Looking for a reliable DVD player

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by dave9199, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I have a Sony DVD player that I bought new in 2004 and it's been great. I think I paid about $70 for it. The only issue now is it doesn't have an HDMI-out and I recently inherited a flat screen tv and am looking to upgrade. But when I look at reviews there can be a lot of good ones but there are also a number of bad ones and I don't want to waste my money.

I'm not looking for a high end but something that will just always work and I'm not sure of the quality of well known brand names now. I use it just for watching DVDs and nothing else. It's not hooked up to a stereo or computer. Just DVD to TV, that's it. What brand names and models would be best for what I'm looking for? Thank you.

2. nosticker

nosticker Forum Guy

I have used my PS3 for years and years to play Blu-Rays and DVDs and it's been awesome. It played a few discs that my much-newer Samsung DVD player did not like.

Dan

captainsolo likes this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

just buy a Sony BD player and you'll have DVD and BD capability for cheap...there's one that's out there under a hundred dollars online.

Darrin L., James RD, Dan C and 2 others like this.
  4. Michael

I have an Oppo DV-981HD DVD Player
    with HDMI OUTPUT ...no component analog out! but video and S-Video Out...I always thought this was WEIRD![​IMG]

Last edited: May 18, 2020
    wayneklein and TMRY like this.
  5. TMRY

TMRY Forum Resident

Must have missed that one!

Oppo was always ahead of their time.

Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

TMRY likes this.
  7. TMRY

TMRY Forum Resident

Thanks Michael, I didn't doubt you, great specs and review.

8. dave9199

I accidentally bought a DVD player a few days ago from these guys and it doesn't have an HDMI out so I'm going to return it. Is there a player on the linked page you would suggest?

Search results for: 'dvd' | Focus Camera

9. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Of the players available on the page you linked, I think that this one offers you the best bang for the buck for the features that you need. It plays blu-rays and DVDs, and an HDMI cord is included. And is on sale for 20 dollars off right now.

Sony BDP-S1700 Blu-Ray Player, HDMI Cable, Ethernet Cable, Remote, AAA Batteries

Furthermore, because it also includes an ethernet cable, that means that it only has internet available via a wired connection. Many modern players use wireless internet connectivity, and since you are not interested in using internet apps with your player, it will be easier to avoid accidentally connecting it to the internet since it requires you to literally hook it up with a cable.

So, just plug the hdmi cable from the player into the tv and forget about the ethernet and you'll be good to go for your purposes. And it will also upconvert the quality of your DVDs. Whatever you end up deciding, I think it's more prudent to buy a blu-ray player as they also play DVDs and upconvert their picture quality for modern hdtvs.

dave9199 likes this.
  10. dave9199

It seems like a gamble with any of the ones listed according to reviews.. You might get a good one or it might not work good at all.

11. profholt82

profholt82 Resident Blowhard

Well, that's an inherent risk with most modern consumer electronics, they don't make them like they used to. You can peruse the AV forums and see guys having issues with new $1000 UHD players. At least if you're buying new, you'll get a warranty though.

I think the best DVD players of the past 15 years are from Oppo. It's a shame they left the disc player market. If you don't mind going used, you should be able to find their older DVD players on ebay for under $100. That 981 listed up thread is an excellent unit. But obviously buying used has its own share of risk.

12. Might as well buy a 4K-they are backwards comparable, will upsample lower Rez and are cheap right now.

13. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

Kinda off topic, but at my work we have to find an upconverting DVD player because the TVs only handle HDMI but we can't have detachable power chords, which apparently most BD players have, and most DVD players don't.

Michael likes this.
  14. Michael

so what do you need?

15. drpep

drpep Whizzing and pasting and pooting through the day

I always have good luck with players from Lirpa Labs.

16. dave9199

Ended up buying this one but found one on eBay new and for $14 dollars cheaper.

profholt82 likes this.
  17. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

THIS.

a few months ago i went out and got my father one of these .....it was less than $100 in CANADA .... so that should tell you something. if you want HDMI .... get the BD player. which will play DVDs as well.

i even think it was this exact version. (it didn't come w the cables though)

and if you have wifi ... you can stream youtube etc from this player to your tv as well .... party times!

Michael likes this.
  18. GMfan87'

GMfan87' Forum Resident

How about Panasonic ?
    I've always had luck with them, have two of their DVD players that also play Blu-Ray. They are probably 8 years old now but going strong.

19. Michael

the best of both worlds!...I would never just buy a DVD player!
    BD all the way!

20. dave9199

How come?

Michael likes this.
  21. Michael

because I have many BDs and if I did not I'd have a player that's prepared.... the price difference between a DVD & BD player is minimal...another big reason: a BD player upgrades the DVD picture to the best it can be.

dave9199 and polchik like this.
  22. polchik

polchik Forum Resident

dave, if you want HDMI ... i don't think you're gonna get that with a DVD only player ....

dvd resolution does not demand that kind of connection ..... you will get .... either or both .... RCA composite or component (3xRCA) .... connection.

you said you wanted to play dvds via HDMI

HDMI is the simplest connection as well .... one cable for picture and sound. the player that was linked to above (blu-ray - that will also play dvds) is a real economic solution to your issue.

some specs from the DVD only player ....
    Sony DVD Player Progressive Scan

Inputs and Outputs

• Digital audio output(s): Coaxial audio output(s) - 1 (Rear)
    • Analog audio 2ch output(s): 1 (Rear)
    • Component video (Y/Pb/Pr) output(s): 1 (Rear)
    • Composite video output(s): 1 (Rear)

dave9199 likes this.
  23. captainsolo

captainsolo Forum Resident

PS3. Accept no substitute. If you buy the most reliable version, the slim model, and depending on hard drive size they can be had used for $55-70 most places. Easily the best and most reliable player I've ever used. Accepts many formats via usb if desired, makes for a great media hub, perfect DVD and BD playback with very good DVD upscaling.
    Plus you get a console for free. Sony still makes the best standard bd players and to be honest they're not as good for a higher price ($75 and up brand new usually.)

24. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

I agree. I picked a Sony Blue Ray at Walmart for seventy bucks. The DVDs look spectacular. There is no reason to waste one's time and money on a DVD player

polchik and Michael like this.
  25. Michael

Indeed. : )

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.