The Grateful Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by JRM, Apr 11, 2014.

1. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

In other words, great tune.

2. bzfgt

bzfgt The Grand High Exalted Mystic Ruler

Yea yea yea!!! I love everything about it.

adamos and US Blues like this.
  3. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

4. Jerfan13

Jerfan13 Makes wrinkles advertised as creases

He’d riff on the spot though and sometimes come up with good stuff. One of my favorites:

“Stoke the fires of paradise with coals from Hell’s own hearth”

5. KeninDC

KeninDC Hazy Cosmic Jive

IWT. Danny couldn't handle the shrooms (super strong), so we picked him up like a battering ram and took him to the exit, telling him to chill at the car. Danny's first and last show.

6. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

A show deserving of it's reputation. High grade stuff throughout recorded in multitrack splendor!! The DVD/BluRay is also not to be missed.

I think you captured what I love about this show. REALLY excellent performances throughout this set.

Only two knocks...Bobby steering Jerry into El Paso instead of Morning Few coming out if Dark Star. And the possibly valid opinion that the show is over praised due to the quality and availability of the tapes.

7. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I just noticed Grateful Dawg is now on Amazon Prime Video. I have never seen that film before.

8. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

One of the annoying things about Dead concerts. A song like El Paso turning up on literally dozens and dozens of live tapes. I feel the same way about a couple of 70s era originals with uninteresting choruses that wear thin from over exposure.

SBegonias17 and frightwigwam like this.
  9. unravelled

unravelled Forum Resident

Awesome movie!! My first ever non GD experience. The musical and personal interactions between Jerry and David Grisman are genuinely moving and it's obvious they had a deep respect for one another.

budwhite and ianuaditis like this.
  10. Frosst

Frosst Vinyl-obsessive kiddo

Just checked out 10/16/88 (Bayfront Center). This show is excellent. Great versions of Mississippi Half-Step, Foolish Heart, Looks Like Rain, Terrapin Station, The Wheel, Never Trust A Woman and All Along The Watchtower among others. Jerry's vocals are in top-form and his playing is superb. From start to finish the boys are on fire!

Earlier today I revisited 6/4/70 (Fillmore West). One of the best shows of the year. The China > Rider is terrific, amazing Hard To Handle and my absolute fave New Minglewood Blues are some of the highlights. One of the better Attics Of My Life is also present here and the Casey Jones that opens the show are just unbelievable. Such a good show, especially the Matrix copy that I listened to.

Mansley, budwhite, adamos and 5 others like this.
  11. ratstack

ratstack Forum Resident

I bought the DVD probably 15 years ago. I haven’t watched it in a long time but I remember enjoying it. Not sure where it is at the moment, and I did see it pop up on prime and added it to my watch list. I’ll be rewatching this weekend.

12. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I'm not crazy about Bluegrass music - but I do like the sound of banjos.

ianuaditis and wavethatflag like this.
  13. jmadad

jmadad Forum Resident

does anyone have torrent program recommendation to best take advantage of LL? I searched the forum and didn't see anything specific, just some how-to's, etc. Thanks

wavethatflag likes this.
  14. posnera

posnera Forum Resident

I've used Transmission for years.

15. GuidedByJonO)))

GuidedByJonO))) Forum Resident

"Mexicali Blues" is the overplayed song that bugs me the most. It's not a bad song, but I still get embarrassed when I'm playing it around other people and the "just fourteen" line comes up. Even for the early seventies that had to be creepy. And it's not like it had to fit some rhyme scheme, I feel like "of seventeen" would still fit the meter and get the point across.

And, yeah, I'm well aware of it being written in the voice of a character, it's still creepy and makes me cringe.

peskypesky, US Blues and frightwigwam like this.
  16. CowboyBill

CowboyBill Forum Resident

Are 'Vinyl me Please' considered good pressings? I remember my friend bought a My Morning Jacket LP from them and it sounded like poo. I gotta say the colored vinyl turns me off. Without a Net looks hideous. I guess I just like my vinyl black.

wavethatflag likes this.
  17. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I hope they're good pressings, at that price. Sheesh.

18. GuidedByJonO)))

I've never bought nor heard any Vinyl Me Please albums, but I've always gotten a big "my first Crosley, I'm excited to get into vinyl" vibe off of them. And I gotta say, a seemingly random collection of Dead records in colored vinyl doesn't really do a lot to disabuse me of this notion.

Not knocking the idea of people getting into vinyl through VMP at all, folks gotta start somewhere, but it always seemed like neophytes were their target audience.

19. giantleech

giantleech Lord of all fevers and plagues

Like my coffee, my women (hey-o!) and my liquorice.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
    notesofachord likes this.
  20. giantleech

The name "Vinyl Me, Please" as the name of a record label. :hurlleft:

21. wavethatflag

wavethatflag God is love, but get it in writing.

Goes great with a six pack of Beer Me!

edit: It costs out to $44.90 per vinyl plus tax and shipping.

22. GuidedByJonO)))

Hey, at least it's not Gimme Vinyls.

Crispy Rob and wavethatflag like this.
  23. giantleech

Especially these vinyl box sets that include different colored (or worse, multi-colored) pressings for each included LP. Just give me well mastered and well pressed black vinyl LPs, not some childish and preposterous novelty set that looks like a bag of Skittles.

trd and CowboyBill like this.
  24. trd

trd Forum Resident

Mmmm Skittles...

notesofachord and giantleech like this.
  25. Erik B.

Erik B. Fight the Power

The curmudgeonry is strong with this thread today.

people must be getting stir crazy

notesofachord, acetboy and uzn007 like this.