Alice Coltrane Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by AveryKG, Sep 12, 2006.

1. Stuggy

Stuggy Forum Resident

Third Mind the project led by The Blasters Dave Alvin have a guitar version of Journey in Satchidananda on their s/t lp.
    Alongside several other guitar based workouts and folk jazz covers.
    Long version of East West on there too though that's Paul Butterfield Band but might appeal to people here.

dlemaudit and jay.dee like this.
  2. Comet01

Comet01 Forum Resident

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  3. quindembo

quindembo Forum Resident

4. scarfaceclaw

scarfaceclaw Forum Resident

Only just realised how much I like this album. Looked up the vinyl availability, and unfortunately seems like another grail one...

Chris Bernhardt likes this.
  5. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

It is surprising that this one has never been reissued, when I'm pretty sure virtually all of her other Impulse albums have been...

scarfaceclaw and Chris Bernhardt like this.
  6. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Yes I think it's her best and at the moment it's kind of my holy grail in terms of finding it used ( of course I can get it online). I've only ran across it a couple times. One was just really beat up I passed, and the other was a odd non-gatefold copy under Alice Coltrane records . I thought this was something she might have sold herself .

scarfaceclaw likes this.
  7. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Ptah, The El Daoud was reissued in 2004 in Japan (UCCI-9106). The mastering is a lot better than the pumped up domestic Labson remaster from 1996.
    Alice Coltrane - Ptah, The El Daoud

[​IMG]

8. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

What do you mean by pumped up? Loudness and compression?

9. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

The Labson has too much bass and you can't crank it up nearly as far as the 2004 mini-LP. The recording already has enough bass of itself, so increasing it is just too much. The 2004 remastering is more natural. The other 2004 Japanese Alice Coltrane remasters I have heard sound natural as well in my opinion.

Simon A and StarThrower62 like this.
  10. StarThrower62

I just put it on and there is a lot of bass. But I don't really crank this kind of music. The 2004 CD is outrageously priced at this point

11. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

Yes, they are currently expensive. And these mini-LPs are not laminated, unlike the 2001 John Coltrane mini-LPs, so even if you were to find a mint copy it wouldn't stay mint long.

StarThrower62 likes this.
  12. EarthMusicJoe

EarthMusicJoe Forum Resident

An absolute genius. She had to overcome a lot of very negative press when she replaced McCoy Tyner as Coltrane was moving towards more free music. I own and enjoy everything she’s ever done and it makes me happy to see a thread like this.

13. StarThrower62

I really like Monastic Trio which I listen to more than El Daoud. And there is some amazing stuff on Universal Consciousness. The last tune, The Ankh of Amen Ra is really cool.

14. Chris Bernhardt

Chris Bernhardt Forum Resident

Yes, and I didn't even like her with that band. I thought her playing was so dense admist already a sludge of sound. When I heard her solo work it was a revelation

15. pghmusiclover

16. pghmusiclover

Last edited: Jan 4, 2021
  17. Crush87

Crush87 Forum Resident

pghmusiclover likes this.
  18. Sorcerer

Sorcerer Senior Member

If it really is the case many Impulse! masters were destroyed in a fire in the first decade of the 21st century, this didn't stop Universal Japan from releasing a slew of excellent sounding remasters over the last decade. They just need to stop ignoring Alice Coltrane.

Beatnik_Daddyo'73 and Crush87 like this.
  19. rogsherwood

rogsherwood Forum Resident

pghmusiclover likes this.
  20. Simon A

Simon A Arrr!

Impulase was purchased by ABC/Dunhill Records in the early 70's and at some point later in the decade, many masters were thrown away to clear up some space. This is why every digital version of Impulse albums have been mastered using safety copies. Steve explained this years ago in many threads including the ones where he discussed working on the Mamas & Papas compilation he did for MCA.

21. pghmusiclover

This was released on CD in the US in 1996 and then in Japan in 2004.

Over the years, Universal did manage to reissue a few Alice titles on CD in 1996: "A Monastic Trio", "Journey In Satchidananda" and "Ptah, The El Daoud", and then "Universal Consciousness" in 2002. They also reissued a few on vinyl ("World Galaxy", "Huntington Ashram Monastery" and of course "Journey..."), while Superior Viaduct reissued "Cosmic Music" (the "split album" with John), "A Monastic Trio", "Universal Consciousness" and "Lord Of Lords" (as well as all of her Warner Bros. albums) on vinyl.

It would be nice if someone would release her last Impulse album ("Translinear Light") on vinyl, even if I was disappointed she didn't play any harp on it. Also, at the time of her death, Alice was supposedly working on a follow-up album. I wish Universal would release a "complete Alice Coltrane on vinyl" box set...

22. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

Just saw this for the first time. Really awesome.

Chris Bernhardt, ArpMoog and acetboy like this.
  23. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

If you really want to be blown away, listen to this.

ArpMoog likes this.
  24. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

Sorry. The first link for the interview I posted was an abbreviated version. Here is the whole interview and documentary in its entirety.

ArpMoog likes this.
  25. Footsurg

Footsurg Forum Resident

This a young harpist named Brandee Younger who plays very much in the style of Alice Coltrane and was obviously very inspired by Alice and her music. At 45:40 the trio breaks into an excellent rendition of Journey to Satchidananda. I am extremely pleased to see Millennials respecting the music. And even more pleased to see that Alice's music is influencing a new generation of musicians. This is just awesome in every way. Kudos!

Chris Bernhardt and mcrichley like this.