Anybody have a Barnes and Noble on-line coupon that works?

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by jimsumner, Oct 26, 2018.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Great price indeed, especially for release-weekend. I'm going to hold out until the holidays and see what happens. Beatles are not so important to me that I'll feel anything if I somehow miss out.

I managed to pick up a couple recent releases on the sale. Both are oversized (small book sized) versions, $11 & change each which seemed like a decent value.

[​IMG]

Pixies ‎– Beneath The Eyrie
    Label:
    Infectious Music ‎– INFECT526CDX
    Format:
    CD, Album, Deluxe Edition

Released:
    13 Sep 2019
    Genre:
    Rock
    Style:
    Indie Rock

[​IMG]

Boy George And Culture Club ‎– Life
    Label:
    BMG ‎– 538428852
    Format:
    CD, Album, Limited Edition
    Europe
    Released:
    26 Oct 2018
    Genre:
    Rock

2. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

They’ve often issued coupons for the holidays and summer reading crowd. Not surprised that there’s nothing out now.

3. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

i've noticed that. however, they're blasting me weekly with coupons for discounts good only on book purchases. doesn't seem like a winning strategy...

superstar19 likes this.
  4. Black Elk

Black Elk Music Lover

superstar19 likes this.
  5. Synthfreek

Synthfreek I’m a ray of sunshine & bastion of positivity

Do you not use the Honey plug-in for your browser?

6. jimsumner

jimsumner Senior Member Thread Starter

Me again. Anybody have an active Barnes and Noble coupon? They seem to no longer be in the send-coupons-in-the-mail-to-members business.

7. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

Nope.

I've been a longtime champion of B&N but the new ownership has really screwed up by virtually eliminating the coupons and also not allowing the membership discount during the vinyl sale earlier this year. Last I checked, I paid for member benefits and the rules were changed mid-stream.

I still go there (were it not for the pandemic) but buy less than before. This reminds me. I need to check on when my membership renews because I don't want to pay for another year under the current terms. Also need to let the family know that with my upcoming birthday later this month, Amazon cards are preferred over B&N. It used to be the other way around when you could depend on coupons and/or sweet sales on Memorial Day weekend.

GentleSenator and superstar19 like this.
  8. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

yeah, i'm canceling my membership. it's nice that they want to get "back to their roots" or whatever and focus on books, but selling everything at high prices and never offering any real discounts just isn't worth it to me.

superstar19 likes this.
  9. Davidmk5

Davidmk5 Forum Resident

It's crazy , i have not seen any coupons or codes for months , you'd think they'd be tossing out at least 10% coupons once or twice a month & grab come of the Online sales while most are home :shrug:

superstar19 likes this.
  10. Barnes & Noble have been operating at a loss for some time. The new owners were likely trying to tighten up operations and improve margins. I'd worry the extended shutdown puts the chain on the brink of bankruptcy.

superstar19, hutlock and Davidmk5 like this.
  11. lenny nero

lenny nero down by the ruined bridge

Last coupon they sent out was on Mar 13. I hope the pandemic isn't the final nail in the coffin for them. I miss browsing in the store so bad!

superstar19, Davidmk5 and SJP like this.
  12. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

I too enjoy browsing and buying at B&N and sincerely hope the pandemic doesn't signal their end.

My statement in not renewing my membership is like cutting off my nose to spite my face but what they did during the vinyl sale really bothered me. Don't sell a membership with defined benefits and change the rules. It'll be sure to tick off the most loyal of customers.

I checked yesterday, my current membership expires in late June so I took it off auto-pay for the renewal.

superstar19 and Davidmk5 like this.
  13. Northwindblewsouth

Northwindblewsouth Throws Right, Bats Left

Lots of other retailers have special sales with products (much like 50% off LPs) that are not eligible for further discounts.

I’m definitely going to renew my Barnes & Noble membership as I enjoy visiting the local store. They’re very accommodating and it’s a great place to browse, read magazines, and consume coffee and baked goods. Last year I did about half my holiday shopping there in one trip.

They’ve also been good about ordering titles for me that they didn’t have in stock.

If B & N goes under, no full service store that sells new books will be anywhere around here—and I live 6 or 7 miles from Downtown LA!

14. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I hope that they and record retailers hand out gloves to allow for risk reduced browsing, given the number of times something is picked up and put down. There's a longstanding joke about bringing hand sanitizer to record shows but it's hitting a bit close to home now.

15. SJP

SJP Forum Resident

This is true but I'm sure you've been around B&N enough to know that there has never been any such restriction when it came to stacking their membership discount on top of sale promotions with the exception of one, their new release hardbacks that are stickered at 40% off. And we knew this going in when purchasing the membership.

Any other discount percentage was fair game whether it was a random percentage, 50% off Criterion or even the clearance bins that progressed from half-off to 75% off to a flat $2 per item. Yes, even on the $2 stuff, you'd pay $1.80 with the additional membership discount.

We paid for this nominal benefit. While the fine print probably says they can change the terms as they see fit, I can also choose not to renew because they changed the terms. And this breaks my heart because like you, I would visit one of their stores at least 1-2x per week. The soon-to-be-lost art of browsing would often lead me to purchase something that otherwise I'd have never seen.

I bought a lot of vinyl at their 50% sale. B&N would have been better off by either honoring the membership discount with the vinyl sale or discounting at 40% off instead of 50% and honoring the additional membership discount. While the effective discount would have been 46%, people wouldn't have been taken aback by the lack of membership discount. I was not the only one. It wasn't unusual to be standing in line and hear the same conversation over and over, "what, why doesn't my membership discount work???". Heck, with the way I saw some people swooping in and buying substantial numbers of records, I bet B&N would have sold more memberships as well.

And just so we're clear, I'm not lobbying against B&N in any way. I hope they somehow come out of this pandemic. I'm simply expressing my dissatisfaction with their membership program, something which in the past I have never hesitated to point out the value of.

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    longdist01 and GentleSenator like this.
  16. 00Diablo

00Diablo Senior Member

I miss the days of browsing physical media at Tower Records, Borders, even Best Buy had a sizable music and movie section up until about ten years ago! Other than local, independent book and record stores, Barnes & Noble seems to be the very last of that breed still standing. But their downsizing of physical media and stricter coupon policies had me buying from them less and less. Not allowing membership discounts on the vinyl sale was the last straw for me as well, as I was offended they changed the terms after taking my $25 bucks. I turned off the auto-renew for my membership shortly thereafter. I still go there about once a week for a cup of coffee and browsing magazines, graphic novels and such, but then the pandemic hit. And I still have a couple B&N gift cards to spend. Although many retailers have reopened in my state (Nevada), the B&N in my neighbored is still closed. I don’t think they will make it much longer.

PhantomStranger, superstar19 and SJP like this.
  17. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

They’ve been running a bunch of buy one get one 50% off in the book departments. After they were sold the new owners were up front about refocusing on books.

I haven’t been on their web page lately to see what they’re doing for music or movie specials. Since the lock down hit I’ve made my physical media purchases through Bull Moose to support a local chain.

18. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

That’s a good 2 hour drive. :laugh: ;)

19. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

After it was apparent that Coupons of 20% off started to go away after late last Summer(only recall getting one last Fall), the writing was on the wall with the New Ownership, and I did not renew my membership in February. Looks like even a smarter decision after Covid-19 shut down their physical stores soon after that time for my membership renewal.

I doubt B & N survives in a Post Covid-19 World. If this happens, I will miss browsing and occasionally buying the Music Magazines, especially the UK Music Magazines. I might have to order the New one with Talking Heads on the Front Cover.

20. davers

davers Forum Resident

Indeed, after a break earlier in the year B&N was sending out general coupons right up to the time COVID-19 started to take hold. I'm curious to see if they start up again as restrictions begin to ease.

longdist01 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.