Music Matters Definitive Blue Note 45 RPM and 33 & 1/3 RPM vinyl series (pt7)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by MilesSmiles, Jun 13, 2014.

1. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

False. Nothing in SRX increases dynamics.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
  2. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Ummm...the post you quoted actually says how much I like it. And also that I own an OG with the MM as well. Clearly I’m a fan :p

3. TheoJ

TheoJ Forum Resident

How does an OG compare to MM? I have an OG also but im a huge Herbie fan so debating the MMJ.

4. beyondmiles

beyondmiles Forum Resident

Has anyone been able to compare the AP Whistle Stop vs the MMJ? With the 15% sale getting Whistle Stop to $42.50, wondering if the MMJ is worth the $33 more. Missed the MMJ when it was $65 (which I think I would have justified).

Sneezyachew likes this.
  5. farewelltransmission

farewelltransmission Forum Resident

The copy I received this week might have the clicking your friend described. Here's B2, Each Time I Think Of You. Perhaps it's hard to hear on this recording, but it starts at about 13 seconds:

My copy is not numbered.

I will say that this is the first MMJ 45rpm I've heard and it's incredible. I feels like there's a live band in the room. The drums in particular are so well recorded. Wild.

6. musictoad

musictoad Forum Resident

You're in trouble, just warning you.

When you discover you can invite some of the best jazz musicians to have ever lived into your home to play live right in front of you whenever you want, things can get a little out of control if you're not careful. ;)

7. Sneezyachew

Sneezyachew Forum Resident

No but all the AP’s I’ve grabbed when MMJ hasn’t been an option have been every bit as wonderful imo. I’ve been deliberating which Whistle Stop to pick up as well, and I think it’s going to have to be the 45 at nearly half the cost.

scotti likes this.
  8. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

listening to it as we speak. First off, the cover/pseudo gatefold is excellent and I actually prefer it over the normal MM gatefold with session photos inside/liner notes on back. The back and inside slip of the unipak are full color photos of these two kids playing with each other on a playground. Sound wise, this is later RVG, 1968 recording I believe, and some of these late 60’s RVG’s are extremely well dialed in, the OG is well balanced and herbie’s piano is recorded well. The MM has a little more shimmer on top, has a little more soundstage realism, and less bass thud and more extension, but otherwise they are quite close. The OG plays a little warm, in part because the instrumentation already leans that way, and has that upper bass/lower midrange thump which on this session sounds great and isn’t distracting. The MM is more articulate and detailed overall but truly the OG isn’t too far behind.

if you can find a quality NM for the 20-30$ range, it would be an instant buy and i think you can get away with not bothering with the MM version especially at its current price of $100 retail (unless you are a MM completist such as myself).

9. mackeyse

mackeyse Forum Resident

I've compared the 2 as coincidentally it's the only LP where I have had both versions (I got the AP shockingly cheap on Ebay about a month ago). I lean towards AP in general, so I'm biased, but I liked the AP better. The pressing is flawless and "pops" a bit more on the AP. The jacket is cheap which bothers me as the spine is fraying. MMJ has AP beat in the sleeve department

10. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

good to hear. The MM33 whistle stop is a favorite of mine, but I just snagged on the FS forum an AP45 copy with no cover for $18 (has those old school cloudy streak mark which on my TT those AP’s play silently). Excited to check it out.

NorthNY Mark and mikeyt like this.
  11. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I just recently got the MMJ of it and really impressed. Just a fantastic record no doubt! But that is a difference. I'm very happy with my AP 45's, but I do not like the non gatefold covers one bit. But I have been buying many of the MMJ 45's lately and I was glad to get this as a 33.

My next order is now at 10 or so titles and I just added Turrentine's "Look Out!" to my list, with some nice work from Mr. Parlan. On a Stanley Turrentine kick as well lately, seems like on many different kicks when I think about it though. And if anyone is a fan of "That's Where It's At", the upcoming Tone Poet of this one sounds sweet as can be and highly recommended.

Well you just talked me into getting the MMJ of "Speak Like A Child" yesterday and I'm not about to change my mind. It's too good of a record! My new MMJ goal is to have 90 titles by late Summer. It might be a bit of a stretch, but I would rather aim high than shoot low (sorry "Yes" if I botched your song title) all though that is a pretty cool song.

12. Nice, thanks for that. I’ve been going back and forth on this one from MMJ, but it’s just not a $100 album for me. Unfortunately, an original is hard to find in that price range (at least currently on Discogs), but I just snagged a 70s Van Gelder stamped VG++ copy on Discogs so we will see how it turns out.

recstar24 and scotti like this.
  13. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

Man, what is up with those streak marks? In the shape of a square, right? Like something from the cover rubbed the inner sleeve the wrong way.

14. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

Does the Music Matters Speak Like a Child have the typical gatefold, or is it the trifold like the original and BN75?

15. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

who knows brother. A couple of my AP BN’s have them - leeway, hub cap, etc. I read speculation that it was issues with the sleeves but I wouldn’t put too much into it. My AT ML cart plays through the streaks with no noise so I’m not overly concerned on my incoming AP whistle stop.

NorthNY Mark likes this.
  16. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Typical MM style gatefold, not at all like the original, which I believe the official term they used was called a unipak.

mcrichley likes this.
  17. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I don’t think you’ll regret it :) it’s clearly the definitive version of that record, the overall lyricism and romantic quality of the session comes out amazingly well on the MM. that’s definitely a record I’m sure you’re wife will enjoy with you :righton:

NorthNY Mark and scotti like this.
  18. dminches

dminches Forum Resident

OG?

19. mcrichley

mcrichley Forum Resident

I really dislike that packaging, thinking of paying $100 for Speak Like A Child so I don't have to deal with it

20. Gabe Walters

Gabe Walters Forum Resident

I wonder if it's the glue used on those crappy sleeves. I have a few that are falling apart because the glue hasn't kept the cover together. Maybe some gas from the glue caused the marks?

21. Cervelo

Cervelo Forum Resident

I have a 70's blue label Van Gelder that sounds surprisingly good, I think you will be happy. I have picked up a few of these blue labels over the years to fill some holes and as 33RPM companions to the MM 45's. There was a time when these seemed to be all over the place at decent prices, not so much any more. They can be hit or miss. Happenings is one I would recommend seeking out.

recstar24 likes this.
  22. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

I bought three copies at the same time of the AP "Midnight Blue a couple of years back (was giving two as gifts to my sons) and all three had fallen apart. Crappy sleeves says it all. Of course AS took care of the issue as they always do.

joshm2286 likes this.
  23. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

I can only speak for us chicagoland folk, but typically in our neck of the woods OG basically means "original", which I think if you look closer at the etymology of the word, is short for "Original Gangster", because you know, Chicago, Al Capone, Gangsters, etc.

I've always used the term OG to represent something original, or someone/something that is "straight up old school". For example, the old timers that frequent my local starbucks, we refer to them as the "OG's", because they are basically a bunch of old dudes that get together for coffee talk every morning.

24. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

Yeah, my unipak has seen better days thats for sure. I wish MM did their gatefold but with the original photography of the two kids on the back and inside cover, which I'm sure wasn't feasible as it may fall under different licensing then Cuscuna's mosaic images.

DeRosa likes this.
  25. recstar24

recstar24 Senior Member

The marks themselves do appear to have that kind of gas emission quality to it, so I'm pretty sure you're on the mark or at least pretty close to guessing why so many of those AP BN's have that streak issue.