On this day (May 15) in 1985, Amy Grant's "Unguarded" album was released

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by BradOlson, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BradOlson

BradOlson Country/Christian Music Maven Thread Starter

Yes indeed on this day in 1985, Amy Grant's Unguarded album was released and it was the first album that was concurrently released on A&M and Myrrh and became a Platinum seller, featuring the #29 Hot 100 hit which was also a chart topping Christian Radio hit, Find A Way. Everywhere I Go also charted on AC radio as well as CCM radio, Wise Up did chart on the Hot 100 as well as CCM and also was played on AC radio and the others singles was Sharayah and The Prodigal (I'll Be Waiting) on CCM radio. The first secular love song that Amy co-wrote is "I Love You" on this album, and Love of Another Kind also received CCM airplay plus she regularly performed Fight on tour back in the day. The DX7 is one of the most dated aspects of this album although the songs are great.
    Here are the 4 covers as released on vinyl and cassette, only 2 of the covers were ever used for CD releases.
    W:
    [​IMG]
    O:
    [​IMG]
    R:
    [​IMG]
    D:
    [​IMG]

You can vote for your favorite songs on the album in this thread. People who were introduced to her music during the Heart In Motion days ought to check out this album if any of you haven't heard it.

2. BradOlson

3. BradOlson

4. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

I have the 1985 CD release on A&M, CD-5060, Japan for US. It sounds great - nice and smooth. The insert "booklet" is a four-way foldover.

Thanks Brad, for announcing the anniversary.

AlmanacZinger, davers and Mark B. like this.
  5. BradOlson

You're welcome. Excellent album overall.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    bluerondo, HGN2001 and Mark B. like this.
  6. Mark B.

Mark B. Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this, Brad. I also have the Japan for US CD which HGN mentioned, along with multiple copies on vinyl. Haven’t played it in a while, but I’ll be fixing that later in the day. One of her best, for sure.

bluerondo, HGN2001 and BradOlson like this.
  7. micksmuse

micksmuse Forum Resident

great celebration. if anyone can get you out of a covid funk it is ms. grant. spin this for sure.

8. BradOlson

Her music is light and it is always easy to understand what she's saying and she has a catalog full of great albums so this comment applies. Many people can easily identify her voice blind folded.

9. HGN2001

HGN2001 Mystery picture member

This Japan-for-US CD is so-o-o crankable. You can turn it up without the listener fatigue. It's well-mastered by Doug Sax.

I updated our Album Of The Week for UNGUARDED over at A&M Corner on the occasion of this 35th anniversary.

davers, Mark B. and BradOlson like this.
  10. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

IMO this is, to me, the perfect Amy Grant album. Yes it commercial. So What? More of them ears to hear. You could dance and/or pay attention to the lyrics. Every song is a winner(a clean sweep from me vote wise), a variety of treats for the ears. I still remember seeing her on the MDA telethon live from her concert doing Everywhere I Go and the audience swaying with their hands up. They obviously loved her.
    I think Sharayah is ultimately my favorite song on the album. My impression of it is her childhood friend, practically a sister, is pulling away and heading down a questionable path away from her. Sharayah I care about you, I don't want to lose you. Never read any notes about the song but I think I'm right.
    I considered the CD to be a demo disc for how good they could sound.
    This and the Collection are where I recommend anyone to start with Amy.

head_unit, HGN2001 and BradOlson like this.
  11. BradOlson

These 2 alone provide an excellent cross section of her talents. She's always had commercial sensibilities right from the start which is no secret why she's become the icon she has become. With the light melodies, there are very deep and profound lyrics in her music.

12. BradOlson

Mark B. and JamieC like this.
  13. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

Yep, this is how I found out about her! I haven't bought this album yet but I might snag it now.

Mark B. likes this.
  14. BradOlson

Go on Amazon, eBay or Discogs and look for an A&M, Myrrh, Reunion or RCA CD or an A&M or Myrrh LP pressing of it. All of her albums are full of great music.

Mark B. and MikeManaic61 like this.
  15. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

I wouldn't count myself a major fan of Amy's but this and the two albums either side of it (Straight Ahead, this and Lead Me On) came out at a time when I really needed them. I still think it's an excellent pop album and in fact it could be my favourite of hers (yes I know, there's Lead Me On - but I think this is the one I have most affection for). I voted for the first four and the last two songs, but I like the whole thing to be honest!

Mark B. and JamieC like this.
  16. BradOlson

At least you realize there is more to her legacy than just hit singles. Check out more of her catalog.

Mark B. likes this.
  17. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

So many were sold, including record club editions that they were a common find in thrift stores for a long time.

18. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Whose Idea was the multiple covers? Who did she think she was Zeppelin?

Recordfan and S. P. Honeybunch like this.
  19. BradOlson

The record companies though that it was a good idea to have multiple covers to help bring her into the mainstream world. She had just signed with A&M for secular distribution

head_unit and Mark B. like this.
  20. BradOlson

Her albums are still common in thrift stores.

head_unit and Mark B. like this.
  21. daveidmarx

daveidmarx Forem Residunt

And rightfully so. In '91, I was working in a record store and one month we had to play a rotation of various new releases. One of them was Amy Grant. Well, after about two days of hearing Baby Baby for the umpteenth time, I pulled the CD out of the player and snapped it in half in front of my manager. I said "Oops!" and she said "Thank God!" Thankfully, I believe that's the last time I heard Amy Grant till this day. :thumbsdow

RAJ717 likes this.
  22. BradOlson

That's OK if you aren't a fan, after all, this is for all of the fans.

Recordfan and VH3FAN like this.
  23. JamieC

JamieC Senior Member

Yeah, that one wasn't for me at all. The followup to Unguarded was a disappointment to me.

head_unit likes this.
  24. BradOlson

The followup to Unguarded was Lead Me On (her most critically acclaimed album).

Mark-T and davers like this.
  25. newelectricmuse

newelectricmuse charm, strangeness and quark

Well I'm in the UK so we didn't have a lot of hit singles here (except two from Heart in Motion, which didn't appeal so much). Actually I don't even know which tracks were singles! I do have more of her albums, but of those I've heard it's those three I mentioned that I like the best by far. (I haven't followed her career right up to the present, which is what I meant when I said I wasn't a major fan).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.