Amazon vinyl buying

Discussion in 'Marketplace Discussions' started by Scott McBride, Aug 2, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Scott McBride

Scott McBride Forum Resident Thread Starter

I buy a lot of records, a lot of them thru Amazon. But...I don't have Prime. I can't really tell from the website, so I'll ask here: Does Prime ensure release day delivery? Currently, I receive new releases nearly a week after the actual date. No big bother most of the time, I guess. Also, I've noticed recently a more haphazard means of shipping. Some records are appropriately packaged in a vinyl mailer. Great! Others are just tossed into a bigger box together and left to rattle around on the way to my address. Nothing tragic so far, but certainly there is potential. Discuss.

2. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

3. Cookie!

Cookie! Forum Resident

Yes, Prime does typically ensure release day delivery, as long as you order somewhere around two days prior to that release day. This can be affected, however, by factors such as insufficient on-hand supply. It should state on the product page what the current situation is as far as their stock and availability, when the item will ship, anticipated delivery to your address, what your deadline is to order to ensure release day delivery, etc. Additionally, you should get e-mail notifications letting you know if the situation changes, for better or for worse.

And yes, I have had the same issue you have (along with many others I've noticed) as far as inconsistent vinyl packing. It doesn't seem like you get any special treatment in that department if you have Prime, either.

lightbulb likes this.
  4. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

Same.

5. vinylontubes

vinylontubes Forum Resident

You will get a notification via e-mail if they can provide this service. Prime is now 1 day (if available) so, on a Friday release you'll get it Saturday. If you want the fast delivery Prime is worth it. But since you generally are spending over the free shipping threshold for records YMMV.

6. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

I've had Prime for years, but won't buy vinyl from Amazon, because of the inconsistencies. I expect my vinyl purchases to be sent in an album mailer, and protected sufficiently for their journey.
    I also don't care how easy returns are, as anything past opening my purchase, and putting it on the turntable, to listen to, is more than I care to deal with.
    I can purchase my vinyl online this way, because I have enough other sources that can accomplish this easily.
    Our own members in the classifieds, most sellers on Discogs, Bull Moose, Import CDs, Barnes & Noble, Sundazed, Craig Moerer, Acoustic Sounds, and Music Direct.

Mr. LP Collector, uzn007 and E.Baba like this.
  7. dorium_tres

dorium_tres Forum Resident

I have never had an issue with amazon delivery in regards to time of delivery for new releases or the condition of the records coming in. They usually put them in their own album mailer and then placed in a larger box with air puffies. that's how all of my direct amazon orders have gone, but the amazon partners is a whole other story. I once had one mailed in a box made of like 12 of pieces of cardboard, meticulously taped together which probably took as much time to make as it would have taken to go to the store to buy a proper mailer. amazing.

8. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

my brother works for amazon....I would never buy a record from amazon

9. IbMePdErRoIoAmL

IbMePdErRoIoAmL lazy drunken hillbilly with a heart full of hate

I've been a Prime member for at least 10 years. In my own experience, the "guaranteed 2 day shipping" has fallen off a cliff in the last couple years. I dunno if it's the local post office (I moved about 5 years ago) or the fact that Amazon sells everything to everyone all the time now but, where I used to receive purchases in 2 days, I rarely receive anything in fewer than 3 days now. This includes new releases. Your mileage may vary.

Mister Charlie likes this.
  10. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

uzn007 likes this.
  11. uzn007

uzn007 Watcher of the Skis

I was thinking about posting this article, too; it was the first thing I thought of. OTOH, though, I literally have no idea whether Amazon uses the same distribution system as the indie stores in this thread. They may be f'ed up in their own special way.

12. aperfecttool

aperfecttool Ænimic \m/

I believe it is the same supply chain system that is used by Amazon as well (I read that from one of the senior members on this forum itself but cant find the post now).

uzn007 likes this.
  13. Revolver

Revolver Forum Resident

Amazon does occassionally screw up on preorders. The Beatles mono vinyl preorders being a notable instance where people who bought after release day were receiving theirs well before I got mine.

However, if you're wondering whether Prime is worthwhile...I'll point out that today I got a notification for a Prime vinyl sale and I got some incredible deals. Kinks Village Green 50th vinyl box for $30, Buffalo Springfield vinyl box for $20 and some Neil Young and Rolling Stones live box sets or double albums for under $30.

14. palisantrancho

palisantrancho Forum Resident

I have ordered a few records from Amazon in the past. It's usually packed well in a cardboard record box. I don't like ordering from Amazon and would rather support smaller record shops. However, I ordered a few records from Sundazed almost two weeks ago and they just shipped it! It's gonna be another week until I receive that order. Since I am really wanting a new record I went ahead and ordered a record on Amazon while I wait for my Sundazed order. It was delivered in two days. The record arrived in a plastic bag with no protection whatsoever. How is this possible that they would ship something like this? What level of stupidity is this? Of course the record is damaged. Creases and bends on every corner of the record. Now I have to send it back. It's so convenient! Never again.

Strat-Mangler likes this.
  15. Stereo68

Stereo68 Forum Resident

Slightly off topic, as I don't know about Prime treatment of new releases, but I've had good luck with the few records I've bought via Amazon. Sure, they're often in too big a box, but there're air packs in there to keep the album somewhat stable. I have had one album come with damaged packaging, enough so to expose, bend and crimp one corner of the record jacket. There is no damage to the record. That's not the fault of either Amazon or the third-party vendor. For what it's worth, that one was packed in a record flat. Had the same damage been done to one of the larger Amazon boxes, I doubt the album would've been damaged. Go figure.

16. Gregalor

Gregalor Forum Resident

Shhh, there's people here who are going to say that you're in the extreme minority and that this isn't how Amazon is starting to ship a lot of records now despite a lot of recent reports just like yours. There's no problem, pay no attention to the company behind the curtain.

If I save 2 bucks by purchasing a record from Amazon but I have to keep sending it back until one shows up undamaged, I didn't actually save any money, did it?

Myke and palisantrancho like this.
  17. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

Thankfully never had that issue with Amazon as packing is well done here. However, my main issue has been noisy vinyl or ticks/pops all over the record.

Had to return 3 Fleetwood Mac S/T records to get one that was quiet and without ticks/pops. Same thing for Red and Blue Beatles compilation albums. Of course, that could easily not be Amazon's fault in any way. Who knows?

18. Stereo68

Stereo68 Forum Resident

Picked up a copy of Rumours, not from Amazon, that has a very noisy "Songbird" track. Not only pops and clicks, but also the "Frying" noise that I think is overdriven distortion. There might just be some bad FM records around. Ordered one of the Rumours "Walmart exclusive" versions from Amazon, sourced from an outfit in the UK, and it's good.

19. palisantrancho

I ordered a replacement for the damaged record that was delivered in a plastic sack. The replacement was just delivered with no package. They just left it out on my porch in the sun. I have never had a package delivered that wasn't in a package. It has a few minor creases on the cover, but I'll just keep it and not order records from Amazon anymore. What is there a packing shortage?

20. Stereo68

Stereo68 Forum Resident

That's just weird. Don't blame you for taking your business elsewhere. Did you make a complaint?

palisantrancho likes this.
  21. palisantrancho

The first delivery I complained. I have never had problems before. This was just bizarre.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.