Monkees DVDs are expensive

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Upsiditus, May 11, 2020.

1. Upsiditus

Upsiditus Forum Resident Thread Starter

Does anyone here know why the DVD sets for the Monkees TV show are so expensive (particularly season 1) which apparently costs in excess of $50? It's much higher than most contemporary sitcoms certainly.

2. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

A niche product made in extremely limited quantities. Even the BluRay box set from Rhino that replaced those out of print DVDs in 2016 is nearly $1,000 now from resellers (and was $200 when new). They made 10,000 of those, which you'd think would be more than enough, but evidently not.

You really have to grab these sorts of niche products when they are released.

saborlord123 and RobRoyF like this.
  3. Upsiditus

I confess I don't understand that. I know the Monkees didn't do all that well in prime time, but I figure it did fairly well in reruns (particularly after MTV began showing reruns). The Brady Bunch also did poorly in first run, but the DVDs are much cheaper. Couldn't music rights have something to do with it?

4. will_b_free

will_b_free Forum Resident

saborlord123, RobRoyF and Iceman08 like this.
  5. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

The thing is, not all 10,000 of the sets made it out into the world-Only a few thousand did.

In post # 2104 of this thread (on the page posted below), someone cut and pasted from Andrew Sandoval's eBay listing for the Blu-Ray set, and he said this. It can be read here:

The Monkees complete TV show on Blu-ray box set.

6. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

I bought my DVD sets used a few years ago. I spent maybe 30 dollars.

7. Daniel Plainview

Daniel Plainview God's Lonely Man

Amazon had season 2 dvd set in stock for $30 just a couple weeks ago. Season 1 is tougher to find.

I sold my season 1 set on eBay for $100 to finance my recent purchase of the bluray set.

The old record player shaped dvd sets went for big money too until Eagle reissued the seasons.

Have to assume someday they will be back in print, but as interest in physical media wanes it will be a tougher and tougher sell.

saborlord123 and RobRoyF like this.
  8. cloggedmind

cloggedmind Doctor Do-Very-Little

And that one did sell for $700-ish, apparently!

If any of the "lost" box set pieces were ever "found", I would love to get hold of one of those lenticular pictures to slap in a frame.

The record box dvd sets can be had on the cheap, but one has to be patient and maybe willing to accept one that is, perhaps, in less than optimal condition. The cheapest ones often have the snap hinge broken (I do not look forward to the day when that happens to mine), or a ding or two on the corners.

Back when the bluray set was still available on the official website, I got a second copy for what I call cheap-- it was on sale for $150, and I had a discount something or other for %30 off and free shipping. $105 wasn't bad compared to the original $220 or so, with shipping.

The complete series vhs box still cost me more, initially, as it was right around $300 with shipping back in the day-- but it came with a real neat Monkees watch!

RobRoyF and Iceman08 like this.
  9. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Wow cloggemind, you got quite a deal on the Blu-ray set. $105.00 with the sale , including a 30 percent discount and free shipping? That's being a savvy shopper! I'd really like to buy The Monkees Complete Series Blu-ray set, but not at between $500.00-$800.00, etc.

Marshall

Micky Dolenz Discusses New "The Monkees-The Mike & Micky Show Live" Album and More

RobRoyF and cloggedmind like this.
  10. cloggedmind

What amazes me is that some of these bluray sets actually sell, now, for more than some really nice examples of US COM-109 that have come and gone!

RobRoyF likes this.
  11. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

Agreed. Just saw on Amazon one of the Handmade TBTB&TM box sets selling for $599.99. I know there were only 6,000 copies to be sold. Still, that's pretty expensive, too!

audiomixer, RobRoyF and cloggedmind like this.
  12. Grand_Ennui

Grand_Ennui Forum Resident

I think they know where the "lost" box set pieces are... I'm not one for conspiracy theories, but really, how do you lose *8,000 boxes, 8,000 booklets, and 80,000 Blu-Ray discs? Something just isn't right there...

As far as the record player DVD sets, I bought both on eBay, probably 12 years ago or so... I couldn't tell you what I paid at this point, but it was a decent amount at the time... The Season 2 set was missing the little booklet thing that came with it, but I was able to get one from Rhino-I emailed them and the replied telling me they had a few of those lying around and to send them my address, they sent it free of charge... Something tells me that nowadays, I'd never get that type of customer service...

PS: * I used the number of 8,000 & 80,000 based on the idea that 2,000 of the planed 10,000 sets got out into the world and they had that much stuff left lying around.. I have no idea of how many of the Blu-Ray sets actually were sold thru Rhino, but 2,000 seems like a reasonable guesstimate.

RobRoyF and cloggedmind like this.
  13. cloggedmind

I bought some stuff from the Monkees store a long while back, including that candy color Christmas Party lp, and the shipment got delayed because of changing warehouses.

Now, I'm not so sure how that worked out for them, but I know that one of the 40+, or so, times that I have moved house, I did in the middle of the night. Real quick. Like, Beverly Hillbillies style! And I didn't realize that I had left the tailgate down on the truck until I had got where I was gittin' and, to this day, I know I lost stuff but still am not sure what it all was.

Wonder if something similar happened with the bluray sets? At this point, we know they would sell if offered, even in pieces without the box. Maybe not all overnight, but, would be worth digging through random cartons to get to.

I do know, for a fact, that quite a number of early, bonus Rhino 45s miraculously turned up, one after the other, each being, perhaps, the "last one available" when offered for sale individually, long after they were presumed extinct..

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  14. super sally

super sally Forum Resident

I now have a visual of a truck driving down the road with Monkee Blu Ray sets flying out of the tailgate, tumbling onto the street

RobRoyF, goodiesguy, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  15. stereoguy

stereoguy Its Gotta Be True Stereo!

Upsiditus: I've always wanted to ask you....who is that in your Avatar?[/QUOTE]

16. cloggedmind

And, this should be playing in the background:

:laughup:

17. super sally

18. cloggedmind

19. stereoguy

20. Upsiditus

What would be the odds of a company like Rhino moving things without professionals?

Grand_Ennui likes this.
  21. Upsiditus

[/QUOTE]
    Rabbi Judah Drob

22. Upsiditus

Maybe the Partridge Family would be a better analogy here (it was a sitcom about a rock band, and also produced by Screen Gems). It also did poorly in it's original run, but was successful in reruns. You can easily find single season sets in very good condition for $10 or less. What is the big difference with the Monkees?

23. stereoguy

Rabbi Judah Drob[/QUOTE]

Thank You.

24. Michelle66

Michelle66 Senior Member

Actually, The Partridge Family was more successful than The Brady Bunch during its initial prime-time run. David Cassidy was extremely popular at the time and the decision to end the series was due more to him wanting to move on than on account of poor ratings. [The Brady Bunch didn’t surpass Cassidy’s show until syndication as it aired in more markets, more often. The Partridge Family wasn’t as popular as an afternoon rerun.]

As for the price of the DVDs, different companies own the rights to the shows. Rhino bought everything related to the Monkees from Raybert after Columbia lost the rights due to a court case.

25. super sally

Joke