Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Fender Relic

Fender Relic Forum Resident

I went with the 2 you are leaning towards..Gooden's on 45 (when it was cheaper) and Matador 33. I think both sound excellent. Matador is a top ten BN for me.

kt66brooklyn likes this.
  2. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Gooden’s Corner, for me, has the best sound from those four.

I like the music on Solid the best though.

kt66brooklyn, musictoad and recstar24 like this.
  3. Bryce

Bryce I drank what?

Shades of Red is such a grower for me. It’s the one I reach for the most recently.

kt66brooklyn and Rob Zarzecki like this.
  4. timzigs

timzigs Forum Resident

I think all the Green records on MMJ sound great, but if I was forced to choose, I'd go with Gooden's Corner, Solid (I have the SRX), Matador, and Talkin' About in that order. If you really like the the Hammond sound, move Talkin' About up a notch or two.

kt66brooklyn, MisterBritt and scotti like this.
  5. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

forewarning - as I’ve mentioned with Wayne Shorter, I’m a huge Grant Green fan and completist and have all his MM’s, AP’s, and random knick knacks and have very little control in monitoring my bias towards him. I also love spending other people’s money so take this with a grain of salt :)

sonically matador is probably the weirdest (45 here). The bass is virtually non existent, but Grant sounds great, the overall cut though leans towards a warmish, more closed in tonal balance which is weird because it’s lacking bass to boot lol.

The original solid 45 was the only pressing issue I ever had to bother Carol with of all of my MM purchases through MM (currently at 122). I kept it though and she offered me a credit, but the 45 like matador suffers from some overall tonal balance issues. If possible, I find the SRX much preferred.

talkin about is good, but haven’t listened to it in a while. Goodens corner is probably the best sonically of your list but I’m not sure id call it $100 good.

Again, I have them all, but I hope the above helps somewhat.

6. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

All MMJ Grant Green releases are must haves for me, but here would be my order based on personal likes.

Matador
    Gooden's Corner
    Solid
    Talkin' About!

If you don't have "Street Of Dreams" and can find one that's not priced high (not sure what it fetches these days), grab it as it's about as magical of a record I have ever heard! My oldest son got one off of Ebay this past December in a bidding war for only $65.00...and another killer title is "Green Street" which is just one heck of a jam session! I believe the AP 45 of that is still priced decent, but never heard that version, just the MMJ 33 that I have.

edit - will agree that Gooden's Corner is the best sounding one here, but I still think "Matador" sounds fantastic!

7. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

+1 for basically saying what I said in two sentences :laugh:

8. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

I re-sleeve pretty much everything with either Mofi, or QRP or sometimes Sleeve City diskeepers. I expect that the newer, not pink & fuzzy sleeves are probably fine. I just find the Mofi style sleeves easier to use and less prone to generating static.

9. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Listening on youtube, Louis Smith's Smithville is starting to sound really good to these ears.

kt66brooklyn, Jellis77 and Elofan like this.
  10. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I'd order them

1) Goodens Corner
    2) Matador (a different side of Green, as this record blisters, contrasting with a more laid-back vibe of most of his records)
    3) Talkin' About!
    4) Solid!

BUT...Do you have what I think is his best record?

Idle Moments, on 45rpm vinyl by Analogue Productions. THIS is the one I'd go for first! (and before it goes up in price, it's available at $55!)

11. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

I have all these except Leapin and Lopin and thought of that one next. I 100% agree with your "get these now at the price!"

FSS and Evolution at $60 are very good deals.

Last edited: May 19, 2020
    timzigs likes this.
  12. robertawillisjr

robertawillisjr Music Lover

Ha. I resleeve all of my "premium" LPs with MoFi's or Diskeeper sleeves. I save the clear plastic sleeves (or MoFi's if I don't have any of the clear plastic sleeves) for older records that I rarely listen to or not in the best of shape. I toss the red tinged sleeves.

ThirtyThree1/3 likes this.
  13. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

Yes! I do have the AP of Idle Moments and it needs some juice, but when you give it the power it needs, it's close to perfection IMO. It makes me feel like I'm in the basement of a smokey jazz club. Remember jazz clubs and live music?! How i miss those days 3 months ago. Luckily one of my last moments out in public was a jazz club in Miami and they did a great rendition of Footprints.

Thanks for all the help people. It's reiterating basically what i thought would happen. I need to decide if i can splurge of Goodens Corner but I for sure will grab Matador sometime soon.

UchidaT, Crazysteve and scotti like this.
  14. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

You so want that one! As good as Cool Struttin' to my ears, maybe even a bit better. Yes, I think I do like it more.

15. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

I second this. I have all albums that include sonny and leapin is the best to these ears. Love the MM album

Fender Relic, UchidaT and scotti like this.
  16. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I am kinda glad MMJ is out of the 33 LPs I don't have so I don't have to ask you guys what you recommend. Don't want to end up like @scotti! Will blow my budget in a week.:laugh:

Crazysteve and UchidaT like this.
  17. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Very nice! And with that said, I am off to go listen to it right now and with all of the Grant Green chatter, "Green Street" will be next as I want to jam out a bit. Then "Matador" and will see if I notice the lack of bass @recstar24 pointed out since I will now listen for that, or lack there of...

Ron Jones likes this.
  18. Pelts

Pelts Forum Resident

My favorite two are Matador and Solid
    I know this sounds sacrilege but Idle Moments is probably my least fav
    If you want some jamming blues- Matador is pretty great

UchidaT likes this.
  19. UchidaT

UchidaT Forum Resident

Matador is my favorite Grant Green session and the MMJ 33 is one of my most played records, all genres considered. I confess I didn’t know this album when I ordered it from MMJ in 2016, but it seems to fit any occasion, my guests usually enjoy it (I think), and that version of My Favorite Things is always a fun topic of conversation when people are acquainted with Coltrane’s. It helps that the whole band is on fire throughout. I don’t know how the 33 compares to the 45 sonically, but I’m fairly certain this is one copy I’ll never feel the need to upgrade.

I agree, as much as I love Cool Struttin’, I’ve always thought Leapin’ and Lopin’ is Sonny Clark’s best session as a leader.

20. Jellis77

Jellis77 Forum Resident

I totally agree - it’s a great record

21. NorthNY Mark

NorthNY Mark Forum Resident

I think you made absolutely the best choice! Obviously it's about personal preferences, but given that you presumably enjoy some of the more "inside-out" titles, the two you chose are essential, while the others are all very good (I own all but the Gordon and Powell), but none comes even close to the two you chose, IMHO.

UchidaT likes this.
  22. johnt23

johnt23 Forum Resident

Re: Idle Moments. I am very pleased with the MM 33.3. In fact, it soundly beat my NM 70's pressing.
    The AP 45 series is very hit-and-miss for me. I have been impressed by some of the warhorse AP 45 titles (Coltrane BT and Herbie MV), but find others to be wimpy sounding with a very recessed top end. Considering the AP 45 Idle Moments, but am hesitant for this reason.

23. UchidaT

UchidaT Forum Resident

Where were you 24h ago?? I ended up getting two more :laugh:

But seriously, thanks, that’s exactly what I wanted to hear! I’m pretty happy I ended up getting Night Dreamer too. I’m still not entirely convinced by Back to the Tracks, but it comes so highly recommended that I’m sure it’ll click with me in no time. And Tina Brooks is such a grossly underrecorded voice that it’s a privilege to be able to hear him in an MMJ pressing like this one. Unlike, say, someone like Sonny Clark of whom, if I ever were in the mood of listening to (which I often am), I could easily pull out something great from the many sessions in which he participated.

24. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

Regarding Grant Green's Matador and Solid:

That moment after reading about releases not in the collection just when it might be time to wind it down...
    [​IMG]

25. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

This. Every. Damn. Time. :help: