Paul McCartney Flaming Pie Archive Collection Thread

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by jlf, Jan 2, 2020.

1. gswan

gswan Forum Resident

Most of the archive sets (for me) have had at least one fly in the ointment, with Flowers in the dirt, it was was the download
    only songs. With Flaming Pie, I have a queasy feeling it's going to be the single 'B' side songs are still going to in the middle of
    the Oobu Joobu tracks, and cross faded.

2. kevintee

kevintee I’d rather be listening to McCartney

I hope not, especially since it appears that we may get some of Oobu Joobu as part of the set.

Lewisboogie and Oyster Boy like this.
  3. maccawings

maccawings Senior Member

except that Friday is New Years Day which would not have any releases

4. millertek

millertek Well-Known Member

So they are going to spend an Archive Collection release with 5cds of Flaming Pie stuff? why not release multiple items in 2020 with maybe 1 or 2 cds of extras? London Town, Back to the Egg, Press to Play, etc...to get the series going again? I understand these releases probably involve hefty monetary investments - but making more releases with affordable extras might be more worth it...eh?

5. 5th-beatle

5th-beatle Forum Resident

Since the Egypt Station suitcase included an exclusive vinyl (but not exclusive songs), my bet is the super deluxe Flaming Pie will include an exclusive vinyl with a few songs on one side (songs also available on CD outside the super deluxe set) and the other side will be etched with the flaming pie logo.

6. For the Record

For the Record Forum Resident

An etched Flaming Pie in the deadwax that makes a hologram when you shine a light on it would be cool. Like what they did with the Star Wars The Force Awakens soundtrack.

Skip to 1:43 to see it.

7. Max Wilbury

Max Wilbury Berlin Beetle

Indeed. :wave:

8. TimeandTempo

TimeandTempo Forum Resident

So what time did the last few sets go on sale? If today is the day, what time should we be looking out for?

9. Carl80

Carl80 Forum Resident

Week today possibly which is the 8 week date mentioned for previous releases, Nothing today I don't think.

10. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

50 days before the release date is the more-typical time line for previous Archive sets. So if the set is released on July 24, look for an announcement around June 5th.

11. bward

bward Senior Member

That’s dangerously close to my birthday.
    Keep the credit card away from me!

andrewskyDE and Wingsfan2012 like this.
  12. mrjinks

mrjinks Optimistically Challenged

And that IS my birthday!

I’ll expect elaborate gifts from all who’ve posted in this thread. :waiting:

forthlin, longdist01, bward and 2 others like this.
  13. Brian from Canada

Brian from Canada Forum Resident

Which means in two weeks, hopefully we'll see some of those in the know start to be able to offer more hints.
    In the meantime, we should focus on staying healthy and hoping for a return to normalcy soon. (Not happening here but hopefully soon for everyone else.)

14. Arnold Grove

Slow and steady, like the tortoise did, wins the race!

[​IMG] ;)

supermd, longdist01 and Lovich like this.
  15. Arnold Grove

Are these elaborate enough?

[​IMG] ;)

16. Arnold Grove

In that case, send the card to me. I will keep it in a secure spot so that you cannot use it.

Now what do I need? Hmmm.... :whistle:

longdist01 and bward like this.
  17. graystoke

graystoke Forum Resident

I picked up a few of these when they came out and they've been my go to picks ever since. Still use them to this day. Perfect thickness and feel for me. :thumbsup:

18. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

The only positive in this whole mess the last 2 months is that other than food and the occasional CD or Blu-Ray, my credit cards have taken a breather, so bring on the "Big Pie Box"!

omikron, Oyster Boy, bward and 2 others like this.
  19. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Same for me; and it's certainly helped working from home and not having to buy fuel for travel!

I'll be very interested to see what "Big Pie Box" (BPP) contains, but I'll need to consider the contents carefully before hitting the 'buy' button.

The Egypt Station travellers suitcase was an easy pass for me, so if BPP is similar to that in terms of content, I'll probably pass.

20. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

As much as I do love the Archive editions, considering we are 10 years down the line and are still missing reissues of some albums, what I wish they had done was release 2 CD versions of each album from the start, to get them all reissued.

Tord, supermd, Wingsfan2012 and 2 others like this.
  21. Wingsfan2012

Wingsfan2012 Forum Resident

Sure, and as one who for each has bought the separate 2 CD set as well as the box, that would have been fine with me!

AppleCorp3, Oyster Boy and jl151080 like this.
  22. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Out of interest, why did you decide to buy the 2 CD versions and the box sets? Just to have in the collection?

23. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

I have bought both as well. My reason is to have a copy of the albums on my ‘day shelves‘ without having to get the full box out, which I only do to look at them and play any extras that they contain and very occasionally for the DVDs.
    Must admit though, referring to your original post, it surprises me that an artist of Paul’s stature has had quite a lot of his back catalogue technically out of print for years now, so getting them out ten years ago would have made sense in that respect too.

24. jl151080

jl151080 Senior Member

Ok, I can understand that. I store all the discs from my sets in separate slimline cases so that I don't have to go to the boxes to dig them out each time I want to play them.

That's something that's always surprised and baffled me too - I can't think of another example where a major artist has embarked upon such a lengthy reissue programme, letting their catalogue go out of print in the meantime.

I suppose there is the argument that all the albums are available online on Spotify etc, but then the question arises if you take that stance, why bother doing physical reissues at all?

Tord and Oyster Boy like this.
  25. Oyster Boy

Oyster Boy Forum Resident

Totally agree.

jl151080 likes this.