Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

Discussion in 'Coupons, Discounts & Sales' started by lv70smusic, Mar 14, 2014.

1. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

latheofheaven and black sheriff like this.
  2. black sheriff

black sheriff Magic City

3. hutlock

hutlock Forever Breathing

latheofheaven and black sheriff like this.
  4. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

Interesting...I ordered a Steven Wilson LP last week only to get a Kiss reissue...

latheofheaven and dcarwin like this.
  5. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

6. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

7. spencer1

spencer1 Great Western Forum Resident

Not dumping on your post, I come here for this stuff and buy stuff at Amazon all the time BUT ...
    If you order this through an independent record store it comes as a RSD release, includes a print of the cover and lord knows independents really need our help right now.

8. ggergm

ggergm another spring another baseball season

I pre-ordered my copy earlier this week from Plaid Room, my current favorite record store. I did it because they have been good to me lately and promised an indie-only print included with the record but you're also right about record stores needing our support, spencer1.

9. topekatj

topekatj Forum Resident

Have a nice RSD!

10. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

That, and an Amazon order is likely going to mail it in a plastic bag, or just slap a shipping label on the cellophane and send it on its way. I wouldn't take the risk.

But hey, this is an Amazon thread, after all.

11. jimhb

jimhb Forum Resident

12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Likely? Total, complete nonsense.

I've ordered dozens and dozens and dozens of LPs from Amazon and I've never had one come this way - or anything remotely like it. I'm sure it's happened to somebody, somewhere, but "likely" - as in more than a 50% chance? That's just an agenda masquerading as fact.

13. ad180

ad180 Forum Resident

It's happened to me three times, most recently in March:
    Good Deals on amazon.com (part3)

After three attempts, I got a well-shipped copy by paying a little extra for gift wrapping.

But yeah, not a high percentage all things considered.

14. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

There's been many reports of this recently from people at the r/vinyl subReddit. Maybe it's only certain distribution facilities being lazy, but I've heard from enough people who had to return the same order 3 or 4 times to dissuade me from ordering records from Amazon until I hear that it's not happening anymore.

15. Matt I

Matt I Forum Resident

I've had it happen a few times but that is out of hundreds of orders. Sometimes you only hear about the few bad experiences and not the hundreds or even thousands of good experiences. Something about a squeaky wheel getting the grease

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    hype and latheofheaven like this.
  16. popscene

popscene Senior Member

lightbulb and hutlock like this.
  17. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

18. hype

hype Forum Resident

hundreds of thousands of good experiences easily. You always hear about the worst, people never comment when things arrive correctly.

I've also ordered hundreds of records and out of the brand new records i'd say maybe 2-4 weren't packaged well. I will say the Warehouse buys are another ENTIRE different animal and the packaging from there is a complete toss up which i've noticed a decent amount of complaints on reddit were from warehouse buys.

Saying that, amazon is far from perfect and I agree 100% we should all try and support local record stores as much as possible but when there are records 50% or more off i'm going with Amazon every time personally. No reason to over exaggerate though, im sure most people are in similar thinking where they'll support small businesses when they can but they aren't going to pay double or more to do so as that's several less records in the budget and part of the fun of collecting is getting great deals on albums you want.

19. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I've ordered many hundreds of music items from Amazon.

There have been a few doozies--box sets with a shipping label applied to the shrinkwrap and shipped, one case of a record bent to fit in an undersized box--but most of them have been competently shipped.

20. dastinger

dastinger Forum Resident

Same experience here. I haven't ordered as much as a lot of you from Amazon, but I never had issues with packaging. Some times it's even overkill I'd say. And yes, there are people who had issues, but that doesn't make it likely to experience the same. And, like @hype said, people aren't going to go on online forums saying how good their deliveries went. It's like going to a hospital and saying "OMG, the whole world is sick!".

Jrr and latheofheaven like this.
  21. jason202

jason202 Forum Resident

It happens. If you’ve really ordered that many LPs from Amazon and it’s never happened to you, well, then you’re fortunate.

22. Jrr

Jrr Forum Resident

I see this posted all the time and you pretty much wrote what I wanted to. I have ordered vinyl from them often, over 100 easily. Not a single one has not arrived in a nice lp stiff box most other resellers use. I agree with supporting the local store. Lord knows I do, but if I relied on them to bring in the new vinyl I like I would never buy new. I am not going to special order common titles that frankly they should stock (stuff like Taylor Swift’s Lover album, that I ended up getting at Target who had it in stock)! Second, local stores get stuck with defects. Too much is defective and I just don't want to burden my store with it. They actually put it right back out on the shelf at maybe $2 off, obviously hoping the next guy doesn’t return it. I know they need to do it, but I don’t have to like it.

Amazon comes by and picks up defects off my porch. Kinda hard to find anything to fault about Amazon, and when people post negative shipping comments around here I have noticed they seem to be a bit too over the top to always be believable. No doubt some of it is true, on occasion, as every company makes mistakes. But I just don’t buy it that the same people seem to get stuff with just a label simply tacked on the cover. That's an automatic return and come on, they aren’t that stupid. If they were they would have been out of the vinyl biz long ago.

Davidmk5 and latheofheaven like this.
  23. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

I think it's enough to say that indie record stores need the business more than Amazon does, because the shipping quality thing is a whole other bag of worms.

I think it's safe to say that Neil would strongly advocate buying it from a local in lieu of saving like, 4 bucks

24. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

:pineapple: DEAL ALERT!

Arctic Monkeys - AM (vinyl): $10.99
    https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00DKY4NBA

I'm very pleased with my copy of this. I wish it would have been this cheap when I bought it.

25. psulioninks

psulioninks Forum Resident

I would agree with all this with the exception of adding...Neil Young is not in need of that $4 like many other people are.

frogfog and latheofheaven like this.