Let It Be 50th Anniversary (pt. 2)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by GlassPepper, May 11, 2020.

1. GlassPepper

GlassPepper I can't get no Thread Starter

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

3. Arnold Grove

Okay, I'll start: DRESS INFORMAL

The original film Let It Be premiered on May 13, 1970, in the USA and on May 20, 1970, in the UK:

[​IMG]

RiRiIII, goer, Trixmay 988 and 10 others like this.
  4. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Great ticket Arnie, do you think it will still work 50 years later???

goer, Chemguy, 2141 and 1 other person like this.
  5. Yosi

Yosi Senior Member

Does anybody know when this film started to screen for general audience?

6. Arnold Grove

I would guess the next day after the premiere. Things were less complicated back then.

2141 and Yosi like this.
  7. Yosi

Yosi Senior Member

Thanks.

Anyone could confirm this with a source would be very welcomed.

8. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

So what, no leaks allowed?

9. Arnold Grove

I have posted this before:

With regard to the fancy London film premiere, none of the Beatles attended. Other attending guests included Richard Lester, Mary Hopkin, Spike Milligan, Lulu, and EMI boss Sir Joseph Lockwood. Supposedly, several members of The Rolling Stones and Fleetwood Mac also attended (I do not know if this is true, or which members exactly).

But the strangest guests who attended were Jane Asher and Cynthia Lennon. What the heck were they thinking?

[​IMG]

10. matt0505

matt0505 Forum Resident

I can understand Jane; I think there was an affection there between the 2 that probably never went away. Plus she was a celebrity herself, so it probably just seemed like a normal thing for her to go to. Cynthia though.....can't say. I would think she would've still been in pretty heavy "hate" mode at that point.

Paulwalrus and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  11. Phil D

Phil D Forum Resident

Certainly not in the Gaumont Liverpool - it's long demolished!

12. Wingsfan2012

oh wow.....

I know in the Wingspan special that Paul drives up to the front of the Gaumont, but that was in 2001.

13. gottafeelin

gottafeelin Forum Resident

I'm ready.

14. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Let’s hope this stays open. Would be very nice to know what we should avoid discussing.
    (Not an attack on the gorts, they do a good job here, i just want to avoid tooics that’ll get this shut)

J Alesait and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  15. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

That’s funny, 6 years earlier and the marquee for Beatle films was nearly identical

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 12, 2020
    audiotom, BeatlesBop, goer and 9 others like this.
  16. BlueJay

BlueJay Forum Resident

John and Yoko were away in Los Angeles at the time so she didn't have to worry about them showing up.

17. EdwinM

EdwinM Grumpy old man

Maybe Paul invited her to annoy Yoko?

pantofis, Paulwalrus and andrewskyDE like this.
  18. Wingsfan2012

I personally would like to see Picasso and Taking A Trip To Carolina included on the Let it Be 50 box set!

19. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

Hmm, are there more versions of these songs?
    Otherwise, there's not much difference between both songs except the few lyrics Ringo sang. And 'Carolina' was on that Let It Be... Naked bonus disc already.^^

20. pokemaniacjunk

pokemaniacjunk Forum Resident

me too, especially Picasso since there is a bit of potential in it

Wingsfan2012 likes this.
  21. Wingsfan2012

Arnie, we could come up with scenes that we know with 100% certainty will NOT be in the new PJ movie...

The Peter Sellers scene for one, unless just a brief snipet when he says "hi guys"!

Also the scene where Glyn Johns interrupts the "Get Back" rehearsal and Paul calls him "Fook Face".....pretty sure that will not make it in as an example of Beatles humor!

Paulwalrus likes this.
  22. Arnold Grove

If only it was captured on film:

George to the others: "See ya round the clubs!"

Wil1972, Paulwalrus and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  23. Diego Lucas

Diego Lucas Forum Resident

Excited to see this in 4K and hear this on dolby atmos

24. Arnold Grove

We won't see this scene from January 13 (probably only on audio anyhow): When Paul, Linda, Neil Aspinall, and Michael Lindsay-Hogg discuss the problematic situation of how Yoko's continual presence is making it hard to communicate with John:

PAUL: Yoko's very much to do with it from John's angle. And there's only two answers: One is to fight it and fight her and try and get the Beatles back to four people without Yoko, and ask her to sit down at the board meetings. The other thing is to just realize she's there and he's not going to split with her just for our sakes. But then it's not even so much of an obstacle as long as we're not trying to surmount it. While we're still trying to get over it, it's an obstacle. But it isn't really. It's not that bad. They want to stay together, those two. So it's alright, let the young lovers stay together.
    MICHAEL: Can't operate under these conditions. There'll be no work coming out.
    PAUL: It's like we're striking because work conditions aren't right. But it's not that bad.
    MICHAEL: But he knows that, doesn't he?
    PAUL: John knows that, sure.
    MICHAEL: Does he talk about it at all?
    PAUL: We've done a lot of Beatles now, and we've got a lot out of Beatles. I think John's saying now, obviously, if it came to a push between Yoko and the Beatles, it's Yoko.
    NEIL: Whenever John talks these days it's like Yoko is talking through him.
    PAUL & LINDA: Yeah.
    NEIL: Or he shuts up and lets her do it for him. And that's become a thing for him – not ever talking to him like I'm talking to you right now. … When you're talking to John, you always (these days, anyway) tend to think that you're talking to Yoko more than you're talking to John.
    PAUL: That's why I say writing a song with him is a bit embarrassing.
    PAUL: They're under that thing – they just want to be near each other. I just think it's silly of me or anyone to try and say to them, “no you can't”. Okay, they're going overboard about it, but John always does. And Yoko probably always does. So that's their scene. You can't go saying, “Don't go overboard about this thing. Be sensible about it and don't bring her to meetings.” It's his decision. It's none of our business to interfere in that. Even when it comes into our business, you still can't really say much except “Look, I don't like it, John”. Then he can say, “Screw you”, or “I like it”, or “well, I won't do it”. That's the only way, is to tell John about it.
    MICHAEL: Have you done that already?
    PAUL: I told him I didn't like writing songs with him and Yoko.
    MICHAEL: Were you writing together much more before she came around, or had you cooled it then, before her?
    PAUL: We've cooled it because [of] not playing together. Ever since we didn't play together.
    MICHAEL: On stage you mean.
    PAUL: Yes, because we lived together when we played together. We were in the same hotel, up at the same time every morning, doing this all day. And it doesn't matter what you do, as long as you're this close all day, something grows. And then when you're not this close all day physically, something goes.
    PAUL: Neither of us compromise. If I can start to compromise, then maybe they'll bend a little for me.
    MICHAEL: Yeah, but if her around so much has caused a lot of trouble, then you're compromising already. You've made a lot of compromise.
    PAUL: I think it's because we've thought that the only alternative would be for John to say, “Okay, well, see you then”. And we'd not want that to happen.

25. Saul Pimon

Saul Pimon Co-hosts Nothing Is Real Beatles Podcast (Jason!)

Thinking about the box set a lot and what’s possible and how it fits with the previously released boxsets *and* do you or don’t you acknowledge Let It Be Naked, or not. LIBN, which I like, feels like a concession to Paul. Is Paul going to want to celebrate the Phil Spectorised album in a box set? How does he write an intro to the book of a Let It Be box set given his feelings on the whole thing?

But I think the Beatles as an organisation will dictate that the box set will be of the Let It Be album itself, not a Get Back box. The Let It Be new Giles mix will be CD one. Looking at what we know of the movie, CD two will be just the rooftop concert. 42 minutes, it will sold as “for the first time ever, the audio of the entire rooftop gig” and that will generate excitement. Then I think CDs 3&4 will be sessions, versions, Alt takes. Like the Pepper/WA/ARoad boxes. That will follow the format.

Finally a Blu-ray with a surround sound of the LIB album, a “clean”, unSpectored version of the LIB album or maybe LIB Naked, and the Restored Let It Be movie. The Get Back movie will have nothing to do with the LIB box, that’ll be a separate standalone thing.

I would love a vinyl release of some version of a Get Back album, with the Please Please Me rip-off cover. I think that would be a cool thing. Not sure that’ll happen though, might be too confusing.