SH Spotlight I'm asked stuff: Favorite mastering engineer, best BOSTON CD, best TRAVELING WILBURYS CD, etc..

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Oct 3, 2018.

1. Tom Favata

Tom Favata tbuick6

Thanks lukpac and George for your responses.

2. 2141

2141 Forum Resident

Hi Steve, first of all I just want to say thank you for creating this most incredible website! Especially now, with all of us being so much more cooped up than normal, I think this place is really a godsend to a lot of people to help get through everything that much easier/better. Thank you! :righton:

So here's a slightly different, hopefully sort of fun question. If you could simply snap your fingers, wiggle your nose or wave a magic wand with no undesirable repercussions or issues to worry about in doing so, would you prefer to do your work/art in what I presume the "golden age" of analog to be, probably the 60s and 70s (with everything that entails, old tube gear, etc), or would you take now, when you can basically enjoy a hybrid of digital tools along with the analog that exists now, therefore (perhaps) making the job and results that much better. Which would be your preference if it was that easy to go to one time period or the other?

ParloFax, DaverJ and Jon H. like this.
  3. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Hi Steve!

Just wondered if you remember the Vintage Collectibles Volume 2 CD that you mastered; it has an alternate mix of Steppenwolf's Born To Be Wild with no slide guitar and a longer ending. Any recollections of the source of that version?

Steppenwolf Born To Be Wild alternate mixes

JediJoker likes this.
  4. Steve Hoffman

Steve Hoffman Your host Your Host Thread Starter

Older is Golder.

5. jwoverho

jwoverho Licensed Drug Dealer

The DCC SAMMY DAVIS JR. SINGS/LAURINDO ALMEIDA PLAYS CD remains one of my absolute favorites. Since you have a mixing credit on this, what was your process and how much did it diverge from the original mix? I would think since were talking about a vocal and guitar, it couldn't be much, but it has a palpable "you are in the room" ambiance that's terrific. A tremendous document of Sammy's often overlooked vocal talent, and that Almeida guy ain't bad either!;)

6. Steve Hoffman

Can't remember much, there were a zillion edits that broke. Tried to keep Sammy as natural as possible on each song. Recorded in Las Vegas at United there..

JediJoker and jwoverho like this.
  7. C6H12O6

C6H12O6 Senior Member

Any details that you remember about the DCC reissues for Bonnie Raitt?

Also any masterings of Nick Lowe albums that you prefer?

8. Steve Hoffman

Sorry I ever used that. It's a weak version, missing stuff. Oh, well.

Jon H. likes this.
  9. Steve Hoffman

Delbert McClinton loved the Bonnie DCC Golds. That made me happy.

Nick Lowe? Better ask someone who has compared..

Larry B and C6H12O6 like this.
  10. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

You fool! You cad!

Just kidding, Cap’n. I like that version, because of the longer ending. Would you believe, I heard that version on the radio in the ‘90’s?!?!

And, as an aside, your DCC Cream “Wheels of Fire” is the absolute BEST I’ve ever heard that material! Thanks for the time you spent making that one sound great. :righton:

Beefalo and hodgo like this.
  11. Steve Hoffman

Thank you. WHEELS OF FIRE is rather a dud sounding master tape, we did what we could to bring it to life..

vinylshadow, Beefalo, hodgo and 3 others like this.
  12. Jon H.

Jon H. Forum Resident

Thank YOU, good sir. A great album, made better by good mastering, is something that we all wish for.

vinylshadow and hodgo like this.
  13. Steve Hoffman

That is true. Something that is getting harder and harder to find these days..

Crazysteve and hodgo like this.
  14. Dok

Dok Senior Member

So, what are the chances of you and Marshall having one more go around? Even on a smaller scale? Just a few a year or something? You know everyone here would be jumping on them! Seems like I remember Spirit's Clear already being in the can. ;)

Sorry, it's been a trying night, I've had a snake in my hallway loft area. I think I finally got him to go back the way he came thankfully.

And thank you Steve for all the great work you've done over the years that we'll be enjoying from here to eternity!

George P likes this.
  15. Steve Hoffman,

"Smoke & Mirrors - Vanish" 2013
    Smoke & Mirrors Percussion Ensemble - Vanish

Producer Bob Attiyah credits you for mastering this ceedee release & Bernie Grundman for mastering the wax release on Yarlung Records.

How was it working w/the master tape generated though circuits designed by Len Horowitz?
    &
    What do you know about the "German Audiophile Pressing" of the CD?

Thanks & hope your entire family is safe.

:angel:

16. Steve Hoffman

Len is a genius. So is Bob Attiyah. An honor to work with them. The German pressed CD is beautiful, isn't it?

SinnerSaint likes this.
  17. Steve Hoffman

Always a chance. Licensing is so difficult now. The majors think they can do it all.

SonicZone, Exotiki, RSteven and 6 others like this.
  18. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

Arrogance.

They think they can do it all but hardly ever do it well these days.

No need to respond, since you have to play ball with them.

Exotiki, teag, hodgo and 1 other person like this.
  19. Robert9080

Robert9080 Forum Resident

1- Are you one of those who believe that there was a decade that did witness the most creative music productions ,and that musical composition by 2000's + ... lacks creativity?

2- what is you favorite headphone(s) for music listening?

3- your bee gees favorite song ?

thank you Mr Hoffman

and please pin this wonderful thread.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  20. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

How did You(and KG) get the licensing to do the Mastering on Vinyl for 'Stadium Arcadium'(RHCP), since being on the WB Label(a Major Label).

This Album is the only Post 2000 Release that I am aware that You(and KG) had done the Mastering, unless I am missing something else you had worked on for any Post 2000 Releases.

Since it was made for WB, then why did they not also use your Mastering for the CDs(2 CDs Set)?

Did any of the RHCP Band Members provide feedback to You and KG on your Mastering Job? Did they even care at all about your work?

Hope You had a Good, Relaxin Memorial Day Weekend. Seeing the Beach Scenes at Manhattan on the National News(Part of their Beaches Social Distancing Stories) had me missing those days of when a few 6'5"-6'9" Dudes would ask, "What is the Score of this 'Final' Game you are playing on this Court?" I might have only been 6'1", but I had a Vertical Jump of 28":cool:.

21. Steve Hoffman

Chili Peppers requested us specifically.

22. Joseph LeVie

Joseph LeVie Forum Resident

Well, you did such a great job that your Wheels Of Fire turned me from a Cream hater to a Cream liker. Still not a lover, but, it was four decades of hate.

23. Steve Hoffman

It’s a start.

24. Thank you for answering, Steve.

Don't have any other ceedee pressing or any other release on any other format to compare it too.
    The gold tint helps...
    hahaha

Percussions are dynamic though, which is the reason for purchasing this title [found on Discogs under your credits], plenty of attack. Ambiance, space, & decay won me over.

Wish all tracks were w/o vocals tho.

No reply requested nor required.

Stay safe.

:angel:

25. pinkchris1967

pinkchris1967 Exalted and Revered Member

I'm sorry if this was asked before, but I didn't read the entire thread. What kind of preparation do you do before a mastering job and I'm sure the time varies, but what is usually the average time for a mastering job?

JediJoker likes this.