The Jazz Beat

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ken_McAlinden, Apr 27, 2015.

1. jbg

jbg Senior Member

2. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Now listening to Dizzy Reece's album Blues in Trinity (Blue Note Connoisseur CD, 1995; mastered by Larry Walsh). Recorded in London, England on August 24, 1958 with Dizzy Reece and Donald Byrd (trumpets), Tubby Hayes (tenor saxophone), Terry Shannon (piano), Lloyd Thompson (bass) and Art Taylor (drums).

[​IMG]

3. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Followed by Dizzy Reece's Star Bright album (Toshiba/Blue Note Works TOCJ-4023, Japan CD, 1993). Recorded in NJ on November 19, 1959 with Dizzy Reece (trumpet), Hank Mobley (tenor saxophone), Wynton Kelly (piano), Paul Chambers (bass) and Art Taylor (drums).

[​IMG]

4. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

Return To Forever, Hamburg Germany 9/15/72. Corea/Farrell/Airto/Clarke, great sounds great music.

frightwigwam and Cactus Bob like this.
  5. Ken E.

Ken E. Senior Member

There is an explosion of new live unrecorded Jazz coming from European collectors on various sites. Many are from digital radio broadcasts which I believe are broadcast in higher bit rates than MP3.

6. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

jbg, Glenn coates, Erik B. and 3 others like this.
  7. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Friday Freddie!

Red Clay gets the plaudits (and arguably, quite rightly so) but I prefer this one . . .

[​IMG]
    1970/2014 Pure Pleasure Records ‎– CTI PPAN 6007, CTI Records ‎– CTI 6007

funknik, jbg, Erik B. and 2 others like this.
  8. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

Friday Freddie #2!

“We’re so sorry, Uncle Albert” . . .

Rounding off a trilogy of CTI classics, which began with Red Clay and continued through Straight Life (Sky Dive is also great), comes Hubbard’s Grammy Award-winning, and arguably most popular record . . .

[​IMG]
    1971/2017 Pure Pleasure Records – PPANCTI6013, CTI Records ‎– CTI 6013

9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

I've seen this posted a couple of times on the forum and I just got another Cal Tjader album that I really like so I was going to jump on buying one of these SACDs of this however, I'm glad I checked Discogs while looking for this version to see I have another version under a different title and song arrangement.

[​IMG]
    Stan Getz ‎– Stan Getz With Cal Tjader
    Label:
    JVC ‎– JVCXR-0218-2
    Series:
    XRCD2
    Format:
    CD, Album, Reissue, Remastered
    US
    Released:
    Genre:
    Jazz, Latin
    Style:
    Samba, Latin Jazz

I guess I will have to put this on after I finish listening to The Byrds Untitled MFSL that I just put on

Erik B. likes this.
  10. Electric

Electric The Medium is the Massage

Because of your post I am giving the SACD a spin right now. Now I remember why I don't play this more often and why I haven't bought any of her releases since this once. I just find this release to be so pretentious with pseudo intellectual nonsense, musically and lyrically. I have everything she released before this and have seen her in concert. She's just not for me anymore, I guess?

11. Tim 2

Tim 2 MORE MUSIC PLEASE

I've been off and on her music in general for years. For me, I think it's more of a mood thing.

12. Electric

Can't complain about the sound quality, though.

Tim 2 likes this.
  13. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

That's too bad but it happens to me with some artists as well. I love all the MFSL SACD albums a lot but I'm so so with the later albums I have.

14. [​IMG]

Jazz in Paris | MODERN JAZZ on the left bank (EmArcy/Universal)

3CDs in a sturdy box, all with individual cardboard sleeves - small booklet with recording details included.

CD 1 (1958)
    JAZZ SUR SEINE - BARNEY WILEN
    with Milt Jackson, Percy Heath, Kenny Clarke & Gana M'Bow

CD 2 (1955)
    MODERN JAZZ AU CLUB SAINT-GERMAIN - BOBBY JASPAR
    with Rene Urteger, Sacha Distel, Benoit Quersin & Jean-Louis Viale

CD 3 (1955)
    CHET BAKER QUARTET PLAYS STANDARDS
    with Gerard Gustin, Jimmy Bond & Bert Dahlander

These discs are all so good. I couldn't resist listening to them all back to back. The music is superb, as is the sound quality. This box is a great way to pick up 3 very cool CDs in one go - only problem is the box may now be deleted.

JazzcornerND and Berthold like this.
  15. Electric

At least with someone like David Byrne, and Patricia Barber, their earlier releases at least, mostly knew how to rein in the jam-packed cleverness. Verse just tries way too hard, IMO.

16. fingerpoppin

fingerpoppin Senior Member

Ike Quebec - Heavy Soul
    Ike Quebec, tenor sax; Freddie Roach, organ; Milt Hinton, bass; Al Harewood, drums.

[​IMG]

jbg, caio vaz, JazzFanatic and 9 others like this.
  17. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

In anticipation of the Desmond Mosaic (assuming I will get it eventually).
    [​IMG]

jbg, caio vaz, JazzcornerND and 7 others like this.
  18. ciderglider

ciderglider Forum Resident

Never come across this before, despite being an admirer of Hank Mobley. Will have to investigate.

macdaddysinfo and Glenn coates like this.
  19. Cactus Bob

Cactus Bob << Desert Rat >>

Fusion Friday . . .

Miles Davis ~ Big Fun
    Columbia, 1974

Sessions recorded between 1969 and 1972

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

jbg, caio vaz, macdaddysinfo and 7 others like this.
  20. [​IMG]

Presenting Lee Morgan indeed! - LEE MORGAN (Blue Note) CD - 2007 RVG remaster
    with
    Alto Saxophone –
    Clarence Sharpe
    Double Bass – Wilbur Ware
    Drums – Philly Joe Jones
    Piano – Horace Silver
    Trumpet – Lee Morgan

Originally Recorded on November 4, 1956 at the Van Gelder Studio, Hackensack, New Jersey and issued on LP with the title PRESENTING LEE MORGAN. CD transfers from analog to digital made at 24-bit resolution.
    Tracks 1-6 originally issued in 1956 as Blue Note BLP 1538. The one bonus track '- an alternate take of 'Little T' was originally issued in 1995 on Mosaic MQ4-162

Last edited: May 23, 2020
    jbg, Berthold, caio vaz and 6 others like this.
  21. SJR

SJR Big Boss Man

22. [​IMG]

Moon Beams - The Bill Evans Trio (Riverside/OJC) CD - 1990 remaster / aka Moonbeams
    with
    Bass – Chuck Israels
    Drums – Paul Motian
    Piano – Bill Evans

Remastered By [Digital Remastering] – Phil De Lancie. Recording for Sound Makers, Inc., New York City 1962

23. jbg

jbg Senior Member

24. Scope J

Scope J Senior Member