Ipod Classic

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by hbbfam, Mar 2, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Sevoflurane

Sevoflurane Forum Resident

I have the same device, and have hardly used my old iPod Classic since getting the Sony. I have an AptX HD Bluetooth receiver on one stereo and a set of AptX HD headphones.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  2. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

Yeah, I didn't describe the issue very well and should not have placed blame with car play. My car stereo does not recognize the classic either through car play or through the USB input without car play. Like @cdash99 said, auxiliary line in seems to be the only option, and that's not a very attractive option as you lose display of title/artist/album/cover art. So I just use my phone. Modern problems :D

timind and Sneaky Pete like this.
  3. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Maybe it’s just my stubborn contrarian streak but I forego Car Play and listen to my Walkman in the car and use Bluetooth for phone calls. Because I can switch between the phone and Walkman in real time.

I love CarPlay and when my wife is the driver she goes all in for it. But I don’t like the fact that it limits my options. I cannot switch freely between my music player and Car Play. Once I start Car Play I’m stuck in Apple’s World. Apple blatantly is using their hardware and software to force you into streaming music from them. It’s total vertical integration and it is anti-competitive and bad for consumers. The monopolistic tendencies of the big players in tech are basically unchecked. I use my feeble Personal means to “fight the power” in little ways. I can see the tsunami rising over my shoulder.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  4. curbach

curbach Some guy on the internet

It's all true :laugh: Nevertheless, I like using car play for the navigation, voice control for text messages. etc. But it's damned annoying when you want to listen to the radio :realmad:

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  5. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Really? My VW allows me to go in/out of CarPlay with no issues.

6. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

In my Ford from 2018 I cannot switch to other Bluetooth devices with out completely disabling Car Play. Even then the Bluetooth devices generally will not connect without shutting off the vehicle and restarting. Not practical when you are driving.

Newer versions may have corrected that issue, or maybe VW has addressed it.

7. ukrules

ukrules Forum Resident

Hmmm...let me experiment with that use case when I go to the grocery today.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  8. cdash99

cdash99 Senior Member

I run into these proprietary issues in CarPlay as well, although it does allow for access to the Tidal, Spotify, and SXM apps. What it does not allow me to do is use the built in Siri app to request a station on SXM.

It's a separate question, but does Android Play act in a similar manner?

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  9. Sevoflurane

As I have posted above, you can sync your own music onto your iPhone like an iPod and control that using CarPlay. You don’t have to use Apple Music. Even though I have Apple Music I tend to just pick “downloaded music” on the CarPlay interface so I know I am playing my own CD rips.

I guess car interfaces vary, but on my Outlander I can swap out of CarPlay to use the tuner without any great problem. The UK Outlanders no longer have navigation built in so a navigation app via CarPlay is the best option.

Sneaky Pete likes this.
  10. coepc

coepc Forum Resident

I'm pretty sure it's next to impossible on iOS, you really can't backtrack to older app versions, especially Apple ones, or even old software versions (of iOS). Once you update to the newest iOS version, there is a very short window of time that you could possibly restore to the old iOS version, and that window is only available if you update soon after they release it. After that you can't go backwards.

The best bet is to find a different music player, there are many that will simply read the Apple Music library on your device (just the music you downloaded on there from iTunes, not stuff in the cloud, or from the subscription service), so you can sync music with iTunes to Apple Music on your device, then just use the other player to play the music.

I like JetAudio the most, but others I like are Vox and FooBar2000. JetAudio and Foobar also allow you to drag and drop music to their own folder through iTunes, but I find it's easier to just sync to Apple Music first, so every player has the same music (because iOS doesn't let you share the music you put in the JetAudio or Foobar music folders with other apps.)

11. coepc

coepc Forum Resident

I have seen on ebay and amazon they sell portable CD Discman players that have Bluetooth built in (from a brand called HOTT, I think, and also Toshiba, on ebay). Kind of defeats the purpose of the Lossless music on the CD, but could be an option to play CD's in a car with no other options.

reddyempower likes this.
  12. coepc

coepc Forum Resident

In iTunes, I have it checkmarked to "Manually manage music and videos" but also checkmarked to "Sync" when it's connected, but I also don't have it checkmarked to sync any playlists, podcasts or anything else automatically. I never have a problem things getting lost or auto-deleted, whatever's on my iphone or iPad is what I manually put on there (and also downloaded purchases directly on the iOS device, I don't use the subscription service).

I also don't use the "File Sharing" option with third party music players either because the music files can only be seen by the one app's folder that you placed the music in. I like the players that can read the Apple Music library, it's a lot easier for all the players to have access to the same music files.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  13. jcmusic

jcmusic Forum Resident

I been using my Classic ipod in my truck for the last 10 years or more, I have 1200 songs on it so I never know what's next and it sounds much better than anything else I've tried.. All the music on it is wav files so no compression...

Bingo Bongo and Jam757 like this.
  14. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I inherited my daughters pink one when she joined streaming nation! :laugh:

Bingo Bongo and Eric_Generic like this.
  15. formbypc

formbypc Forum Resident

For those that don't work, and if the problem is the (spinning) hard drive, then replacement of the drive with 128Gb of solid-state memory is within the scope of the reasonably-competent DIYer

timind likes this.
  16. AirJordanFan93

AirJordanFan93 Forum Resident

I just bought a refurbished 7th gen iPod classic with a 256GB SSD in place of the old HDD. Ive been using the new iPod Touch since October and while its fine I hate the battery life on it. There is really nothing tying me to iOS to keep me using the Touch and would much rather have an actual DAP as opposed to an iPhone 7 lite which is basically what the Touch is.

Jam757 likes this.
  17. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I’m running into the same space issues that everyone does. Currently have a 7th gen 160gb Classic which is basically maxed out and there’s an issue where it will no longer transfer so I’ve just been occasionally playing it as is. I have a 256gb IPhone XR which probably gets the most use in the car because of the Bluetooth. Problem here is this is totally maxed out and I’ve already had to delete a ton of photos. Also, another issue is that the Bluetooth never recognizes the library so I have to use the phone controls to change songs (both tedious and dangerous). Well today I’ve embarked on a solution, purchasing a modified “refurbished” 5th generation Classic with the Wolfson chip, new battery and 1 TB of storage. The cost was $420 plus tax so I really hope I get some good longevity out of it.

18. timind

timind phorum rezident

If it was refurbished with a new battery you shouldn't have issues with battery life. Mine seems to play forever.

Jam757 likes this.
  19. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

The IPod Classic is an absolute work-horse! I was sad to hear when they discontinued it. Why can’t some things like music be separate from the phone!?

JeffMo likes this.
  20. AirJordanFan93

I don't have issues with the battery of my classic. I didn't like the battery life of my iPod Touch thus why I got the Classic so I would have a DAP that didn't need to be charged every other day.

timind likes this.
  21. Sevoflurane

My iPod Video from 2005 now has a 128GB SD card and the battery lasts much longer without a disc to spin. You may find the same with your SSD Classic.

22. AirJordanFan93

Yep, From memory, I don't think my old Classic with the standard HDD got this much battery life.

Sevoflurane likes this.
  23. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Well I got in trouble last night when my wife saw my new red 1 TB Classic charging and asked me how much it costs! I guess I have to but her some things. Absolutely loving this thing though. I put about 2300 songs on it last night and still has something like 880 gb free! I did a bit of casual listening (Sennheiser HD-598) testing last night and the warm sound of the Wolfson chip does make a difference. Sounds fantastic! If there's anyone looking for a great sounding player with large capacity I highly recommend one of these refurbished deals. You could "maybe" do it yourself and save some money but the parts are still going to cost you quite a bit so for me the $420 price tag was more than fair.

24. timind

timind phorum rezident

Parts, including new battery, for the upgrade would run $225 or so if you already have the ipod. The trouble is finding the ipods with the Wolfson dac. I have a 5th gen ipod with 512gb, it sounds great, but pretty sure it doesn't have the Wolfson dac.

PhilBiker likes this.
  25. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

I'm curious why would it not have the Wolfson dac? The one I purchased specifically advertised that it did have the Wolfson dac.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.