Deep Discount deep discounts*

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by Marvin, May 9, 2016.

1. zongo

zongo Forum Resident

That is totally funny! And from my time looking through those CDs, I have to agree with you. Unbelievable amount of stuff that I have no idea why a distributor would even pick up and have any real thought they were going to be able to get rid of it.

latheofheaven and hutlock like this.
  2. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

Have you ever seen the full length Fight For Your Right to Party Revisited video that’s on here? Holy moley.

latheofheaven likes this.
  3. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Never. Beastie Boys have never been in my wheelhouse despite coming of age during my college years. I was more of a Violent Femmes guy.

4. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

The reason they carry so much crap is that this is the retail operation of Alliance Entertainment, the largest US wholesale distributor of music. They supply pretty much everyone. As such, they have to stock most everything.

And a good fraction of everything is crap no one would want.

At any rate, thanks to the posts in this thread and a little browsing, I managed to find five things to buy today, and enough to get free shipping:

A Real Good Kid Mike Posner $5.41 $5.41
    Father Of All Green Day $6.44 $6.44
    Mothermania: The Best Of The Mothers Frank Zappa $7.37 $7.37
    Shine on Sarah McLachlan $8.07 $8.07
    Songs For Judy Neil Young $8.04 $8.04

GentleSenator, elsanto, SJP and 3 others like this.
  5. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

there is enough room for both... I really like Paul's Boutique and The Mix-Up (their first all instrumental album)

latheofheaven and SJP like this.
  6. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I agree, there is always room for more. I just equated the obvious "party" element of Beastie Boys with what was THE party album of my college days, the debut album by Violent Femmes (even though it has been out for more than a couple years before I hit college, I never heard it until then).

Perhaps mine was the last generation to grow up in a time that was not dominated by hip hop as it was an emerging genre. It just wasn't something I gravitated towards, whether Run DMC or the Beasties. Total respect for Beastie Boys though, they seem to be favorites from sales, critical and cultural points of view.

And probably the reason why I replied in the first place, I really should watch that documentary with my wife.

hutlock, latheofheaven and Matt I like this.
  7. Suedebelly

Suedebelly Forum Resident

You can all thank me later (or buy me a beer at some upcoming virtual show) but for those of you who dive deep into the CD Blowout Bin, don't miss your opportunity to pick up this amazing CD for a mere $4.85:
    Mara Simpson; 285 Days in Deep Discount Blowout Bin: Mara Simpson 285 Days [Import] on DeepDiscount

I knew nothing about the artist until I came across the album cover while searching theough the bin back in early March. I was intrigued with the art so I did a little online research. Singer-songwriter based in England by way of both New Zealand and Kenya. Classically trained in piano and guitar. This appears to be her second album and was released in January 2019 and includes a full band on all the tracks. Her music is described as "“soulful, sincere, warm, rich and intimate" by New Zealand Musician Magazine. Her bio says "Mara’s music will resonate with fans of Patti Smith, Laurie Lee, Patrick Watson and This is The Kit." I would describe her music as having a lot of similarities with David Sylvian (fron the late 1980s era) but with a much more organic and calming vibe. Regardless, it has been the perfect companion for me during these days of chaos and uncertainty during the pandemic. Here's a nice summary of this album from the Rough Trade UK website followed by YouTube links to my three favorite songs from the album:
    "This is intimate story song telling - songs to listen to when you’re tired and lonely and just want someone to sing you to sleep. A piano backs the swooning violin and crooning vocals as they soar to meet up with the occasional whirling organ. These are firelight tales to listen to while drinking whiskey. Sweet bird-like notes, a lick of folk and a kick of country completes a sound both majestic and cathartic."​

Baby, You're The One: Baby You're The One

Exit Plan: Exit Plan

Home: Home

Finding this album in the Blowout Bin makes up for the thousands of crap CDs that I've had to wade through to find this gem (and a few others)!

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    Ed the Dog, Reese, Davidmk5 and 6 others like this.
  8. purevinyl

purevinyl Forum Resident

:thumbsup:

fiftyfivefilms and latheofheaven like this.
  9. Juggsnelson

Juggsnelson Senior Member

I'm Sold.....thanks!

latheofheaven likes this.
  10. hutlock

I am most definitely in! Thanks for the tip.

latheofheaven and SJP like this.
  11. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

i think you guys need a blowoutbin support group or an intervention
    :biglaugh:

12. hutlock

I was literally seconds away from placing another order last night... and I had already placed one on Friday!!! I need to block them on my browser for a week minimum for sure!!

13. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

stocking up on funko pop toys??

14. hutlock

Ugh. I bought the Morrissey one a couple of months back but have thus far avoided more. Although I did strongly consider getting Iggy Pop and all three of the Police (because how can you have just one?)

15. Juggsnelson

Lol.....I grabbed Paul Stanley and a Hello Kitty for a gift.

16. Rentz

Rentz Forum Resident

uh huh, "a gift"
    no judgement.

17. WesB

WesB Forum Resident

Has anyone that received the John Lennon or Neil Young records had an issue? The Lennon discs were supposed to be clear but I received black ones. The Neil Young record was so warped that it is unplayable.

Matt I likes this.
  18. ATMP

ATMP Forum Resident

I just got my shipment today which included Imagine but not Neil. Opened Imagine just now and same for me - sticker says Clear and inside they are black. I also got Odessey and Oracle and played that. It’s jumping around a bit unfortunately...

Matt I likes this.
  19. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Oh man, I guess I shouldn’t hold my breath for my shipment. It should be here within a few days. I guess there’s a reason why they are in the blowout bin? :sigh:

Juggsnelson likes this.
  20. Juggsnelson

Not necessarily. I have ordered tons of records from the blowout bin over the years with very few issues. I don't think they put records in the bin due to warping etc... Just overstock and supply and demand. In the last couple of week's I received Mellencamp, all the Springsteen titles, Art Alexakis, Kiss, Jagger, McCartney....and they were all perfect. Hopefully the Neil Young was an anomaly and the whole batch wasn't ruined. Its a great record!

21. Juggsnelson

Love this record but you're in the wrong thread @mur But while you are here, pick up the new reissues of Wandering Spirit, She's the Boss and Talk Is Cheap! Insanely priced...especially Wandering Spirit!

latheofheaven, superstar19 and mur like this.
  22. mur

mur Hyperactive!

:laugh:

Realized in time to delete it. I passed on the Jagger LPs since I have them on CD. Not sure I would be spinning them enough to Justify purchase. I did grab the Keith Richard LP. It arrived yesterday and I will be opening it today. Thanks to everyone who posted the deals. I also grabbed the Zappa, Soundgarden and Def Leppard CD. Have a great day!

23. krisjay

krisjay Psychedelic Wave Rider

My order got caught in the Deep Discount shipping netherworld. Had to call, they are "reshipping" my order. Hopefully I actually get something, at some point.

Juggsnelson and dasacco like this.
  24. dasacco

dasacco Senior Member

Funny, mine seems to have stopped in Pittsburgh, been there a couple of days with no updates. How long was yours stuck?

25. Boomy

Boomy Senior Member

Mine too. A few weeks ago I ordered an LP from a indie store in Charlotte, NC. It was stuck at a post office in Michigan for a while due to COVID-19 issues. Didn't know if it was because they have a positive test or just general shipping issues.