John Lennon song by song album by album thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Snoddywilko, May 4, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Snoddywilko

Snoddywilko Forum Resident Thread Starter

From Wikipedia regarding the writing of Imagine:

“Basic chords for Imagine was written during the Let It Be session. Chords for the bridge part of the Imagine was played by piano during the session.

Lennon finished composing "Imagine" one morning in early 1971, on a Steinwaypiano, in a bedroom at his Tittenhurst Park estate in Ascot, Berkshire, England. Ono watched as he composed the melody, chord structure and almost all the lyrics, nearly completing the song in one brief writing session.”

So John had the chords in early 1969 but didn’t sit down to write the almost complete song until one morning two years later. But there are two different pieces of paper with Johns working versions of the lyrics on, but I’m not sure when they date from.

I wonder if there were any other lyrics tried for the song during those two years? Maybe a different lyric completely. His later working tapes are full of different pieces of music with various lyrics & parts being tried in various combinations.

Actually, that reminds me: I saw a bunch of cool Lennon stuff at an exhibition in Liverpool a couple of years ago, including hand-written lyrics to a bunch of his songs.

how do you post pics on here?

omikron and gja586 like this.
  2. The MEZ

The MEZ Forum Resident

Imagine 5 outta 5

3. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

Power To The People. 4/5. I think it rocks.

Imagine. 5/5. One of his best songs. Take away the music and the lyrics make a great poem.

I am always reminded of this Episode of WKRP in Cincinnati

willwin, jmxw, omikron and 4 others like this.
  4. Tom Daniels

Tom Daniels Forum Resident

Imagine is what it is, for better or worse. Impossible to rate. It is John’s big solo song, and it has staying power. Neil Young okayed it after 9/11. It has hung around. It’s continuing presence and influence alone suggest it deserves a high score.

It has that Beatle feel. It’s hard to believe Paul wasn’t involved. It’s more of a Yesterday or a Let It Be or such than anything else John ever wrote.

It’s beautiful, melodic, idealistic, and aspirational. It’s also cloying, naive, overplayed and a little finger pointy. Although it has persisted in the culture, it hasn’t entirely aged well.

A score? I’ll give it 5/5, but I usually start listening to the album with Crippled Inside. It’s bouncy and has a nice solo.

5. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

Imagine

A masterpiece. A timeless anthem to hope and peace. This is a beautiful composition with powerful melody and words. A signature song. Bravo!!!

Sleeve notes:

Imagine (3:08)
    John Lennon: vocals, piano
    Alan White: drums
    Klaus Voormann: bass
    Flux Fiddlers: orchestral strings
    Written by John Lennon
    Produced by John Lennon & Yoko Ono, and Phil Spector

About the song:

From http://www.johnlennon.com/music/singles/imagine/

‘Imagine’ was the lead single and title track of John’s second solo album. It was written by John & Yoko and released on 11th October 1971 with B-Side ‘It’s So Hard’.

‘The song was originally inspired by Yoko’s book Grapefruit. In it are a lot of pieces saying, “imagine this, imagine that”. Yoko actually helped a lot with the lyrics, but I wasn’t man enough to let her have credit for it. I was still selfish enough and unaware enough to sort of take her contribution without acknowledging it. I was still full of wanting my own space after being in a room with the guys all the time, having to share everything.’

– John Lennon, 1980

Artwork:

[​IMG]

The song:

Imagine (2010 Mix)

oboogie, WilliamWes, omikron and 2 others like this.
  6. Lance LaSalle

Lance LaSalle Prince of Swollen Sinus

I am sick to death of "Imagine" but I can't downrate such an iconic song that at one time, long, long, long ago, meant so much to me. Great melody and timeless, intelligent lyric, tight and spare, not a wasted word.

5/5

7. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Imagine...

Promo Films and official music videos:

There are several promos of the song, basically the same...

Imagine version 1 (Long intro) and version 2 (short intro) are from from the Imagine The Film documentary.

Imagine version 3. This version was released on the 1992 The John Lennon Video Collection.

Imagine version 4. This version was released on 1998 for the promotion of Imagine The Film. It's a conceptual video about the cycle of life.

Imagine version 5. This version was released on the 2003 Lennon Legend: The Very Best of John Lennon (DVD). It's the official music video.

From the booklet:

"A brand new transfer, taken from a first-generation 35mm inter-negative of the original 16mm Imagine film negative. Restored and remastered for the very first time in a stunning new digital transfer. Directed by John & Yoko, this was originally filmed on 22 July 1971, and is now seen with its full original intro sequence."

Imagine version 6. This version was released on the 2003 Lennon Legend: The Very Best of John Lennon (DVD). This is a photo gallery with the instrumental version of the song.

From the booklet:

""Imagine photo gallery"
    • Featuring rare/unseen images
    • Contains previously unreleased instrumental of "Imagine""

Imagine version 7. Ultimate Mix 2018) - 4K REMASTER

oboogie, WilliamWes, omikron and 2 others like this.
  8. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Imagine...

1975 UK Single:

It was released on October 24, 1975 for the promotion of the compilation album Shaved Fish with B-Side ‘Working Class Hero’.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

9. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Imagine...

1981 12" Single:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

10. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Imagine...

1999 CD Single:

The single was released as part of the promotion of the Lennon
    Legend
    album.

Promo CD #1:

[​IMG]

Promo CD #2:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

CD Single:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

oboogie, WilliamWes, Piiijiii and 3 others like this.
  11. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

I think Hey Jude is currently seen as Paul's signature song in the UK. It'll be interesting to see if this is the song the media pick to represent him when he dies - hopefully not for many years yet.

12. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Catching up here:
    Power to the People
    John has fully drifted from smiley face pacifism to hardline agitprop.
    John resurrects an old slogan and gives it new life which subsequently becomes meaningless as its use becomes widespread across the political spectrum.
    Influenced by Red Mole magazine, the underlying current of the track is violent. The exploited must take to the streets.
    The track itself drives with verve, but apart from a catchy and then somewhat annoying chorus, it doesn't really deliver musically in any surprising or novel way.
    I am always happy to skip this track on any of my Lennon compilations.
    Despite this somewhat negative view, the track can still assume fresh relevance, even given its historical context.
    A weak 3/5 for me.

omikron likes this.
  13. Hey Vinyl Man

Hey Vinyl Man Another bloody Yank down under...

"Imagine"...it's been played to death, and even Lennon himself was apparently sick of it when he died. Neil Aspinall had a story about a conversation he had with Lennon in 1979 or 1980 where he was grousing about his extremely expensive lifestyle, and when Aspinall reminded him of his own lyrics - "Imagine no possessions" - Lennon snapped, "It's only a bloody song!"
    It's a bit of a saccharine melody, and Lennon himself came close to agreeing with that when he called it "'Working Class Hero' with sugar on top for conservatives like yourself" ("Yourself" being Paul McCartney, who had made the mistake of telling an interviewer he liked "Imagine" but not some of John's political songs...but really, Sir Paul asked for it if he thought "Imagine" wasn't political!).
    But for all that, it is a monumental achievement that has been striking a chord with listeners worldwide for nearly half a century, and it has provided a great rallying cry for world peace (even if it also brings up some thorny issues about how to achieve it). I don't ever need to hear it again, but it's still got to get a 5/5 from me.

14. Somerset Scholar

Catching up still!:
    Imagine
    Difficult to put new perspective on this track with so many insightful comments by knowledgeable members here.
    To me, the track has a pseudo religious feel following on from Bridge Over Troubled Water and indeed, Let it Be. Its explicit secular message has not stopped it from being a favourite at modern religious events. The church like tenor of this song, being a key feeling.
    Whilst some critics have pointed out the simplicity of the music, it works well and then some. There is a reason the song, despite the criticisms, stands as the key song that John is most remembered for. I remember first hearing the track and having that dumbstruck moment. John was capable of making art that stops one in their tracks. The melding together of components into something fresh and unique.
    As regards performance, I can imagine (no pun intended) the song as a Beatles track. Just on a personal preference note, I wish the vocal was more closely miked and warmer in tone like 'Julia' or 'Look at Me'.
    Overall 5/5

15. Somerset Scholar

I think I will hunt that 12 inch single down. Any comment on SQ?

16. gja586

gja586 Forum Resident

Imagine - This is so hard to rate. I'm not too fussed about the lyrics, as it's generally the music (sound and melody) that really matters to me. Sometimes when I listen the playing sounds a little ponderous, whereas on other occasions it's simply beautiful and fits the song well. The strings possibly do come in a little early, but they're nicely understated and much of the phrasing reminds me of a Mellotron. The piano has the classic early 70s Lennon tone.

The overall sound is maybe a little dull and the song does plod along a little without much variation. For some reason, the whole album has always sounded a little "grey" to me, in contrast to John's albums from Mind Games onwards, which have a greater variety of sounds / instrumentation. Maybe I'm just nitpicking? Whatever, I'll give it 3.5/5. :hide:

17. monsieur murray

monsieur murray Forum Resident

Imagine is Granny Music.

joy stinson, gja586 and Snoddywilko like this.
  18. Somerset Scholar

I suppose if you were let us say 25 years of age in 1971, then you would be 74 today, so is this what you mean?

Snoddywilko likes this.
  19. Snoddywilko

What rating would your nan give it then? ;-)

20. Snoddywilko

21. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Imagine.....5/5
    Johns most iconic post Beatles song..

oboogie, Piiijiii and Snoddywilko like this.
  22. Snoddywilko

Another little bit from John about Imagine:

GAW Jr. likes this.
  23. Orson Swells

Orson Swells Forum Resident

Imagine 5/5. Really like the album sequencing and the juxtaposition with the somewhat different sentiment of Crippled Inside.

24. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Imagine...

1986 Experimental Film.

A correction: Imagine Soundtrack.

The original film is from 1986.

From the description of the video:

1986 IMAGINE - experimental HDTV film, 4:20, music by JOHN LENNON, Rebo/Rybczynski Production

AWARDS

"Silver Lion Award" - Cannes Advertising Film Festival 1987
    "Special Festival Award" - Rio International Film Festival 1987

Piiijiii and The MEZ like this.
  25. Who Cares

Who Cares Forum Resident

More about Imagine...

The impact of the song:

Imagine | Playing For Change | Song Around The World

From video's description:

In the beginning of 2010, the Playing For Change crew began work on a new Song Around the World, John Lennon's "Imagine." It has been an amazing year of production, taking the crew from the favelas of Brazil to the shrines of southern India, from villages in Nepal to the glittering urban landscape of Tokyo and New York, and beyond. This song is the Playing For Change Foundation's gift to the world. The Playing For Change Foundation feels honored to have the blessing and generous support of Yoko Ono as music lovers around the world join together to launch the Power to the People campaign.

The campaign seeks to advance John Lennon's vision of peace by engaging artists and audiences to contribute to music education programs worldwide. Proceeds raised will help build music schools, support teachers and music programs, purchase instruments, and connect schools for cross-cultural learning and conflict resolution across borders. Music IS the power: Power to the People.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Piiijiii likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.