Talking Heads "The Name Of The Band is Talking Heads" opinions?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Exitmusic, Apr 14, 2019.

1. applejam101

applejam101 Humble Fan

There is no known studio version of A Clean Break. Only the live versions on TNOTBITH and a different live version on Bonus and Outtakes (Download only) have been released.

2. Lewisboogie

Lewisboogie “Bob Robert”

OK, I understood that — I thought you were talking about a track on the album but missing from the CD. Sorry. Carry on.

applejam101 likes this.
  3. npc145

npc145 music junkie

I had bad seats for one of the 2 shows that I saw on the Stop Making Sense Tour. :winkgrin:

4. Hightops

Hightops Forum Resident

Ha-hah! Loser.

Geee! likes this.
  5. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

I assume it was an issue of the running time. CD2 of the TNOTBITH reissue clocks in at just under 78 minutes. The intro adds about 1:10 to the entire song on the original LP/cassette. That could work but 79+ minutes is pushing it for a commercial CD.

As another poster has noted, you can hear a version of "Crosseyed and Painless" with the long intro on Stop Making Sense, but that's obviously taken from another show/tour vs. the TNOTBITH version.

dee, Lewisboogie and applejam101 like this.
  6. pobbard

pobbard Still buying CDs

Semi-OT, but many years ago I had a cassette someone made me of the audio from the original Laserdisc release of Stop Making Sense, with "Cities", "Big Business", and "I Zimbra" still mixed-in to the running order. Maybe it's time to borrow a Laserdisc player and see if I can create a new (lossless) version for myself - a good self-quarantine project?

7. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

8. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

Chris's initials are in the dead wax of the EU version...

Beaker73 likes this.
  9. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

cheers for that! Does it sound good?

10. swedgin

swedgin Forum Resident

I love it but have nothing to compare it with.... I dont have my profile filled so will refrain from commenting further on the sound and let someone else chime in.

Beaker73 likes this.
  11. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Oh well, ordered it already from my local. CB in the deadwax is a thumbs up for me ;)

swedgin likes this.
  12. It sounds very similar to the original vinyl to my ears. The reproduction of the artwork is inferior but the pressing and quality of the vinyl I received was quite nice. Mine was also pretty quiet.

Beaker73 and swedgin like this.
  13. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

That’s good to hear! It’s hard to find original US pressings here in Europe. Shame about the artwork, but in the end it’s about the music, so I can live with that. Can’t wait to pick it up next week.

14. numer9

numer9 Beatles Apologist

I like it because I'm in the crowd on side 4

15. Beaker73

Beaker73 Forum Resident

Got my copy of the EU reissue this afternoon, spinning it now. It sounds darn good. Never heard the album before, so not comparing it with anything. But this cut sounds really good and the pressing is quality, too. Not a click or crackle and the records are flat.
    And the music is great! Glad I got this!

16. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

Count me in as one of those who struggles with the appalling mastering of the double CD, boy is it way too loud and compressed. It's so bad that I can only get through 3 or 4 songs in one sitting, which is a shame because the additional performances are quite simply superb.

The vinyl is most definitely the way to go if you appreciate good sound quality and loudness wars style mastering bothers you.

The problem for me with this album now is that I find myself disappointed whichever version I listen to. If I play the vinyl I'm missing out on the fabulous additional performances. On the other hand if I play the CD's, I have to suffer the appalling sound quality and miss out on the gorgeous sound of the vinyl, often giving up the ghost after a few songs anyway.

misterdecibel and Bananas&blow like this.
  17. I only have the vinyl, the 2013 re-issue, so I don't know what songs I'm missing out on. Anyway it's utterly tremendous. One of the best live bands there's ever been, so it was always going to be a shoe-in really. I listened to three sides of it a couple of nights ago, didn't move from my seat.

18. TheSeldomSeenKid

TheSeldomSeenKid Forum Resident

Play the Vinyl(or transfer it to digital to play when not at home) and just only play the Added Songs when you play the Brickwalled 2 CDs Set. Problem maybe not fixed, but partially solved:shrug:.

hodgo likes this.
  19. Ok, no need to show off !
    I suppose Talking Heads and Television would have been a kind of 'ok' double bill.

20. hodgo

hodgo Tea Making Gort (Yorkshire Branch) Staff

I have been considering ripping both the vinyl and CD editions, combining the tracks from each and creating a hybrid version, whether or not it turns out ok is another matter altogether.

dee and TheSeldomSeenKid like this.
  21. npc145

npc145 music junkie

:edthumbs:

22. sheffandy

sheffandy Forum Resident

Just received the red double vinyl Rhino reissue. It sounds fantastic!!!

23. I had the original vinyl and loved the album.It went with the rest of my vinyl collection 30 years ago when I gave up vinyl.
    I was never aware of the expanded 2004 version until I bought the recent Talking Heads Uncut Guide.Ordered it a few days ago and really looking forward to getting into it again after over 30 years away.

sheffandy likes this.
  24. Clonesteak

Clonesteak Forum Resident

I have this version and doing a needle drop and sounding amazing! This will be my first needle drop I over a year. This will be played lots in the car to and from work. :righton:

sheffandy and Lewisboogie like this.
  25. coolsound

coolsound Forum Resident

The expanded Release on CD (DR 7) is totally brickwalled compared to the vinyl (DR 13) . Both sound flat. Why so much compression ?

jay.dee likes this.