Nirvana’s Next Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

Just throwing the question out there... what would Nirvana’s next album have sounded like? For that matter, their sound for the rest of the decade. I remember reading back in late ‘92 that Michael Stipe and Kurt were corresponding about a collaboration, and that Kurt was enamored with ‘Automatic For The People’. Based on ‘All Apologies’, I can hear the influence. Still, a part of me wonders if the band might have broken up, or dare I say it... created their own version of Kid A. What do you think?

2. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

He actually does talk briefly in an interview about what his new direction might be. Something about having weird noises or something. I need to find the quote. I believe Do Re Mi was destined to be the Michael Stipe collaboration track, and that it would've been on the album. I can see Grohl getting tracks on the album too, possibly leading to that being that last album.

3. Daniel Johnston would have been there.

4. thnkgreen

I’d like to read that article if you find it

5. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I thought Scott Litt was tapped to possibly be involved

6. thnkgreen

I’m wondering if the new direction might have been more folksy, as Kurt was into Leadbelly...

Sean, peskypesky and john lennonist like this.
  7. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I honestly don’t think there would’ve been another album. I think Kurt would’ve either done a solo record or started a new band. Tension in Nirvana was super high and he seemed to want to totally shift gears

8. thnkgreen

I had never heard of tensions within the band. Interesting....

9. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

I can only see one more Nirvana record, had Kurt lived on.

Then he'd have started a solo career or some other new band. Probably just put out music as Kurt Cobain so he could collaborate with a variety of people. Toured less, Grohl could go off and do his own music, etc.

10. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

I’ve always been curious to find out what film’s score Michael Stipe wanted to collaborate with Cobain on

11. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

You Know You're Right is one of my all time favorite Nirvana tunes - I also really enjoy the production of it which I hear almost as a mixture of In Utero and Nevermind. An album of tunes and production like that would have been killer

12. thnkgreen

I’ve always been disappointed with how Foo Fighters turned out. The first album was a beast, but after that everything is hit or miss. If Nirvana had followed the same path..... bleh.....

13. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

He talks about enjoying that Dave and Krist were chipping in more on the songwriting. That all the pressure wasn't entirely on him. So, I can see him ceding some songwriting space on the album to the other guys. Especially in light of the bum deal the other guys got with the retroactive publishing arrangement.

14. Ghost of Ziggy

Ghost of Ziggy Forum Resident

Doll Parts. I always thought Courtney pinched that.

15. Somerset Scholar

Somerset Scholar Ace of Spades

Foo Fighters...can't see what the fuss is myself.
    But Kurt had something extra. I just cant see Nirvana surviving if Kurt had lived.

thnkgreen and Beamish13 like this.
  16. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

Was it To Die For? Stipe is close friends with director Gus Van Sant, and a huge fan of My Own Private Idaho, Van Sant's masterpiece with River Phoenix in '91. To Die For is Van Sant's dark satire that came out in '95 (with Nicole Kidman and JOAQUIN Phoenix), and would have been in pre-production in '93/'94. Nirvana music would have fit well in it.

Beamish13 likes this.
  17. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

You know, I did think it might’ve been a Van Sant project, hence LAST DAYS. That is a very interesting prospect

ghoulsurgery and beatleroadie like this.
  18. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

19. BDC

BDC Forum Resident

Another Nirvana album was in the cards with "You know you're right" in the can. Beyond that I don't think Kurt was gonna put down the guitar and man a mic with a backing band of hired guns. Had Kurt decided to go in another direction with some acoustic music, IMO it would of been great with his voice and sense of melody.

The Gomper likes this.
  20. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

I wonder if we’ll ever get to hear the demo of “Do Re Mi” with Pat Smear and Eric Erlandson. That feels like the last big Nirvana holy grail that hasn’t leaked

saborlord123, Mackaveli, Sean and 2 others like this.
  21. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

"You Know You're Right" was bracing and would've been a great place to start.

Sean, lbangs and Crimson jon like this.
  22. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

Yes I love the melody of that acoustic demo...tons of potential.
    I would have loved to see nirvana do more songs like something in the way or dumb.

23. ajsmith

ajsmith Senior Member

Here’s one mans projection of what would have gone down.. all the way up to 2050.

24. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

I think the next album would have had more extremes in both directions. *sigh* what could've been...

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  25. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

That and a clean version of the 1993 live performance of “You Know You’re Right”, which I love

ghoulsurgery likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.