The Archies - Sugar Sugar Original 1969 Music Video

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Raylinds, May 18, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

2. Raylinds

Raylinds Resident Lake Surfer Thread Starter

The Archies first hit was Bang-Shang-A-Lang along with the Bubble Gum Dance.

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  3. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

It’s just artistic shorthand for a hair style without a clean ending.

4. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

Even as a kid I felt like Filmation had some of the cheapest, worst animation on the market. They reused bits over and over again. They really had contempt for kids, thinking we must be really stupid.

They even replaced the Archies’s heads with the The Brady Kids’ heads in the “performance” videos for that insultingly stupid cartoon.

5. rswitzer

rswitzer Forum Resident

I read recently that John Prine was a huge Archies comics fan!

6. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

7. Solitaire1

Solitaire1 Carpenters Fan

That's not unusual. In My Little Pony - Friendship Is Magic many of the characters have one voice actor for the speaking voice, and another when singing. For me, a slightly humorous credit is the singing voice for Twilight Sparkle, Rebecca Shoichet, is also the speaking voice for her opponent Sunset Shimmer. Pinkie Pie and Rarity also have a split speaking/singing voice actor credits.

Also, in Hey There, It's Yogi Bear they have Daws Butler as the speaking voice of Yogi Bear but James Darren does his singing. BooBoo makes a comment about how Yogi sounds just like James Darren.

Bob Hastings was the voice of Superboy in the 1960s Filmation The Adventures Of Superboy series, and Commissioner Gordon on Batman - The Animated Series.

I agree that Filmation animation wasn't that great, it was basically functional. It wasn't just that they reused footage within the same show (other studios did that too) but they used the same character poses in just about every series they did. As an example, just about every character when facing the camera faces it in the same direction (about 45 degrees to the right or left). I think that you could take the characters from one series, put them in another, and the motions would be exactly the same.

Filmation had potential. They did an animated movie, Pinocchio And The Emperor Of The Night, that showed they could do much better animation. The movie had none of the cookie cutter style of the TV series. As as example, there's one scene in that movie that is much more disturbing than the Donkey Transformation Scene in Disney's Pinocchio (go to 2:36 for the relevant part):

sharedon and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  8. MarkTheShark

MarkTheShark Senior Member

I always wanted the crew of the Filmation animated Star Trek to break into a song once an episode. A Tribble could "conduct" the band like Hot Dog. I think Captain Kirk has to be in Reggie's spot. I can't see either Spock or McCoy swaying back and forth and grinning like that.

9. Exotiki

Exotiki The Future Ain’t What It Use To Be

While I agree Filmations shows were definitely very... “efficient”. I still respect them for what they were to the American animation scene. As they were one of the last fully functioning and self contained American TV Animation Studios in a time when everything was being shipped off the Korea and Taiwan. Their positive impact on state side animation for TV was very important.

10. Solitaire1

One of Filmation's major disadvantages is that most of their shows were based on licensed properties, with very few original programs. This included the following: Archie (in its various forms), My Favorite Martians, The Brady Kids, and Star Trek. This created some issues for them.

As an example, I mentioned in another post in another thread that they had a show called Hero High that was originally going to feature the Archie characters as superheroes (in the comics they had done this). But due to Filmation losing the license to use the Archie characters they retooled the show to feature other characters in their place (you can tell who was likely going to be who). They made the show a combination of live-action and animation, with the voice actors for the characters appearing in costume during the live-action segments.

11. Raylinds

While I don't disagree with most of your post, the part that I bolded is really a stretch.

MikaelaArsenault and Exotiki like this.
  12. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

God, that's insufferable. The crappy cover version and the not funny visual joke that should be presented in 5 seconds extended over two minutes. If this is what the show was like, I am glad I am unfamiliar with it.

13. Paul Gase

Paul Gase Everything is cheaper than it looks.

I suppose. I guess I was different as I became enchanted with animation at a very early age, mostly through the Max Fleischer era Popeye cartoons. I was obsessed with them watching them every chance I could. So The Archies cut corner style of animation offended me, even as a kid. I suppose most didn’t care. I did. I was a nerd that way.

14. xdawg

xdawg in labyrinths of coral caves

Must see TV for me back then as a 7 year old. Thanks for posting!

15. I prefer this version:

16. Paul C

Paul C Forum Resident

Legend has it that Toni Wine, the female voice heard on “Sugar, Sugar”, was paid a flat fee for her work. When you add up all the singles and compilation albums on which the song has appeared worldwide, the song has sold over 20 million copies. Toni Wine supposedly made less than $200.

Steve Litos and MikaelaArsenault like this.
  17. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

18. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

With Tony Orlando at the beginning. :)

19. JohnO

JohnO Senior Member

Yep. Ron Dante and Toni Wine were studio singers, sort of singers on the edge of the Wrecking Crew, and Tony Orlando also was at the same time from the late 1950s into the 1970s until Tony finally hit with Dawn. Tony originally was uncredited with Dawn, which originally was just studio singers/musicians like the Archies! Ron and Tony were producers too.

20. a customer

a customer Forum Resident

One of their 10 best songs . They should have been called Archie and the archies

21. dirwuf

dirwuf Misplaced Chicagoan

So this is canon?

22. Rocker

Rocker Senior Member

Uhhh, you're several posts too late...

Shawn likes this.
  23. Raylinds

You were just a young animation aficionado. It seems you were as much, if not more, into the art of the cartoons, while most kids were just into the stories and characters. I noticed a difference in quality, but overlooked it. To be honest, I was never a huge fan of the Archie show itself and was more into the music.

Probably the worst animation was Clutch Cargo. When characters spoke, the superimposed real lips talking onto the characters face. It was kind of creepy.

geo50000, Exotiki and Steve Litos like this.
  24. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Explain to me again why Sabrina was never clapped in irons, and hanged as a witch. :confused:
    (also, was this video where Steven King got the idea for "Carrie"?)

25. Solitaire1

I was an animation fan from an early age too, and the Fleischer Brothers black and white Popeye cartoons were something I looked forward to every Sunday Morning (one of my local TV stations would run a 90 minute block of Popeye cartoons, mixing cartoons from various studios (Fleischer, Famous, and King Features). As far as animation quality goes, the King Features Popeye cartoons made Filmation cartoons look vastly better by comparison (I actively avoided the King Features Popeye cartoons).

Dan C and Paul Gase like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.