Tenet - Jul 17-2020 - Christopher Nolan (2024 IMAX reissue on pp. 31-32)*

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Deuce66, May 22, 2019.

1. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

2. mBen989

mBen989 Senior Member

You know, the idea of a backwards universe was original...when Red Dwarf did it.

3. BeatleJWOL

BeatleJWOL Carnival of Light enjoyer... IF I HAD ONE

You mean when Star Trek the Animated Series did it. :D

Oatsdad and mBen989 like this.
  4. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

The studios are desperately hoping that Tenet will be the first movie "event" that brings people back to theaters since the pandemic started...

WB Reportedly Deciding The Release Date Fate Of ‘Tenet’ This Week As Theaters Hope Nolan Can Save Them

Christopher Nolan Will Have ‘Tenet’ Ready to Open July 17 — Unless Theaters Are Closed

Is ‘Tenet’ Still Opening On July 17 In This Coronavirus Climate? – Deadline

I'm crazy and I'm willing to go into a theater to see it provided there's nobody else within 10 feet of me.

Doc Diego, lahtbp and bherbert like this.
  5. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

Would you go if masks are mandatory and capacity limited to 25%?

Chris DeVoe and Ghostworld like this.
  6. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

Same. It’s a Nolan film. It’s an event.

7. Vidiot

Vidiot Now in 4K HDR!

Sure, if I can get a seat.

Ghostworld and Deuce66 like this.
  8. CraigBic

CraigBic Forum Resident

It would be tricky to drink my Coke but if I could get a good seat at IMAX that might be preferable to me, at the local IMAX theater the seats are pretty close together so I would appreciate the extra space.

Deuce66 likes this.
  9. GregM

GregM The expanding man

If it gets good reviews I may go see it, but not if I have to wear a mask. I went shopping yesterday and the frikkin mask fogs up my glasses. I couldn't see two feet in front of me let alone across a movie theater.

pdenny, enro99 and unclefred like this.
  10. Daryl M

Daryl M Senior Member

John David Washington - I'll admit - has come a long way since he was on the
    St. Louis Rams' practice squad. Good for him!

11. PhilBorder

PhilBorder Senior Member

IDK, that trailer seems like a melange of every other recent sci-fi movie. I appreciate Nolan's ambitions - when he connects, the results are great. But I thought the harder Interstellar tried to be profound the dumber it got.

12. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

At this point, I'd pay to see "Freddie Got Fingered" in IMAX 3D to get out of the house.

lahtbp, Chris DeVoe, TheVU and 2 others like this.
  13. Bruce Racket

Bruce Racket Forum Resident

I'll go see this in July if theaters are open. A Nolan flick that looks this interesting is worth a trip to the theater.

enro99 likes this.
  14. johnnyyen

johnnyyen Senior Member

It’s a film I want to see, but I think I’ll still be reluctant to visit a cinema in July, if indeed the release date goes ahead.

15. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

16. Brenald79

Brenald79 Forum Resident

I’ll definitely pay $20 to stream this.

alexpop likes this.
  17. Deuce66

Deuce66 Senior Member Thread Starter

WB has pushed the release two weeks to July 31.

18. bherbert

bherbert Forum Resident

I’m pumped for this film. It looks epic. The music is amazing. The fight scenes look amazing. The premise is amazing.

19. lahtbp

lahtbp Forum Resident

I thought the first trailer was amazing. It really created a sense of confusion and foreboding. The second trailer gives us too much info IMO.

unclefred, Ghostworld and enro99 like this.
  20. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

That's why I haven't and won't watch it. I'm going to see the movie regardless, I'm already sold. Don't want or need to know anymore. I trust Nolan. I don't trust the marketing departments who put previews together to NOT give away too much.

Chris DeVoe and Deuce66 like this.
  21. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yup. I've avoided all the trailers/previews because like you, I'm gonna see it anyway - why learn anything in advance?

It's not always marketing departments, BTW. From what I understand, Robert Zemeckis prefers his movies to have trailers that give away like 80% of the movie!

I remember when I saw "Contact" in 1997 - I already knew the vast majority of the plot because it was all in the trailer! I was stunned at how little movie followed story areas not already made evident by the promos! :sigh:

22. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

I'm sure some directors are like that. But I don't believe Nolan is one of them. I imagine he has enough clout to get to choose what is revealed in a preview, but still, I don't need it. I'm already in. There's no good that can come of me seeing any more.

Since you mentioned Zemeckis, I just went and watched the preview for Castaway - and sure enough it shows a late in the movie scene of Hanks running up and kissing Helen Hunt. That shouldn't have been in there.

enro99 likes this.
  23. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

IIRC, the trailer for "What Lies Beneath" was super-spoiler-filled as well.

I've not gone back to analyze a bunch of Zemeckis trailers, and it's possible he's changed his view over the last 20 years, but at the very least, that run from the mid-90s to the early 00s had trailers that gave away far too much plot info!

I recall an interview where he justified it but can't remember his explanation well enough to relate it...

24. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

I read your post to Vickie and she said "Sorry, not that desperate yet."

25. Ghostworld

Ghostworld Senior Member

It gives the whole time-reverse gimmick away, which may have been inevitable.

alexpop and lahtbp like this.