Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. royzak2000

royzak2000 Senior Member

2. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I've heard more superficially dramatic performances, but he plays beautifully, matched by the stunningly realist sound (DSD 256 download--the same as the master recording.) By the way, SACDs are limited to DSD 64...I just recently discovered that tidbit. For those of you unfamiliar with the DSD numbering, the digits refer to the multiples of CD resolution. Hence, DSD 64 has 64 times the resolution of a standard CD and so on up to 512.

[​IMG]

bluemooze, canzld, cdgenarian and 2 others like this.
  3. coopmv

coopmv Newton 1/30/2001 - 8/31/2011

I have Elgar Dream of Gerontius in the following 2 boxes ...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

bluemooze and royzak2000 like this.
  4. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

5. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

Not really. Where did you see that?
    Here's a more responsible analysis:
    Though you can’t make a direct comparison between the resolution of DSD and PCM, various experts have tried. One estimate
    is that a 1-bit 2.8224MHz DSD64 SACD has similar resolution to a 20-bit 96KHz PCM. Another estimate is that a 1-bit 2.8224MHz
    DSD64 SACD is equal to 20-bit 141.12KHz PCM or 24-bit 117.6KHz PCM.

In other words a DSD64 SACD has higher resolution than a 16-bit 44.1KHz Red Book CD, roughly the same resolution as 24-bit
    96KHz PCM recording, and not as much resolution as a 24-bit 192KHz PCM recording.
    In other words, DSD64 is roughly twice the resolution of a CD.

bluemooze likes this.
  6. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

I can't quote a source--I read it too long ago. I guess I should have used "sampling rate" rather than "resolution." Would that make you happier? I'll just stick to posting covers without commentary.

7. sherrill50

sherrill50 Well-adapted Melomaniac

Sorry to ask this, @Klavier, but might you post a link to this Shostakovich/Kondrashin Symphonies set on Qobuz? I've searched high and low on Qobuz and can't find it. Qobuz's search engine is not the best; I also tried using Google to search for it with the site:qubuz.com argument. This search found it, but Qobuz came back with a 404 error. Klavier, your profile shows "U.S.", as am I, so I don't think this is a licensing issue, but perhaps they've pulled the set?

cdgenarian likes this.
  8. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Oh man, I got that 404 message now, too, when I clicked on it in my Favorites list. I guess they pulled it. I'm not a happy camper.

Last edited: May 20, 2020
    sherrill50 and cdgenarian like this.
  9. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Glad I have the physical copy :) That's one of the problems I have with those streaming services, they pull items...

no.nine, bluemooze, Daedalus and 3 others like this.
  10. sherrill50

Sorry, but thanks for checking!

cdgenarian likes this.
  11. Mirror Image

Weinberg
    Piano Quintet, Op. 18
    Yulianna Avdeeva (piano)
    Kremerata Baltica (chamber ensemble)
    Gidon Kremer

[​IMG]

bluemooze, canzld and cdgenarian like this.
  12. sherrill50

Now streaming (from my hard drive!)

[​IMG]

royzak2000, bluemooze, Wes H and 6 others like this.
  13. Mirror Image

Holst
    The Planets, Op. 32
    Mehta
    LA Phil.

[​IMG]

14. sherrill50

I like your signature line, @Mirror Image :

“When a man is in despair, it means he still believes in something.” - Dmitri Shostakovich

Here's the comeback:

"A man's got to believe in something. And I believe I'll have another drink." - W.C. Fields

:p

CMT, peter1, cdgenarian and 3 others like this.
  15. Mirror Image

:D I’ll drink to that!

16. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I'm back to work this week and it looks like I'm missing some interesting discussions and seeing what everyone is listening to. Right now I'm limited to early mornings here.

bluemooze likes this.
  17. ToddBD

ToddBD Forum Resident

On the turntable...fabulous.

[​IMG]

18. layman

layman Forum Resident

1st Listen (More from the Tower Records Japan SACD series):
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    It's a Hair-Raising "Rite" (I hope my neighbors don't call the police)...really spectacular...brutal...infernal...one of the best I have heard (my previous favorite was Solti's)...the woodwinds, brass and drums are breathtaking!

The Nutcracker suite makes me want to get up and dance...it sounds really delightful and is a lovely contrast to the "Rite."

The concluding "Romeo and Juliet" Fantasy Overture is as impassioned an account as I have yet heard.

Everything sounds sharp and crisp (but also warm and authentic to the concert hall)...like listening to a master-tape, which is what it is essentially.

19. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

By coincidence- at the top of my 'to be cleaned before playing' pile .
    [​IMG]

Edit: Just noticed the jacket price tag is still attached as I took out the record
    [​IMG]

bluemooze, cdgenarian, Wes H and 4 others like this.
  20. Kal Rubinson

Kal Rubinson Senior Member

OK.

21. Mirror Image

I also own this and I heartily agree!

NP:

Holst
    Suites Nos. 1 & 2 for Military Band
    The Band Of The Royal Air Force Germany
    Central Band of the Royal Air Force
    Imogen Holst

From this fantastic set:

[​IMG]

It seems the ‘one-hit wonder’ status has certainly affected Holst and his own legacy much to the dismay of the composer who died at the age of 59 (he died in 1934 --- the same year as Elgar and Delius). The composer was thankful for the success of The Planets of course, but he mentioned he thought it overshadowed his other music. His favorite work of his was actually Egdon Heath. I think if listeners looked deeper into Holst’s oeuvre, they would realize that The Planets wasn’t really like anything else he composed and there are plenty of other works that are individualistic and worth exploring. Of course, I’m certainly not saying The Planets shouldn’t be listened to and enjoyed, because I love the work, but there are many other masterpieces to hear like The Hymn of Jesus or the Choral Symphony for example.

peter1, ToddBD, royzak2000 and 4 others like this.
  22. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

I have a Testament CD with this recording as well as his 1951 mono recording of the Rite with the same orchestra. I also have another Testament CD with the Tchaikovsky recordings. It's been a long time since I played those but I think I'll spin them soon.

Daedalus, cdgenarian, crispi and 2 others like this.
  23. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

I listened to all the Op. 59 quartets after seeing all your enthusiasm for them, boy they are good! They certainly don't leave any stone of drama or dynamic contrast left unturned that is for sure :D I look forward to hearing them play the super dynamic Harp Quartet tomorrow, I'm leaning towards picking this up.

I do hope they'll play somewhere in New England/NYC when this Covid-19 stuff clears up.

My listening for the last few months- mostly 20c music from Boulez, Schoenberg, Webern, etc after picking up some Boulez releases/boxes to fill out my collection. And this last week's heavy listening Takemitsu's piano music (Roger Woodward), chamber music and symphonies.

24. hvbias

hvbias Midrange magic

Is it the disc you pictured that HP liked?

I have a friend that met him at an RMAF years ago, he said he was a warm man with an infectious love for music/hifi.

cdgenarian likes this.
  25. Klavier

Klavier Forum Resident

Hey, welcome back! Yes, that's quite a set. I suppose the Quartteo Italiano is an "easier" listening experience...but sometimes that isn't enough!

cdgenarian and hvbias like this.