Grateful Dead Dave's Picks 2020 Subscriptions

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by mgb70, Oct 29, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Albert Hille

Albert Hille Active Member

Funny how most comments are on the monetary collectable value of the plastic. Not on the actual music. Maybe we’re getting old and too many of you weren’t there.

2. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I finally got around to ripping CD 1 from DaP 34 and it's as I remember, but in better quality. That's one rippin' Jack Straw; Jerry's solo is brief but completely on point. A high point of the first set. And if the band was surprised by Let it Rock, Phil doesn't show it. In fact, he sets up a typically nebulous ostinato where the 1 is somewhere, but ya gotta figure out where. He seems ripe for the game and while it's no world-beater, it's a groovy departure from some of the typical first set stuff of the era. It doesn't take long for the whole band to pick up on the groove. Jerry knows the lyrics inside and out. Was this in the JGB set at this point?

3. mike s in nyc

mike s in nyc Forum Resident

that's a good question, and why the GD didn't do that song again (instead of so many others that were done a thousand times) is another good one :)

phil is an interesting bass player indeed - in any other band, that 'not defining the 'one', etc would be fatal, but somehow in the GD he makes it work. Are there any JGB shows with phil on bass, i wonder, and can you really hear a huge change in the music?

Matthew Tate and Archtop like this.
  4. Archtop

Archtop Soft Dead Crimson Cow

I think Phil may have played on one or two JGB shows, but I may be mistaken. My thoughts on John Kahn are well-documented, but to save you reading for a year to catch up, I find him to be extremely "boxy." The antithesis of Phil, really. But Jerry obviously wanted the JGB to be a more "standard" approach to classic tunes of his preference, so Kahn works in that context. He's also really solid in Old & in the Way. Phil even acknowledged that when Jerry told him that he was going to be the bass player in Jerry's band (in 1965), Jerry had no idea what he was in for. And we're all better for it!

As to why they never did Let it Rock ever again, that logic is lost to history. They even did Rock and Roll Pneumonia and the Boogie-Woogie Flu twice at the end of the E'72 tour. And neither of those are anywhere near as good as Let it Rock from 6/23/74.

Matthew Tate, bzfgt and mike s in nyc like this.
  5. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

A question I have for you guys- Do the stand alone Dave's Picks sell out in a hurry? Im assuming having a subscription means you're guaranteed to get the release.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  6. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

From where are you getting that vibe? People are complaining about the content and availability (as they do every time a DP is released). I haven’t read much of anything about “monetary collectible value of the plastic”.

Freebird and bzfgt like this.
  7. trd

trd Forum Resident

6/24-25-26/1981

I don’t think the first night circulates but the other two do. They released the second set of 6/26 as a download through Jerry’s site some years back. There may be others.

8. I333I

I333I Forum Resident

Yes, when they offer the standalone DP’s they usually sell out quickly (though not as quickly lately since they upped the numbers). You buy a subscription for $100 (put it on PayPal credit) and you are guaranteed 4 shows and a bonus cd.

wlove2372, Matthew Tate and Oliver like this.
  9. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Thanks. Thats not a bad deal considering most shows are at least 3 cds.

Matthew Tate and Instant Dharma like this.
  10. dtuck90

dtuck90 Forum Resident

Update on my tracking shows that it finally left an airport in LA last night, it’s been stuck there since 1st May

US Blues likes this.
  11. Coltrane42

Coltrane42 Well-Known Member

You are not alone. Received the same email notification last night. It's finally on it's way! The long wait.

dtuck90 likes this.
  12. d3adf1sh

d3adf1sh Forum Resident

lol that tracking number says the same thing mine said when they sent me my ship notice on apr 29 for dave's 34. and i'm still waiting. called twice and emailed and NOTHING not even an email back. Had to file a paypal claim before it gets too late. Heck they won't even respond to Paypal's resolution center. Guess they don't care. I'm still sticking to my theory that one of their wharehouse guys took a bunch of the packages and selling the stuff on ebay. If something fishy wasn't going on wouldn't they at least email me/us something?

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. d3adf1sh

d3adf1sh Forum Resident

Oh yeah so if you want a deal on WD50 cd and live in USA, order from amazon.ca (canada) comes out to, after shipping 37.34 from canada or 44.58 from us amazon or 43 from dead.net but at this point your gambling w/ dead.net.

You know in this day and age of torrenting and piracy, they would take all the cd/album customers they could get. Especially when prob a lot of them buy some of that overpriced merch they're peddling when placing orders.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    Matthew Tate and superstar19 like this.
  14. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I think there are literally 2 people who do the Customer Service work and they stopped caring a long time ago.

Matthew Tate and d3adf1sh like this.
  15. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Correction. Was from the Chicago half of that release 8/23/71. Also includes a smoking O1>MAMU>O1. Great pick overall if you haven’t heard.

16. londonflash

londonflash Forum Resident

I love reading your posts, Duffy. East Croydon rules! I worked in an office for many years (until last year) on Dingwall Road, a couple of minutes from the Bedford.

budwhite and US Blues like this.
  17. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

usually less than 30 hours. every daves is 3 cd's. only the spring release is 4 cd's and the 4th is a bonus for subscribers only.

Oliver likes this.
  18. Oliver

Oliver Bourbon Infused

Ok thanks.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  19. Freebird

Freebird Was 205 pounds, now 215.

Do you read the post on this thread?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. AlienRendel

AlienRendel Senior Member

I went to a P-Funk show once and the people in the lawnchairs were yelling at other attendees for dancing.

giantleech and budwhite like this.
  21. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

There was a hilarious SNL skit about this once but I've never found it online. It was a Van Morrison concert, but it was the same idea, with people yelling at someone who was standing up and dancing because they wanted to sit.

22. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

That said, doing this in real life, at a P-Funk concert, is beyond the pale.

23. seaisletim

seaisletim Forum Resident

I got into a physical confrontation at a Trombone Shorty concert bc the two couples behind us wanted to sit even after the performer was imploring people to get up and dance.

We all got thrown out

24. a sound painter

a sound painter The no drama drumma

Number 3709 has finally landed up here in Canada! Never heard this show before, but can't wait to dive in. The bonus disc alone looks to be worth the price of admission. This might also be the lowest number I've ever gotten, and I see no scratches or QC issues to speak of.

Now back to your conversation about dancing and fighting, though I prefer dance fighting (or fight dancing) a la West Side Story.

Crispy Rob, budwhite, bliss44 and 5 others like this.
  25. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

Why I think Uncle Jam himself shoulda stepped off the stage to funk some respect back into those people. No dancing at a P-Funk show. What's next? No mint juleps at the Derby? No hot dogs at a ballgame?

AlienRendel and US Blues like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.