Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

if I may...speak like a child is absolutely beautiful and elegant in the way herbie arranges, very colorful and the album evokes that French impressionistic vibe musically which is a delight. The master tapes are kaput, so any copy you can get is worth it. An OG is very reasonable priced because this is already late enough in BN where they were already bought out by Liberty, I was able to procure an OG liberty for like $20 from my local last year pretty easily.

The MM though is breathtaking! Albeit for a lot of scratch...

NorthNY Mark, mikeyt and TheoJ like this.
  2. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Well, you just sold me on another one. My new list of titles I want now is getting a bit out of control, and you are partly, no largely to blame for this...ha! Because I am as innocent as they come here, at least that's what I keep telling myself.

recstar24 likes this.
  3. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

That is a good point. I am certainly allowing my deck to hold me back, but it's really me who's holding me back. The Rega TT-PSU will be a complete game changer in not having to fully upgrade the TT. This forum consistently is proven to be invaluable. I can't thank everyone enough. in this case, the wallet will take less of a hit for the 45 than the secondary market 33MM. Matador 45 might be back on!

recstar24, Admerr and scotti like this.
  4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Keep in mind when I say I upgraded my TT, I was referring to the tonearm cable and cartridge only (as I did that to get better sound), the speed control is standard.

ThirtyThree1/3 likes this.
  5. GreatTone

GreatTone Forum Resident

I got the Music Hall Cruise Control 2.0 years ago for my Ariston RD11s -- works great. I really like how you can adjust the speed precisely, because most belt drive turntables don't spin exactly at speed, even if their stability is great. My Ariston runs fast, so I used a test tone to calibrate it with the box. Mine runs exactly when I set it to 33.0/44.6. My turntable runs quieter with the box as well.

recstar24 and ThirtyThree1/3 like this.
  6. wgb113

wgb113 Forum Resident

Well there goes another $100...you guys suck!

Gil Melle and Tina Brooks are on their way!

Dignan2000, AnalogJ, timzigs and 8 others like this.
  7. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Please send you good wife to over here and educate mine; she had another jazz meltdown today :help:

joshm2286, Dignan2000, IanL and 2 others like this.
  8. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

To say I'm a very fortunate guy would be putting it mildly. She has about 90 percent the same taste in music as me, and I have been known to love some pretty out there stuff.

Well I just got back from my local store with my son's Funk In France and my copy of Alone Together, but I'm in a big time Jackie McLean mood, so back to the land of MMJ 45's...I do have the Tone Poet of "Clubhouse" ready to cue up first though.

Happy holiday weekend everybody and hope you and your families/friends have a great one!

Dmann201, IanL, GreatTone and 2 others like this.
  9. gov

gov Forum Resident

It’s sonny’s show but the boys in his rhythm section kick ass too

[​IMG]

10. ThirtyThree1/3

ThirtyThree1/3 Forum Resident

Are there out of stock titles under the 'Shop 33' tab that weren't there before?

11. Subagent

Subagent down the rabbit hole, they argue over esoterica

Hard to tell. It still looks like a long list with a bunch of stuff I should have bought when I could have.;)

12. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

PSA - Horace Silver's Stylings of Silver is back in stock for $40.

mackeyse likes this.
  13. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Haha, literally just received my copy today from the classifieds ad for $55, on the table now. Oh well! Definitely worth it at $40!

Also Kenny Dorham Cafe Bohemia is down to $55 now! And Horace Silver and the Jazz Messengers is back in stock (but still at $125...)

14. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

that's right, that was you. I know somebody else posted they wanted Stylings of Silver too so i hope they see the message or got the e-mail alert.

15. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

Thanks for the heads up! Just grabbed one with the intention of only spending $40.

$317 later... :help:

16. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Thank you! I just snagged a copy.

17. TheIncredibleHoke

TheIncredibleHoke Dachshund Dog Dad

Well, you had to get to free shipping...

18. biggysteve

biggysteve Forum Resident

Right? I’d have to be a damn fool to leave $10 on the table. :hide:

19. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

I keep reading how disappointed avid MMers are with the sound of SLAC. No?

20. Tim1954

Tim1954 Forum Resident

No.

recstar24 and mikeyt like this.
  21. Ron Jones

Ron Jones Happiness is a Warm Gun

It’s definitely not one of my favorite Hancock albums but sonically it sounds great.

mikeyt likes this.
  22. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

well there you go :D

mikeyt likes this.
  23. AnalogJ

AnalogJ Hearing In Stereo Since 1959

Not necessarily. That's three. I'll find you three people who think the earth is flat.

I distinctly recall reading from many that Speak Like A Child wasn't one of the best sounding MMs. I'll do a search later and come up with three of you like.

But none of this matters if you really like it yourself. I like Herbie's work. I'd like to get a copy. I notice that one can get an early pressing in the ~$20 range. It's not like some Blue Notes whose originals go for 4 figures.

24. guidedbyvoices

guidedbyvoices Old Dan's Records

Musically I like it a lot, great deal at that price.

25. funknik

funknik He who feels it.

I still hear it with the mono switch on, but it’s far less annoying.