Single best TV show. (One show only) That you have ever seen.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by thestereofan, May 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Parachute Woman

Parachute Woman Forum Resident

There are several more great comedic episodes of The X-Files: Bad Blood and Small Potatoes both spring to mind (both written by Vince Gilligan, by the way). And some episodes with lighter tone, though not necessarily comedic like Rain King, Dreamland, and The Goldberg Variation.

For my own vote: while I considered top episodes from Buffy and Firefly, the best episode of television I believe I've ever seen is "Ballad of Fallen Angels," the fifth episode of Cowboy Bebop.

2. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Who was on it?
    I kid !

JoeOnWheels likes this.
  3. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Siberian hamster.

“Don’t they have rats in Spain, or did Franco have them all shot?”

SomeCallMeTim likes this.
  4. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I have to go with the pilot episode for "Wha' Happened?" Should it have been canceled due to a total lack of interest? I don't think so!

5. misterjones

Was that a real, full-length show? Anything with Fred Willard in it has to be great.

6. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I don’t think so!

halfjapanese and misterjones like this.
  7. tomhayes

tomhayes Senior Member

Curb Your Enthusiasm - "The Doll"

Simply an amazing episode where nearly every single set-up pays off. Like 6 things get set-up, and six things pay off.

If you watch it make sure the sounds up for the final scene.

8. George Co-Stanza

George Co-Stanza Forum Resident

Susie, after figuring out what Larry did, looking at him and mouthing, "I knew it was you, you sick ****," is an all-time great comedy moment.

9. misterjones

Here is the relevant plot from Wikipedia:

Elaine's co-worker Peggy thinks that Elaine is a different woman named "Susie". Kramer begins to live out his gambling addiction through Jerry, by placing bets in Jerry's name. But when Jerry wins, Mike the bookie can't pay up. When Jerry accidentally closes his car trunk door on Mike's thumbs, Mike becomes afraid of him. Later, Mike tries to make it up to Jerry by fixing his trunk but gets trapped inside.

Meanwhile, Peggy starts talking to "Susie" (actually Elaine) about Elaine, making derogatory comments about her. Elaine becomes angry, partly because of the comments, but also, bizarrely, because Peggy addresses her as "Suze" rather than Susie. When Peterman overhears, he wants to resolve the conflict and demands a meeting between Peggy, Elaine, and "Susie". Elaine becomes so tired of pretending to be Susie that, while driving in the car one night, Jerry tells her that she should "eliminate her". Mike (trapped in the trunk) overhears this, and believing Susie to be a real person, becomes even more terrified of Jerry, thinking that he is a killer, especially when Jerry and Elaine both start to laugh sinisterly (though they are really just laughing at a funny bumper sticker).

Elaine tells Peterman that Susie committed suicide and a bereaved Peterman organizes a memorial service for her. Elaine delivers the eulogy at the wake, but becomes confused when Peterman announces that he had slept with "Susie". Peggy is even more confused to see Elaine, thinking she was Susie. When Peggy tells Jerry, "I guess I never met Susie", he claims to have slept with both Elaine and Susie. The service comes to an abrupt end when Mike (after being freed from Jerry's trunk) bursts in and accuses Jerry of murdering Susie, but Jerry seems unconcerned, merely commenting to Peggy, "Not only that, I broke his thumbs."

10. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Like the bit where Larry gets a rash on his genitals from an allergic reaction from the plastic doll head he had to hide down his pants. He starts complaing he's going to have to tell the doctor he had a doll's had in his underwear.
    " That 's going to be fun."

11. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

ANDY GRIFFITH SHOW

"Fun Girls" Ep. 122 - 1964

12. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

BoJack Horseman, Season 5, "Free Churro".

13. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

The episode of the Prisoner where he runs for office. I forget the title.

brew ziggins likes this.
  14. Steve Litos

Steve Litos Senior Member

Looking back at it, Moonlighting really hit it's stride by the 4th episode (The Next Murder You Hear...the one with the love line radio host).

It rarely disappointed thru #32 It's A Wonderful Job.

I thought #21 Witness For The Execution with Roberts Blossom as the old man packed some kind of wallop and payoff. As a somewhat "case based" episode it was the best.

team2 likes this.
  15. Etienne Hanratty

Etienne Hanratty Forum Resident

In the time it’s taken me to read this thread, I’ve decided that, right now, I’d nominate the episode of Homicide set in the subway station. Normally, I find (near) single set episodes lacking in naturalism as though the writers and actors are treating them as an opportunity to show their chops rather than tell a story for the viewers, but this got nearly everything right and the final scene was perfect.

For a sitcom, I’d go with the episode of Peep Show where Mark takes a shine to a shoe shop assistant and travels down to Devon and pretends to be a mature student in an attempt to woo her.

edit: on reflection, I’m going with the episode of Peep Show that features the trip to the bowling alley.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    rogertheshrubber likes this.
  16. jupiter8

jupiter8 Forum Resident

Lots of great picks here.

For me, recently anyway, Watchmen episode 6 "This Extraordinary Being".

4_everyman likes this.
  17. misterjones

I like the part where he keeps saying “no comment” to the press and they jot down answers for him, then he finally provides a detailed answer and the reporter notes on his pad “no comment”.

elaterium likes this.
  18. The Panda

The Panda Forum Mutant

Miami Vice "Evan"

The great William Russ stars as an undercover Fed who has lost his way. The ending with Don Johnson's Sonny unable to forgive a dying man his sins of 20 years ago is miles away from a happy ending, it leaves you uneasy and a bit antagonistic against our hero. The use of Peter Gabriel's Rhythm of the Heat and Biko is eerie.

Myke likes this.
  19. DigMyGroove

DigMyGroove Forum Resident

A friend JUST alerted me to the Shout Factory MH, MH DVD box set being available on eBay for around $68. He bought one sealed and said it appeared to be 100% legitimate.

Michael likes this.
  20. Jeff Kent

Jeff Kent Forum Resident

21. elaterium

elaterium Forum Resident

Yes, fantastic. Also, at the end, when his aide, who has been speaking some sort of faux East European language the entire episode, says in plain English, after repeatedly slapping him, “will you never learn”? It’s really powerful.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
  22. rogertheshrubber

rogertheshrubber Senior Member

Oh wow - yes, YES!
    The Homicide episode with the train is fantastic! Featuring Vincent D'Onofrio!

23. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

In one of the great sitcoms ever, and one not mentioned here (that I noticed) was
    "Louie goes too far". Louie peaks at Elaine while she is changing clothes. Great ending seen of Louie showing true remorse.

BNell likes this.
  24. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

thanks....I got screwed once so I am very careful...I'll look and check it out. Hopefully This is going OOP or it it already? If it is OOP mostly likely the box is a pirate...

25. Robert M.

Robert M. Forum Resident

The Twilight Zone - The Changing of the Guard

A measure of a man.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.