Sinatra / Reprise Sound Quality and General Discussion: "...Great Songs from Great Britain" (1962)*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AaronW, Aug 31, 2007.

1. MLutthans

MLutthans That's my spaghetti, Chewbacca! Staff

rangerjohn, bozburn and MMM like this.
  2. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Just treated myself to the original mono release and it's a beauty! I fell in love with that one immdiately. Sounds so warm and intimate. And the rhythm group is much more prominent. Never heard "If I had you" that good rhythm wise. And the heavy reverb is gone

3. roda12

roda12 WATERTOWN FOREVER

Oh... I mean compared to my bad sounding 80's german stereo copy!:)

MLutthans likes this.
  4. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

CBackley, rangerjohn and MLutthans like this.
  5. MLutthans

One more session pic:
    SinatraGreatBritaine4ed4e4b7e79e04e1edb041a454eb55d.jpg

6. MLutthans

Yet another pic:
    s-l1600-413.jpg

rangerjohn, aoxomoxoa and MMM like this.
  7. paulmock

paulmock Forum Resident

How nice that all concerned took the time to male sure the cover photo was not REVERSED prior to publishing the book!!!!!!!:cussing::yikes::realmad:

8. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

That’s only half the photo, which spreads across the fold on pages 2–3 of Nancy’s book. I assume they reversed it to keep Frank on the right-facing side with the title text, instead of the bassist and grand piano which are on the opposite side.

aoxomoxoa and MMM like this.
  9. MMM

MMM Forum Hall Of Fame

You can see they "re-reversed" the CTS sign on Frank's mic back around to read normally (in this otherwise reversed image).

rangerjohn, kennyluc1 and MLutthans like this.
  10. CBackley

CBackley Chairman of the Bored

The Sinatra threads on this site are some of the best. And this one was especially awesome to read. I read it over the course of the past couple of days, and it was hilarious to see @MLutthans go from “I’ve never listened to this album despite having about four copies of it” (paraphrasing) to “HERE ARE MULTIPLE COLOR-CODED CHARTS OF SONGS FROM DIFFERENT PRESSINGS SHOWING EXACTLY WHICH TAKES THEY’RE ASSEMBLED FROM” (again, paraphrasing) in what, to me, seemed like very little time. I love it.

The Italian release is on my Discogs wishlist now for sure. I enjoy the UMe reissue, but it would be a treat to get a different version.

Frank definitely sounds weary on this album, but that works well with the material to my ears. “The Gypsy” is one of my favorite Reprise era tunes.

aoxomoxoa, teag, rangerjohn and 2 others like this.
  11. BluRayVen

BluRayVen Well-Known Member

12. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

I’m not sure why you’re asking, since the Discogs link you provided already has images of the labels. Here they are as shown at Discogs (although darkening of the exposure would be an improvement):

[​IMG] [​IMG]

paulmock likes this.
  13. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

DmitriKaramazov and aoxomoxoa like this.
  14. BluRayVen

BluRayVen Well-Known Member

Yes I'm aware the link has photos, low quality cell phone photos. I'm looking for scans. but thanks for the A side photo.

15. MLutthans

Another session pic, very similar -- but not identical -- to one already posted:
    s-l1600-490.jpg
    (The MFF&TV mic flag is superimposed.)

16. MarkusGermany

MarkusGermany WINNING

The 2014 remaster from the London Box is horrible IMO: the vocals sound wrong and lifeless. What’s wrong with Larry Walsh today? I prefer my old CD from 1993!

Last edited: Apr 20, 2019
    tomvox likes this.
  17. tomvox

tomvox Forum Resident

I agree Markus. We normally expect remasters done more than 20 years ahead to be an improvement. Thankfully the new (bonus) material made up for it but I was disappointed by the core material.

MarkusGermany likes this.
  18. MLutthans

There have been gobs of problems on the assorted releases of this album over the years, despite remixes (such as the 2014 release). Note all the red text (indicating problems) in the column for the 2014 release (from my website) -- and there's plenty of red on some of the other versions, too:
    [​IMG]
    While not perfect (no version is), this one still strikes me as the one to get, from Italy, 1976, using the original (UK) stereo mix:
    [​IMG]

Luca, kennyluc1, AJH and 4 others like this.
  19. Rising Sun

Rising Sun Forum Resident

This post is aimed primarily at the Sinatra experts out there.

In the 1970s I began collecting Sinatra records and was able to acquire most of his Columbia, Capitol and Reprise material, with the exception of "Great Songs from Great Britain." The only track in my possession for the longest time was "A Nightingale Sang In Berkeley Square" which was included in a collection of material from different albums ( A Man And His Music.) I also heard a rumor at the time that Frank wasn't happy with the album, so had it recalled.

In the 1990's I started to purchase the Sinatra catalog on CD's. I was pleased to see the Great Britain album was now once again available. In keeping with Frank's thematic approach, the record features all songs by British composers and arrangements by the distinguished British conductor Robert Farnon. Although happy to have a collection of classic songs that Sinatra had never recorded before now in my collection, I was a bit ambivalent about the recordings themselves.

The arrangements seemed a little too staid and proper somehow ( maybe somewhat befitting the provencal of the material, stiff upper lip and all ) but I'm not sure the talents of Sinatra jelled as well with Mr. Farnon as they did with Nelson Riddle, Axel Stordahl, Billy May, Gordon Jenkins, even Quincy Jones. Could it be just a matter of musical chemistry?

From what I heard, Frank admired Mr Farnon's work and thought he had done fine job on the album, but something seemed amiss and Frank even went back into the studio to re-record everything in different keys thinking that would help matters.

Anyway, I'm curious to know if anyone has information on the story behind this "red-headed stepchild"
    of an album and why it seemed to disappear from circulation for quite a long while.

DmitriKaramazov likes this.
  20. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Bob F and Rising Sun like this.
  21. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Just fyi:

There is now a boxed set called Sinatra:London (3CD's and a DVD) for which this album and some sessions from the album are included along with the highly-prized 1962 London Royal Festival Hall Concert (DVD) plus two other London concerts from 1970 (DVD) and 1984 (CD).

And (someone will correct me if I'm wrong, but ...) I think it was not out of circulation as much as it was just not released in the U.S. initially. It was available in the U.K.

22. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Fake news. ;)

No correction needed. The album was intended solely for the UK market (sort of Sinatra’s “thank you” to his British fans), and that’s why it was unavailable in the USA. The 1962 LP was not even known on this side of the pond for several years, until it was listed in the Billboard special issue for Sinatra’s 50th birthday in 1965. It was the only Reprise concept album not first issued domestically.

As for the quality of Frank’s vocals: It should be noted that these London recordings came at the end of a strenuous world tour (for children’s charities), and that may have much to do with any perceived difference from other efforts.

I believe this is all discussed in the Sinatra Family Forum thread linked above, repeated here with two more:

SINATRA SINGS GREAT SONGS FROM GREAT BRITAIN (Reprise) 1962
    Frank Sinatra: Album of the Month #29 (Jan 2010) "Great Songs From Great Britain"
    SINATRA: LONDON (UMe) 2014

YouTube playlists:

Sinatra Sings Great Songs from Great Britain - YouTube
    Sinatra: London - YouTube
    Great Songs from Great Britain: BBC Light Programme with Track Introductions - YouTube
    Great Songs from Great Britain: Sessions - YouTube

Last edited: May 10, 2020
  23. Bob F

Bob F Senior Member

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 6, 2021
  24. Ronald Sarbo

Ronald Sarbo Forum Resident

It was also released in France, Japan, Holland (With Different Cover) and Australia. Different companies in the different countries could license Reprise product. This was before the merger with Warner Brothers.

Bob F and Rising Sun like this.
  25. Smartin62

Smartin62 Forum Resident

Mine comes from the "suitcase" (remixed?) and since I've never heard any other version - I still think it sounds very fine (what audio problems?).

Still is one of my favorites from any label of Sinatra.

Rising Sun likes this.