Abba Studio Albums coloured vinyl box 03/07

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jamiesjamies, May 13, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. jamiesjamies

jamiesjamies Forum Resident Thread Starter

2. Neonbeam

Neonbeam All Art Was Once Contemporary

What's so exciting about this? 153€ is a lot of money money money. Plus: They could at least have made an effort and compile a non-album singles and rarities compilation. To complement this set.

Even if you pay a tenner for a terrific vintage copy - which most likely won't be that much - you spend 80 bucks max and have an aaa collection.

3. jamiesjamies

They are pressed on nice pretty colours :love:

Dan C, willy and GoodKitty like this.
  4. Neonbeam

Here's an idea: Wait! This thing most likely will go down in price in a few months.

How is the mastering on these? Most likely not dedicated but simply a colourful rehash of an already released cut?!

5. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

Only 250 copies right? I'm not sure that they'll be an opportunity for the price to drop.

6. Massproductions

Massproductions Forum Resident

I wish they would stop wasting time re-releasing the same poor sources and finally go back to the original master tapes! So far everything has been cut from cutting dubs or denoised and compressed digital files.

7. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

I don’t see/haven’t seen anything indicating that this release is limited to 250 copies!

8. Zephead2112

It states that in the marketing e-mail I got from 'The Sound Of Vinyl' but I've misconstrued that and it's obviously referencing the fact that they only have 250 available. I see from the OP's link that there are three other vendors for this set. My apologies.

P.S. uDiscover Music are saying that it's already "sold out".

9. jamiesjamies

I think you are right! I remember the black vinyl box set being £35 in HMV at one point. I get what you are saying about the bonus disc and mastering, but I have had these albums countless times over various formats. This one is just about the visuals for me!

sunking101, willy and Neonbeam like this.
  10. aarsonbet

aarsonbet Forum Resident

This is literally the vinyl equivalent of the Simpsons’ “Malibu Stacey...Now with a NEW HAT!”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Exactly what I'm thinking Neon. The awful digital 2011's.- Amazon US was pushing these puppies out at 10 bucks a pop.

12. Neonbeam

Back then I was missing "Ring Ring" so I spend the 10€ for that reissue. It sounded okay but it felt award sitting next to the seven vintage albums.

Then I got a Swedish original and the sonic difference was gross. Like, really gross. It's just one album but if the whole 2011 set was like that and the new box uses that very mastering then I can't recommend this. Especially since this is ABBA. A band where it's virtually impossible to carry all vintage copies of the studio albums found on any given record fair. Thinking of it, this would be an awesome experiment: Go to a record fair and pick up any copy of any ABBA studio album you come across. Better have a truck parked outside.

But.... recordfairs? A thing of the past at the moment...... (exasperated sigh*****) :mudscrying:

c-eling likes this.
  13. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

Since UNI isn't stating anything about mastering I'm going to assume it is. Not even hi-rez digital was used on them. frequency cut-off at 44. (22) Zero soundstage or depth.
    Embarrassing to say the least. My old German compact discs trump the pi$$ out of them in every way.

Neonbeam likes this.
  14. Andy Saunders

Andy Saunders Always a pleasure never a chore

Never had a happy listening experience with coloured vinyl or picture discs.:(

Talisman954 likes this.
  15. Neonbeam

I don't think the problem with this ABBA set is the colour of the vinyl. In fact coloured vinyl is cool and collectable! :righton:

And contrary to popular belief it's not inferior. Picture discs on the other hand...

16. Zephead2112

Quite correct. I've got some Music On Vinyl LP's in coloured form (Opeth, another Swedish band but far removed from Abba) and they sound absolutely superb. Far superior to the original pressings in fact. But yes, picture discs are another story in my experience. I just wish someone would do a proper job on the Abba back catalogue, if indeed the original Swedish pressings could be improved upon.

17. jamiesjamies

Well it’s happened again, as with pretty much all Abba releases these days, it sold out within hours! There was no mention of how extremely limited it was on my email from the Abba site, so I didn’t think there would be such a rush to order. I never learn! This has been happening since the glitter 7” of Happy New Year in 2011.

18. Monsieur Gadbois

Monsieur Gadbois Senior Member

I'm not ordering this set knowing it is probably a rehash. But boy, do they look great.

[​IMG]

Jarleboy and Tjazz like this.
  19. Neonbeam

Sure this is not some manoeuvre to generate some interesr? I mean: This thing wasn't especially cheap. Let's see if it becomes available again next week. :evil:

jamiesjamies likes this.
  20. FLF

FLF The insurgency began and you missed it.

21. I really want this but my wallet is only so large.

Jarleboy likes this.
  22. Fletcher MH

Fletcher MH Forum Resident

23. Neonbeam

Fletcher MH likes this.
  24. peter312

peter312 Forum Resident

It’s currently available for preorder from What Records and Zavvi

25. Roland S.

Roland S. Forum Resident

Thread Status: