David Crosby (Cameron Crowe)- Croz's life, "Remember My Name" documentary

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by lemonade kid, Feb 8, 2019.

1. Scott the Zip

Scott the Zip Forum Resident

I think he's the rare artist that has always been uncompromising in vocalizing both his deepest insecurities and his soaring pride.

Very hard to keep friends that way.

2. vonwegen

vonwegen Forum Resident

Unfortunately, GN has his own issues, detailed in other threads on this forum.

Autotune Sucks and JDeanB like this.
  3. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

I’m starting to think this will never get a UK release

blackdograilroad and vudicus like this.
  4. CCrider92

CCrider92 Senior Member

I feel the same way. I've said to my wife after the recent docs on Ronstadt, Laurel Canyon, and Croz that I'm not being arrogant or know it all but I really learned nothing new only because I've read all the books, news reports, mag articles, and keep up with what's going on on a daily basis. That said, I still very much enjoyed the docs anyways.

Joti Cover likes this.
  5. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

Finally saw the doc. I enjoyed it a lot. It's definitely uncompromising, which may come across as self pitying or just not shying away from the tough issues. Of course, they stopped shy of explaining why he fell out with Nash. It's well done. I saw it on Crave (so glad I finally signed up).

6. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

Agree, but what they left out may say more than what was included (I was surprised there was so little of Raymond, & I don't think CPR was even mentioned).

ARK and Ryan Lux like this.
  7. painted8

painted8 Forum Resident

Cros struck me as pretty self-aware of his role in his failed friendships and professional relationships. It doesn’t make him sympathetic, but I appreciate that he admits to be an ahole and isn’t proud of that.

8. Ryan Lux

Ryan Lux Senior Member

It does beg the question, if you’re so self aware of your faults, why haven’t you changed? Haha

9. lemonade kid

lemonade kid Forever Changing Thread Starter

Old dogs...he will admit to being one.

Leopard spots...but Croz has mellowed, and a friend of mine who is a good friend to Croz relates that he HAS changed a lot, for the better.

10. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

Yes, I just saw it as well. Enjoyable.

11. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

David never talked about his brother, either.

12. blackdograilroad

blackdograilroad Forum Resident

.....yeah, what IS the problem here (corona aside just for a moment)?

13. lemonade kid

This from Sid Griffin and his collection of cool stories and memorabilia...Byrds, David Crosby, Burritos, Gram, Dylan, SMiLE, 1970's Long Ryders and more. Original draft of liners notes by Jim Dickson for Turn Turn Turn...never used because, well, some things about Croz that might not have been quite PC...

Sid lives in London nowadays.

WORD IN YOUR EAR

In which Long Ryders/Coal Porters frontman, author, raconteur and alt-country evangelist Sid Griffin bumps into the Byrds, Brian Wilson, the Everlys and Van Dyke Parks, finds historic Gram Parsons photos in a dumpster and parades his impressive selection of signed "licorice pizzas". Includes Jess the Springer Spaniel.

windfall and marmalade166 like this.
  14. raphph

raphph Taking a trip on an ocean liner…

Watched this yesterday. Loved every moment. Had to acquire illegally to see it in London. Tweeted my love to Cameron Crowe and Croz and both responded. Made me emotional that covid seems to be shutting the door to any return for heroes of this era.

15. lemonade kid

Yes. Croz said if he can't tour, he will lose his beautiful ranch. And he also related that touring is what keeps him alive.

He needs to perform for us online during the concert lockdown which doesn't look like it will return this summer...has he?

Last edited: May 17, 2020
    moomoomoomoo likes this.
  16. George P

George P Notable Member

Yeah, he's hit particularly hard with what is going on right now.

moomoomoomoo and Joti Cover like this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, many performers toe whatever line will get them ahead. Not Croz.

18. Abbagold

Abbagold Working class hero

As much as I love Croz, sometimes we have to downsize our lives financially. I've been in situations where money was an issue and sold off stuff that meant a lot to me, but I needed to pay bills. I hope he gets to save his home, it looked beautiful.

19. lemonade kid

I agree...everyone will need to downsize, or shrink their lives a bit or even a lot, for the unforeseeable future. Time for rethinking and reshaping...for many it was over the top self indulgence anyway. The change is now.

Reality check...for us all.

Abbagold and Joti Cover like this.
  20. George P

George P Notable Member

Sad but oh so true.

lemonade kid and Joti Cover like this.
  21. lemonade kid

I
    It turned out be uplifting, brutally honest (by Croz himself), often self deprecating, often touching...a wonderful watch.
    At the premier, the audience gave Croz a standing ovation. Hardly an artist that has been more important, and more of an icon and iconoclast their whole recording life.

22. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I loved the documentary. I've grown to appreciate Croz. You could say he was easily his own worst enemy. Croz is one of the most colorful characters in the annals of Rock history, and it's all the more interesting for it.

23. George P

George P Notable Member

Well said. :agree:

ARK, lemonade kid and Ryan Lux like this.
  24. lemonade kid

That is odd since the UK has always been big on the Byrds and its family tree.

It's on STARZ & HULU ... that's where I watched it a couple months ago...still there.
    But I suppose that isn't a cable/satellite channel(s) you get in the UK?

Or you can get the HD version for $9.99 on Amazon Prime...

25. chickendinna

chickendinna Homegrown’s All Right With Me

I'm not even half-way through disc one of Voyage, the 3 disc retrospective of Croz compiled by Joel Bernstein and Graham Nash, and what struck me is that he doesn't get the credit he deserves for his masterful songwriting. Croz is like the pro athlete who's off-field antics sometimes overshadow his accomplishments on the field. It's a shame really.

ARK, painted8, lemonade kid and 4 others like this.