"Vinyl Me Please" Thread*

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Hogues, Apr 7, 2019.

1. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

Really kicking myself for not buying the Cornell box. Walmart had it for like $70 at one point too.

2. Nitrous

Nitrous Forum Resident

I was considering this Grateful Dead Box Set. Trouble is shipping to UK wipes out the 50 dollar discount.
    Even though I’m a VMP member looks like shipping is only free in US. Bummer.

sparkmeister likes this.
  3. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

4. I got it recently through Walmart for $65 about two weeks ago.

5. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

6. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

That's when I got mine for under $70 from Walmart. I bet if you keep yours eyes open you can probably still score one for $80.

I would be willing to pay a hefty price for this show after owning it

farewelltransmission likes this.
  7. spacecoyote

spacecoyote Astral Resident

Upon closer inspection, my live Dead collection is close to two thousand hours...probably 3TB in storage.

And upon furthur scrutiny, I have realized this box contains every one of my favorite contemporary releases. There’s not an album included that I would substitute for one of the omissions.

8. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

Thank you for the tip. Mission accomplished.

ndoheny likes this.
  9. farewelltransmission

Thx. Will keep an eye out, but given that it's OOP I'm not getting my hopes up at this point. I've set some eBay/Discogs alerts too, so fingers crossed.

10. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

11. If something is hard to get I usually google and click shopping and search listings. Frequently I find things in off beat retail places.

12. farewelltransmission

Juggsnelson likes this.
  13. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I bought one too.. there were 5 this morning. Now only 2 left.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  14. neubian

neubian Forum Resident

I got one, too. Only 1 left!

15. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Nice enjoy it is a heck of a show and a very nice Betty Board recording

16. MikeT

MikeT Prior Forum Cretin and Current Impatient Creep

I just ordered the Dead box from Vinyl Me Please. Even though I don't really need it, have all the latest reissues (MFSL, Rhino, etc) with the exception of "Without a Net", I used one of the $50.00 off codes listed earlier in this thread (S7JT39) - so I went for it.

I am interested in hearing these, especially if they are new AAA (again with the exception of Without A Net) cuts by Bellman.

Juggsnelson likes this.
  17. Dignan2000

Dignan2000 Forum Resident

Wanted to post a few impressions of this month’s Classics LP of the month, Erroll Garner’s “Magician.”

My expectations were somewhat low due to this being the first non-AAA “Classics” ROM in about a year, my own limited exposure to Erroll Garner’s LPs, and “Magician” being the artist’s last album. Got to say, this album is knocking me out. Really impressed by Erroll Garner, his playing is fantastic and a little bit funky. Bob Cranshaw provides excellent support throughout as well, alternating between electric and acoustic bass.

I expected the covers to be ho-hum affairs at best, but Garner takes several of these in surprising directions - “Someone To Watch Over Me” is a favorite so far.

Pressing by Furnace is flawless, first new dead-center pressing I can recall receiving in quite a while and most of my new vinyl lately has been Tone Poet, Music Matters, and BN80 records pressed at RTI or Optimal. John Gioia’s liner notes (in the “listening booklet”) are solid. Plangent processing is very good and has me thinking I need to check out the recent live Grateful Dead vinyl releases (obligatory GD reference!).

I’d put this in the upper tier of VMP Classics from about the last year or so, the best being “Call Me” and last month’s “The Immortal Otis Redding.”

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

18. Bloom

Bloom You're embarrassing me in front of the wizards

Sometimes VMP and Storf in particular have terrible communication points. So many people were focusing on it being non-AAA but missing the other side of it that it was Plagent Processed. So yeah I expected it to sound amazing even with the digital step.

19. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Sold out now! (Sorry Canada, my fault)

20. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Thanks for the review - I might add a track and swap for this next month...

Dignan2000 likes this.
  21. jazon

jazon A fight between the blue you once knew

I wish I knew amazon.ca had it sooner, 2 weeks ago it was $81!

22. capesq

capesq Well-Known Member

Sold out for now, but I’m also hoping that it comes back. I just streamed it this afternoon and was really impressed as well.

23. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

agree on all points!

the "classics" line continues to be the main reason for my membership. these releases have been serious.

recstar24 and Dignan2000 like this.
  24. bajaed

bajaed Forum Resident

Being lazy here but on the other hand 46 pages is a long thread.

What available VMP releases are amazing sonically? Audiophile recordings?

Juggsnelson likes this.
  25. Admerr

Admerr Forum Resident

Ugh. The search continues. I ordered one from my local B&N only to get a cancellation cause it’s no longer in stock.