Beware the Beatles 180 Gram Mono

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by HiFiTweeter, May 15, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. HiFiTweeter

HiFiTweeter Well-Known Member Thread Starter

I bought the White Album and Rubber Soul both (both still sealed) on eBay from different vendors. Both had warping but I could tolerate it.

Then I bought Magical Mystery Tour (still sealed). It was so badly warped the cartridge bounced around and quivered. Now the listing said there would be no returns on sealed items. When it arrived, I opened it but did not play it, looked ok so I gave the seller + feedback. Afterwards, come to place the record on the turntable and found that is badly warped. This is not an acceptable warp.

Contacted the seller and of course, he refused. I told him you could not notice any defects until you opened it. Still refused and no compromise, and sadly feedback had already been exchanged.

What do you think? Needless to say, I’m going to examine records on the get go before anything is said.

I lost $175 on this. Do you folks want to know what his eBay handle is? He wasn’t very nice. He went as far as saying I have a bad turntable, which I definitely don’t.

But really, those 180s are pretty nice when they’re not warped and they often do have warping. So buyer beware.

That’s all.

ggergm likes this.
  2. Christian Hill

Christian Hill It's all in the mind

How's the seller supposed to know if it's warp if it's sealed? That's why you don't get a return. If you try and file a claim as "item not as described", I don't know if you'll win because he sold you a sealed album and you're going to try and return an open album. You altered the item by opening it.

Gabe Walters likes this.
  3. merlperl

merlperl Forum Resident

Until you open it, it’s both perfect and warped. Schroedinger’s record!

when I bought my Mono box (first day that Amoeba got them), I got home and found that Sgt pepper was Pretty warped. All the others were perfectly flat. I ordered a new pepper from Amazon as they were very easy to get and inexpensive. That one was flat.

The first thing I do when I get new records is put them on the TT to see if they are flat.
    In your case the guy was pretty clear about his return policy and he can’t really know if it’s warped if it’s unopened. But he could be flexible if he’s a business man.
    If I were you I would buy a vinyl flat and fix it!

it’s a good thing to have anyways...

spindly, Gabe Walters, zongo and 3 others like this.
  4. eflatminor

eflatminor Forum Resident

Huh? You bought a sealed record secondhand. That's the chance you take. No way do you deserve a refund.

Get thee a Vinyl Flat and Groovy Pouch and flatten 'em yourself. It'll be fine.

5. HiFiTweeter

Thanks for the input. I see your point. He has 10000 sales under his belt. He could have been flexible but wasn’t, so I dropped the case and closed it.

Last edited: May 15, 2020
    ggergm likes this.
  6. stem

stem Forum Resident

I always wait until I have played through an album before giving feedback, as it is impossible to know how it will be until you have played it.
    However, it is a little different for sealed items, as the seller is clearly unaware of any faults in the pressing and your scope for complaint is limited.
    This is why you take a bit of a gamble when buying sealed lp’s, unless you are buying from a retailer that is prepared to offer a refund even if a sealed item turns out to be faulty on playback.

ted321 likes this.
  7. HiFiTweeter

Yes its a crap shoot. I will not buy from vendors that sell sealed items with no returns anymore. Basically, they are selling a sealed product and are not responsible for what’s inside.

ggergm likes this.
  8. Christian Hill

Why would anyone accept back a sealed album that's been opened? That doesn't even make sense.

9. stem

stem Forum Resident

Well, certain retailers such as Amazon do, of course.
    Much more unlikely with a private seller.

10. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

11. HiFiTweeter

ggergm likes this.
  12. ggergm

I didn't check your status before but with you only being here a few weeks and with 10 posts, you don't have enough to see that forum. 50 posts are required.

Participate across the board and you can easily make 40 more posts over the weekend. You'll be there.

Dave likes this.
  13. HiFiTweeter

oh, ok thanks

ggergm likes this.
  14. purevinyl

purevinyl Forum Resident

:edthumbs:

15. ggergm

Glad to and welcome to the forum.

:pineapple::pineapple::pineapple::pineapple:

Stay away from the unreasonably snarky COVID thread in the Off-Topic forum, which. being an overtly political thread, is an aberration around here, and you'll discover this is one of the civilized back waters of the Internet.

Just don't say "vinyls." There is no such word. "Vinyl" is both singular and plural. "Vinyls" is a word made up by folks who didn't know better. HiFiTweeter, you already impress me as somebody who knows better. :righton:

16. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

I’ll second the Vinyl Flat and Groovy Pouch. But it and you’ll never be concerned about a warped record again.

17. cwitt1980

cwitt1980 Senior Member

I feel any sealed record is a gamble. If the seller stated before you bought it that there could be no returns, then it's not his fault. If a buyer is curious about an item sealed, it'd be wise to inquire how they store their product and if it looks bent/warped in any way. If you're going to just now invest in Beatles mono titles, I'd also invest in something like the Vinyl Flat. I just got one and so far, so good.

18. HiFiTweeter

Yes, I certainly learned my lesson. The latest 180 gram records I bought were NM opened. Since they were already opened I asked them to spin it on a turntable to look for any warping. The sellers said were pretty flat. Before I wrote this post, I had a couple more sealed 180s in the mail. Expensive too. Crossed my fingers - they turned out pretty good. I’m thinking some collectors were selling their sealed records and perhaps, just perhaps didn’t store them properly. :D

My first copy of Magical Mystery was so bad it almost tossed the arm off the record. Expensive too. I bought one from another seller and that copy was open and flat as a board. I also had a copy of the White Album that was warped like a potato chip (both discs) but played fine. Not cheap either. I found a seller with an opened copy of that too. Flat as a board.

I gave my warped copies to someone who would enjoy them as they are. I certainly could not resell them on eBay.

Last edited: Jun 6, 2020
  19. Christian Hill

You could always flatten them.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.