Ranking Marshall Tucker Band Albums

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by QuestionMark?, May 8, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Just recently got into them. Bought an album by mistake when getting them confused with The Atalanta Rhythm Section. :)

So far, I have and enjoy Stacked Deck, Too Stuffed To Jump (on a twofer) and Chock Full Of Country Goodness.

QuestionMark? and Kingsley Fats like this.
  2. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

What a wonderful mistake to make. Almost all of their albums (including the reunion era) are great. I recomend them all.

I recently bought the boxset of The Atlanta Rhythm Section. Another band that I really like.

It is a pity that they smoothed up their sound to give it a more polished commercial appeal.
    I would have much rather preferred a bit more grit like the earlier albums. That's the problem with having a hit. The labels want you to repeat it & water it down for the masses.

QuestionMark? and carlwm like this.
  3. carlwm

carlwm Forum Resident

Yeah! there was a happy outcome to my knuckleheadedness. I really like the three Amazing Rhythm Aces albums I've found. Definitely on the look out for the others.

I also took the plunge on the Atlanta Rhythm Section boxed set. Still working my way through it but it does feel like a keeper.

Kingsley Fats and QuestionMark? like this.
  4. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

I like the first two and Searchin’ for a Rainbow the best. A pretty good band in their prime with a little more country influence than blues. I like them just as much as Skynyrd, if not more.

For a time Southern Rock and Punk had the most vitality. I think prog and glam had both peaked already. Austin and Macon were producing a lot of great music. Southern rock had a great run but eventually it evolved into what passes for country music in Nashville these days.

unclefred and QuestionMark? like this.
  5. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

Toy is on fire on Carolina Dreams. One of those I never bought until recently. I was just into other
    things at the time those albums were released. Great album. Better late than never.

6. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

My two favorite songs from Carolina Dreams are "Fly Like An Eagle" and "Desert Skies".

7. QuestionMark?

QuestionMark? 4TH N' GOAL Thread Starter

The Tommy Caldwell song Never Trust A Stranger is a great one and follows Desert Skies nicely!

8. GregM

GregM The expanding man

A New Life was always my favorite. I'd probably go with Searching for a Rainbow, 1st album and Where We All Belong as #2, 3 and 4, respectively.

9. QuestionMark?

How sad was it that Toy Caldwell Sr. had to lose all three of his sons and his wife in short order like that? I was just reading about him being a WWII vet and a plumbing contractor and a musician himself. Seems like an awfully sad life!

GregM and carlwm like this.
  10. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

I agree. I would like to send you a PM, which I can't for some reason. Can you add me in?

QuestionMark? likes this.
  11. steve phillips

steve phillips Forum Resident

I ran into a very nice copy of that rare live album. Full House Aces High. I think only around 800
    copies were pressed and were only available through their fan club. Great album.

12. Harp Of Glass

Harp Of Glass Forum Resident

I'm going on record for my top three songs from Together Forever:
    I'll Be Loving You
    Singing Rhymes
    Change Is Gonna Come

It's a great album and I could have listed three different songs and it would still be an excellent list.

13. Maseman66

Maseman66 Forum Resident

For me, they never topped their first 2 albums.

Glenn coates likes this.
  14. Jon1969

Jon1969 I Like Beer

Something special about that album. A real solid effort and it seems as though they were not going through the motions. It came from the heart. How Toy could write so many songs is beyond me. Toy's wife just passed away a few years ago, you might know that "A. B.'s Song" from the first album. Abbie Caldwell.

Abbie Goode Caldwell (1949-2016) - Find A Grave...

15. Kingsley Fats

Kingsley Fats Forum Resident

I have that on CD

steve phillips and carlwm like this.
  16. Galley

Galley Forum Resident

MYQ1, carlwm and QuestionMark? like this.
  17. Glenn coates

Glenn coates Forum Resident

Love the first 2 albums, just before the lockdown I was scouring the dollar bin in my local very good record store and was able to find Marshall Tucker’s entire 1970’s output on vinyl. Lucky for me in the preceding weeks I had been regulary spinning the only 2 albums I had by MTB but because of all this time on my hands I’ve been able to really get to enjoy all the records. I’ve played them many times and have been comforting during the pandemic.

18. QuestionMark?

They have also helped me pass some time these last few weeks of lockdown. It has been really fun for me to rediscover the MTB. I can't believe the lack of CDs in my collection by them.

Glenn coates and carlwm like this.
  19. Zeki

Zeki Forum Resident

My top tier:
    A New Life
    Where We All Belong
    Search in’ For s Rainbow

Just a tad below:
    Self-Titled
    Long Hard Ride

Then:
    Together Forever
    Carolina Dreams

I don’t know the rest.

Saw them in May, 1977, Indianapolis, and it was a fantastic concert. Sanford-Townsend Band opened.

20. segue

segue Psychoacoustic Member

The guitar sound Toy got on The Long Hard Ride album was just unreal. LOUD.

Last edited: May 14, 2020
  21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

You can’t go wrong with any Tucker from 73-83, though I must admit, things get spotty after 1981’s Dedicated.

MYQ1, Glenn coates, carlwm and 3 others like this.
  22. Raunchnroll

Raunchnroll Senior Member

Interestingly Sanford Townsend was a 'southern' band too but to hear their hit Smoke From A Distant Fire, and the album it came off of, one would likely not know that. By 1977 the winds were a changing and a lot of southern bands started coming up with a sound that trended against regionalism and towards more mainstream sounds. .38 Special, Dixie Dregs, Sea Level, Atlanta Rhythm Section, Stillwater, and Mose Jones for example.

QuestionMark? and Zeki like this.
  23. eelkiller

eelkiller One of the great unwashed

So the first CDs on Ramblin' are recommended (Tenth, Running Like the Wind). Good to know.

MYQ1, Glenn coates and carlwm like this.
  24. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

The AJK cd’s for the Capricorn era, and the late 90’s Ramblin’ discs for the Warner era

MYQ1, Galley and QuestionMark? like this.
  25. QuestionMark?

Nobody else has the flute though! How great is that Marshall Tucker Band flute? I Love the theme's also. Cowboy, cattle drive and ridin' the highway. It's all Texas, Tennessee and Carolina. Toy could really paint a picture with his songs!

Glenn coates, Kingsley Fats and Zeki like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.