Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

I dont exactly consider the 6th and the 9th bad (my wrong putting all in the same bag), they are just a little odd and for that reason I tend to consider them a little below standard. The 12th yes, is a little boring, but still got things that I like.

2. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

The 9th first came across as a sort of musical satire to me and is rather humorous, but the slow movement reveals a brooding quality about it, especially when you start digging in deeper. This symphony isn’t all laughs and slapstick. The 6th is kind of odd because of its structure: one long, slow first movement followed by two quicker movements. I still love it and think it was quite inventive of Shostakovich to play around with the idea of symphonic structure. Plus, no one was going to be satisfied with this symphony since it came after the highly and critically acclaimed 5th. I’ll have to revisit the 12th (as I’ve been going through Kondrashin’s cycle), but I do remember it kind of being a lot of crashes and bangs, but that was about it. Like an empty shell of a work.

Åke Bergvall, cdgenarian and Luisboa like this.
  3. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

I like the cover. :)

cdgenarian and bluemooze like this.
  4. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

5. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

Pique Dame?

6. peter1

peter1 Now things are looking up!

This CD of Villa Lobos Solo Guitar Music, wonderfully performed by Fabio Zanon, just arrived. Wow!! Terrific playing and lifelike sound.

[​IMG]

7. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

The main problem with the 12th is the lack of diversity in the musical material, it repeats itself to death, so all the crashes and bangs you refer to bring some enthusiasm to the all thing. Mravinsky is the one who really can uplift this symphony one step higher imo.

cdgenarian likes this.
  8. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Yes. 1952 Bolshoi. Conducted by Melik-Pashaev. In my opinion the best version Although the old recording may not be for everyone but the singers are the greatest here.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    cdgenarian, canzld and crispi like this.
  9. Mirror Image

For me, it doesn’t really matter who conducts the symphony, I still have a difficult time appreciating it.

Thread duty -

Alwyn
    Symphony No. 3
    Violin Concerto

Lydia Mordkovitch, violin
    Hickox
    LSO

[​IMG]

I’ve been basically working my way backwards through Alwyn’s symphonies. Symphony No. 3 is a fascinating symphony in that it’s written in a 12-tone style but the way Alwyn composed it, you would never have guessed it. The Violin Concerto is also a fantastic work. Everything is performed beautifully here by Hickox, Mordkovitch and the LSO.

10. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

11. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

On this gray Tuesday afternoon I'm cleaning some LPs while enjoying this CD "twofer" of Schubert Piano Trios, beautifully performed by Vladimir Ashkenazy (piano), Pinchas Zukerman (violin), and Lynn Harrel (cello).
    Recorded in the Stadthalle, Winterthur (Switzerland) in November 1996. ("Monitored on B & W Loudspeakers"...saith the liner notes.)
    An impulse purchase from Tower Records in 1997 that I've never regretted.

[​IMG]

royzak2000, 6138, Daedalus and 4 others like this.
  12. 6138

6138 Forum Resident

I also have this one and love it too!
    I may be listening to it again today or tomorrow.

cdgenarian and Wes H like this.
  13. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

14. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to CD 2 from "Janacek - Chamber Music / Orchestral Works" on Decca.

String Quartets Nos. 1 & 2 - Gabrieli String Quartet
    Violin Sonata / Dumka / Romance - Kenneth Sillito (violin) and Paul Crossley (piano)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

royzak2000, Luisboa, Daedalus and 4 others like this.
  15. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

George Enescu (1881-1955) was considered (per Wikipedia) to be 'the greatest Romanian musician'.

Pablo Casals described Enescu as "the greatest musical phenomenon since Mozart" and "one of the greatest geniuses of modern music". Yehudi Menuhin, Enescu's most famous pupil, once said about his teacher: "He will remain for me the absoluteness through which I judge others", and "Enescu gave me the light that has guided my entire existence." He also considered Enescu "the most extraordinary human being, the greatest musician and the most formative influence" he had ever experienced. Alfred Cortot, one of the greatest pianists of all time, once said that Enescu, though primarily a violinist, had better piano technique than his own.

So: why so few modern recordings/performances of Enescu's works by the major players of our era? Most of the recordings out there are historical in nature (Mehunin did his mentor full justice, but these recordings come from Menuhin's younger years). The few newer recordings appear to be by artists trying to 'make a mark' with less well-known repertoire.

This was all stirred up for me by seeing a fondly-remembered album jacket, from MY (much-) younger years (below). A beautiful performance of Enescu and others by Eugene Ormandy and the Philadelphia Orchestra, still not transferred to CD/digital as far as I can tell. A pity, too...

[​IMG]

16. Mirror Image

Tippett
    Concerto for Double String Orchestra
    Marriner
    ASMF

[​IMG]

This earlier work from Tippett has always been an endless source of inspiration for me. I seriously could listen to it everyday and never tire of it. There is so much beauty to be found here. The slow movement must be counted as one of the unabashedly heartfelt pieces of music. If any of you haven’t heard Tippett’s Concerto for Double String Orchestra then stop what you’re doing and listen to it ASAP.

royzak2000, bluemooze, canzld and 3 others like this.
  17. layman

layman Forum Resident

You are right. Enescu's music is not as well known (or recorded) as it should be. I know the Roumanian Rhapsody No. 1 from the folllowing albums:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

Many folks have the following recording. It was the first JS Bach Violin Concertos recording purchased by yours truly ...

[​IMG]

bluemooze, vanhooserd, Wes H and 5 others like this.
  19. layman

layman Forum Resident

20. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

My new avatar. Arthur Rubinstein, Eugene Ormandy, Falla, Saint-Saens, and gorgeous 1960's pop-art by Frederic Marvin! What's not to like?

[​IMG]

21. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Wow...white-hot intensity. He's not nearly as mild-mannered as he looks!

[​IMG]

22. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable:
    [​IMG]

23. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: Short, but very sweet.
    [​IMG]

24. cdgenarian

cdgenarian Forum Resident

@canzid alluded to this artist, Lillian Fuchs (1901-95), violist and composer. I found and very much enjoyed this release on Qobuz. The recorded sound is very clear and pleasant.

[​IMG]

25. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

On the turntable: Now stepping back about 200 years....
    [​IMG]