush with a Shure stylus brush).

captouch likes this.
  25. bever70

bever70 Let No-one Live Rent Free in Your Head!

I listened with headphones. Prefer the 'without magic'. In the first few seconds with only bass guitar (before the rest of the music comes in), the background noise sounds more dense and is at a lower frequency 'with magic' and I find it more disturbing vs. the background noise of the 'without magic' which sounds more open.
    The background noise of 'without magic' sounds as it should be, the background noise of 'with magic' sounds more apparent, louder and more disturbing to me. I don't know what it does but instead of lowering the noise floor it becomes more obvious !

@skriefal Are you sure you didn't swap the files ?

Last edited: May 12, 2020