The Archies - Sugar Sugar Original 1969 Music Video

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

2. Spaghettiows

Spaghettiows Forum Resident

Archie Andrews was a tyrant band leader. Jughead Jones blames his drug problems on Archie's constant berating of his subpar drumming.

3. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

Breathtaking in expression of the then-in-vouge neo-primitive aesthetic. Why aren't the Archies being 'taught' in the echelons of higher education?

MikaelaArsenault and Raylinds like this.
  4. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

The song is admittedly not bad at all when taken at face value....and can you believe that Ray Stevens (yes, THAT Ray Stevens) is on there, too?

But my God....I despise Filmation productions! :D

5. Raylinds

Yeah, Archie used to say "Jughead isn't even the best drummer in The Archies."

6. Raylinds

This video instantly transported me back to Saturday Mornings when I was 12. All I need to do is add a Hot Wheels commercial.

7. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Archie really sounds like Baby Bear from Sesame Street.

8. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

That's what always irked me about the whole ARCHIES thing. I have absolutely no problem with the music, but why does Archie have an absurd cartoon voice when speaking and then a singing voice which has absolutely zero similarities?

He totally pulled a Jim Nabors on us!

9. MikaelaArsenault

I wonder who did the voice for Archie in the cartoon.

10. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

Thanks for posting, brings back those warm childhood memories. I recall having a 45rpm single of this that came on the back of a cereal box. Anyone out here remember the specifics?

In addition, a fellow I grew up with claimed to remember that it played from the inner groove out, but I don’t remember that at all. Perhaps I’ll throw on Jack White’s Lazeretto and it will all come flooding back....

Raylinds likes this.
  11. Hall Cat

Hall Cat Senior Member

Dallas McKennon. I don't know why he made Archie's voice so annoying

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  12. FredV

FredV Senior Member

Ron Dante, the singing voice of The Archies.

13. MikaelaArsenault

Thank you!

Hall Cat likes this.
  14. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

It never hit me until now but Archie sounds like the Snack Bar Alien:

15. FredV

FredV Senior Member

I think they were trying to replicate the way Archie and the gang were voiced in the 1940’s radio show. Bob Hastings voiced Archie in the radio series, he even sang on the show.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

16. FredV

FredV Senior Member

17. Marshall

Marshall Forum Resident

18. sharedon

sharedon Forum Zonophone

Bob Hastings from McHale's Navy played both Lt. Carpenter and Archy!! I never knew that!

19. JozefK

JozefK Forum Resident

"Betty and Veronica were sluts pretending to be ladies, while Josie & The Pussycats were ladies pretending to be sluts."

20. chicofishhead

chicofishhead Forum Resident

ABC-TV once aired a series called The Music Scene, which was directed by the great Stan Harris between his stints with The Smothers Brothers Comedy Hour and The Midnight Special. Many of the episodes were released on DVD, and when watching them you get the sense that the producers and cast tried to make a show presenting some of the best music of the era (CSNY, James Brown, Sly, Merle Haggard, etc), but the network (I assume) stipulated that they also had to feature the number one song each week.
    Well, "Sugar Sugar" was number one for about the first four weeks of the show, and apparently the above video wasn't available yet. Host David Steinberg shows his obvious contempt for the song each time he has to introduce the visualization they cooked up for the show, including one clip I found on YouTube, which would definitely not pass muster these days. After it had finally fallen from the top spot, the cartoon clip finally became available, and their frustration definitely shows as they were made to present it once again, this time the "official" video.

21. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

22. Holerbot6000

Holerbot6000 Forum Resident

I think I had that box at one point. Sugar Bear was supposed to be a super hip beatnick bear but I remember he sounded just like Bing Crosby....

23. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

I never got the tic tac toe board above his ears.

ZippyPippy likes this.
  24. Raylinds

It's like Gilligan's Island- are you a Mary Ann or a Ginger guy? I think Mary Ann guys went for Betty and Ginger guys went for Veronica.

greelywinger likes this.
  25. Chip TRG

Chip TRG Senior Member

The *other* big Archie's hit, #10US/#1CAN. Apparently the master film of Jingle Jangle is missing from the Filmation archives, and this airing was saved from an Ed Sullivan episode that aired it as a promo clip.

I'm dead serious when I say that this tune has a cool groove. The lead vocal duet of Toni Wine and Ron Dante doing a matching falsetto works in a strange way.

MarkTheShark, Raylinds and JamieC like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.