Single best TV show. (One show only) That you have ever seen.

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by thestereofan, May 16, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

I was wrong about the "detailed answer" part, unless that's another scene, but this is just as good!

2. SamS

SamS Forum Legend

For drama - Breaking Bad Season 4 series finale “Face Off”. Just whoaaa.

For comedy. UGH. Gotta be an episode of Seinfeld, but I dunno which one to pick.

Thomas D likes this.
  3. Lisa the iconoclast.

4. If we counted it,
    I'd pick Playhouse 90's Requiem For A Heavyweight, aired on Oct. 11, 1956, starring Jack Palance, with Keenan Wynn, Ed Wynn and Kim Hunter.

If that doesn't count (i.e. a series episode is wanted), I'd have to do more thinking,
    though actually........The Jar from The Alfred Hitchock Hour might be my pick.

5. socorro

socorro Forum Resident

Could be any of dozens, but the one that came immediately to mind is Home, an episode of X Files. I generally don't like horror films, and X Files isn't in my top 20 favorite series, but this episode was unbelievably disturbing and absolutely riveting.

Home (The X-Files) - Wikipedia

6. HaileyMcComet

HaileyMcComet Forum Resident

[​IMG]
    Agnes Moorehead
    The Invaders
    written by Richard Matheson
    season 2, episode 15

This is one of the out of the way places, the unvisited places, bleak, wasted, dying. This is a farmhouse, handmade, crude. A house without electricity or gas. A house untouched by progress. This is the woman who lives in the house. A woman who's been alone for many years. A strong, simple woman whose only problem up until this moment has been that of acquiring enough food to eat. A woman about to face terror, which is even now coming at her, from the Twilight Zone.

7. Doctor Worm

Doctor Worm Romans 6:23

"Home" is definitely a great X-Files episode, though my vote would probably go to the season one finale "The Erlenmeyer Flask." Spooky, tense, brilliant, and shocking all within 45 minutes.

8. Blastproof

Blastproof Senior Member

Star Trek - The Doomsday Machine. Spooky and conceptual. The music carries the whole story. Those forlorn horns that make the USS Constellation theme..! Plus, William Windom acts his head off.

9. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Yes... William Shatner met his match here in the over-the-top department.

Blastproof likes this.
  10. Frittenköter

Frittenköter Forum Resident

The Midnight Sun - The Twilight Zone maybe?

11. beccabear67

beccabear67 Musical omnivore.

For comedy there was a Car 54 Where Are You where they are taking care of a superior officer's parrot. Funniest single episode of anything I ever saw! The Taxi about the curse where the girl guide knocks at the door was a close second. Also WKRP had one where Loni Anderson moves to a new neighborhood, though most people prefer that big turkey drop episode. :laugh:

The Outer Limits with criminals faces on ants scared me most when I was little! :yikes:
    [​IMG]

Steve Litos likes this.
  12. pig bodine

pig bodine God’s Consolation Prize

The Russian satellite takeover of SCTV

misterjones likes this.
  13. johnsiddique

johnsiddique Forum Resident

Northern Exposure - excluding the insanity that was the final season where the characters all became strange pawn to bad writing and direction... if you ignore the last season it’s (to me at least) everything I ever desired from a tv show... introduced me to do much poetry and ideas as well...

14. Panther

Panther Forum Resident

One that really stands out to me is a December 1985 episode of The Cosby Show called "Denise's Friend". I saw the episode (I think) when I was a kid, but I encountered it many years later in adulthood (I actually showed it to a class I taught years ago, for reason I won't go into).

The plot is extremely simple: Daughter Denise tells Cliff, her doctor-father, that her high-school female friend has a personal problem and wants to talk to him without her own parents knowing. Cliff agrees, but then instructs the friend that she needs to tell her parents about it, as the issue relates to her sexual activity with her boyfriend (which, of course, her parents don't know about). We learn later that the girl had a basic infection that Dr. Huxtable easily dealt with. Cliff and his wife (Claire), concerned that their own kids might be keeping things from them, decide to hold a family meeting to tell their kids to be open with them and feel safe in trusting them with any personal problems they might have. This is a really funny scene, as the parents are deadly serious and want the kids to be the same, but the Huxtable kids are united in wanting the meeting to be over with as fast as possible.

There are a lot of things I love about this episode, and it's done in a very classy and tasteful way, but it's also a lot of fun.

johnsiddique likes this.
  15. Wildest cat from montana

Wildest cat from montana Humble Reader

Hysterical. What a great show !

16. misterjones

misterjones Smarter than the average bear.

Could be the best extended SCTV skit (and show).

17. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

It's impossible for me to narrow-down the entire span of Jon Stewart's residence with The Daily Show to one episode; there are just too many real, raw and sublime moments where one young comedian deftly turns our expectations of a late-night comedy program based on current events around on our national consciousness.

But, the night he had CNBC financial clown Jim Cramer on-set, and showed him to his (and our) face how he had misled the public with his intentional abrogation of "advice" ("roll 212"), and let him stew in his own juices in front of an audience...was cathartic. It wasn't because he "got him", but because he helped us understand why "getting him" was critical. That's one helluva heavy lift for a talk show host in any circumstance.

When I see today the cartoon-bobblehead show that airs in his absence...I weep for America. Comedy Central has truly lost something precious, and valuable.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  18. hyntsonsvmse

hyntsonsvmse Nick Beal

One episode only
    Rainy day women. A BBC production set in ww2.
    Never before or since has a show convey the terror, paranoia and Suspicion surrounding the potential German invasion.
    I have managed to get a copy off YouTube
    It's unforgettable
    I sadly have to cheat (again) because it's a tie with another BBC production called Shadowlands. Forget the Hopkins version as the BBC original with Joss Ackland and Claire Bloom is simply breathtaking. This original version totally destroys the movie version
    It's impossible not to be moved by this production.
    This one is also totally unforgettable.

Last edited: May 21, 2020
  19. jlocke08

jlocke08 Forum Resident

Wiseguy-No One Gets Out Of Here Alive-the late great Ray Sharkey and an unforgettable use of a Moody Blues track

altaeria likes this.
  20. thestereofan

thestereofan Senior Member Thread Starter

Andy Griffith Show - Man in a Hurry.

21. forthlin

forthlin Member Chris & Vickie Cyber Support Team

Along with "Citizen's Arrest"

I recall thinking that the finale of St. Elsewhere was mind blowing but I haven't seen it since it aired, not sure if it holds up.

PonceDeLeroy likes this.
  22. Damiano54

Damiano54 Senior Member

After I posted "Fun Girls" from Andy Griffith Show

I remembered the episode "My Fair Ernest T. Bass"

"How do you do, Miz-ziss WAH-lee?"

23. RayS

RayS A Little Bit Older and a Little Bit Slower

I learned my boundaries from Ernest T.
    Atlantic, Pacific, Old Man Kelsey’s Woods, Old Man Kelsey’s Creek

24. Sneaky Pete

Sneaky Pete Flat the 5 and That’s No Jive

Lots of my favorites have been mentioned on the thread. It’s truly impossible to answer but the Black Adder — The Spanish Infanta, episode is right up there.

The Fall and Rise of Reginald Perrin, and Fawlty Towers both win for highest sustained level of quality for the entire duration of a series.

25. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

There are a lot of possibilities, and tomorrow I could probably come up with a bunch more. But one that comes to mind as peak TV is S1E19 of ER, "Love's Labor Lost".

Great drama.

HaileyMcComet likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.