Listenin' to Classical Music and Conversation

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by bluemooze, Feb 22, 2017.

1. canzld

canzld Forum Resident

On the turntable
    [​IMG]

2. layman

layman Forum Resident

More "Cuban Danube:"

cdgenarian, yasujiro and bluemooze like this.
  3. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

The 3rd from this set:

[​IMG]

I have to say I never gave much consideration or thought to Glazunov for a number of reasons I’m not going to launch into here, but I have to say I’m finding myself being pleasantly surprised over and over. My dad is a HUGE Glazunov fan and I have to say that right now, I can certainly hear what he hears in the music.

canzld, bluemooze and Daedalus like this.
  4. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Good question!
    Gould wrote some very modern cadenzas for Beethoven's 1st Piano Concerto, and therefore many people believe he wrote the 1st movement cadenza to the Mozart Concerto-- mainly because it sounds so "modern." But, no, it's not his doing. And, of course, Mozart never penned one for it.

The album liner notes make no mention of it, but I recall reading one of Gould's biographers identifying the composer as (drum roll!)... Johann Hummel. I know it seems outrageous that something written by a student of Mozart, and contemporary friend of Beethoven and Schubert, could write a short piano piece that fools many into thinking it's a 20th century work.

I think part of the reason it sounds so modern (and nothing like late-18th or early-19th cent.) is simply the way Gould plays it. He rips into it with such intensity that it comes off a bit like some grandiose contrapuntal piece that Max Reger might have turned out, so it's origins are obscured. (Maybe he was influenced by the Schoenberg recording coming up 4 days later...) At any rate, there you have it. ;)

cdgenarian, peter1, canzld and 3 others like this.
  5. Wes H

Wes H Forum Resident

Last record for tonight: Schubert's "The Trout" Piano Quintet, Op.114. A bold, spirited performance by the Beaux Arts Trio with the addition of Samuel Rhodes (viola) and Georg Hörtnagel (double-bass). Fine recording from Philips, as usual. Recorded June, 1975, in the Concertgebouw, Amsterdam.

Philips LP / Dutch press / 1976.

[​IMG]

Karnak, canzld, bluemooze and 8 others like this.
  6. Mirror Image

Mirror Image 200 Years Of Anton Bruckner

7. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Spinning in the CD player:
    [​IMG]

8. vanhooserd

vanhooserd Senior Member

[​IMG]
    Mono, recorded 12/9/55, Symphony Hall, Boston. Producer: John Pfeiffer. Engineer: Lewis Layton. The Prokofiev (as it's usually spelled) was dedicated to Oistrakh back in 1940. The second side with Leclair & Locatelli was issued in stereo on a 1963 RCA Victrola LP along with two recordings made with Munch & the BSO five days after this recording. This whole LP has been issued on a Japanese RCA CD, but I'm not sure if in stereo or mono.

peter1, Eigenvector, canzld and 5 others like this.
  9. Steve Minkin

Steve Minkin Senior Member

[​IMG]

Schumann: Piano Quartet / Piano Quintet (Emanuel Ax)

10. Luisboa

Luisboa Forum Resident

[​IMG]

looking at the time of the tracks I immediatly saw that the first movement of the 6th has 5 minutes less then for example Barshai or Haitink when the other two movement runs at a similiar speed. Wow. But Im at half of it by now and I must say that (true or not with tempo notations on the score, I have no idea) this movement is showing much more consistency in Kondrashin's hands than any previous version I heard before. This is gooood.

11. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

I thoroughly enjoy the symphonies. Neglected composer in the west-like Taneyev.

canzld likes this.
  12. crispi

crispi Vinyl Archaeologist

[​IMG]

This just in:

DEBUSSY · RAMEAU · Víkingur Ólafsson
    DEUTSCHE GRAMMOPHON 483 8283 G H2, (P) 2020
    Optimal pressing mastered by Heino Leja (HL)

The packaging is quite nice, using partial lamination for the colour swooshes.

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  13. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

The Végh Quartet recorded the Bartók String Quartets twice, in the 1950s and the 1970s - which recordings does your LP have?

NorthNY Mark and CMT like this.
  14. elmahranbird

elmahranbird Forum Resident

I listened to that show:) (have been listening to that program off and on since the '90s - Diskotabel - on the radio, now on the web;-) that particular one was this one (Rasumovsky No.2). Recommend the show for all Dutch speakers on the forum! Uitzending van 13 oktober 2019 - Diskotabel
    Really like the show's format, lots of time for discussion and music;-). The current shows are 90 minutes, but in my recollection in the late 80's early '90s they were even longer?

NorthNY Mark, Wes H and crispi like this.
  15. Daedalus

Daedalus I haven't heard it all.....

Another nice Glazunov.[​IMG]

16. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

Listening to "Lassus - Motets et Chansons" performed by The Hilliard Ensemble on EMI.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

17. bluemooze

bluemooze Senior Member Thread Starter

:righton:

cdgenarian likes this.
  18. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

19. J.A.W.

J.A.W. Music Addict

Correct, Diskotabel was 2 hours back then.

cdgenarian likes this.
  20. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The tradition of mood music orchestra lives!

cdgenarian likes this.
  21. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

This reminds me of the Granada TV’s Sherlock Holmes. :)

cdgenarian likes this.
  22. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I've never seen that one. The music on this CD is a lot of fun.

23. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

It has a scene like this.

(Was there an arrangement of the segment on the BBC’s Sherlock? I don’t remember.)

-Sphinx-, cdgenarian, peter1 and 2 others like this.
  24. CMT

CMT Forum Resident

Hasn't actually arrived yet, but, based on the Discogs entry, it appears to be the 1970s recording. "Recording: Musica Théâtre, La Chaux-de-Fonds, Switzerland, in April and June 1972"

cdgenarian likes this.
  25. ibanez_ax

ibanez_ax Forum Resident

I don't remember either. I know there was at least one scene where he played the violin.

cdgenarian and yasujiro like this.