Nirvana’s Next Album

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thnkgreen, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Crimson jon

Crimson jon Forum Resident

I know it sucks what happened to my generations biggest band. I was and still am to an extent a massive nirvana fan. They were huge part of my childhood, made me want to play guitar and were my first musical obsession. Kurt liked the Beatles and king crimsons red album, both bands ended up being my personal favourites as an adult. I never could relate to the punk stuff he liked but I do like the pixies and vaselines.

thnkgreen and lbangs like this.
  2. Beamish13

Beamish13 Forum Resident

“Kurt dies at his L.A. home”. C’mon, he would’ve relocated to Britain, where he would be operating a studio and having a robust career in production

Crimson jon and ajsmith like this.
  3. ghoulsurgery

ghoulsurgery House Ghost

YES! That’d be amazing. Now that I think of it, the home demo of “Opinion” still hasn’t leaked or been released in full either. There’s that snippet in Montage of Heck. So frustrating.

Last edited: May 22, 2020
    Beamish13 likes this.
  4. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

I wish that guy could have realized that there was a way out that didn't involve capping himself. Go buy an island and just exist. Sad story.

thnkgreen likes this.
  5. joeconn4

joeconn4 Forum Resident

I said the same thing for 2 decades. Liked a few of their songs alright, but was pretty apathetic. Never bothered getting any of their albums. Background, I was in for Nevermind the first time I heard 'Teen Spirit' on the radio, Thanksgiving 1991. Loved that album at the time. Picked up In Utero when it came out and thought it was good but not as strong as Nevermind. But then I moved on to liking other music and never picked up on Foo Fighters.

FFwd to summer 2015, a friend of mine in Boston calls me up and says she's got tickets for all the summer concerts at Fenway Park, do I wanna come down to see Foo Fighters. Sure, I'm up for a road trip - gives me a chance to see my cousin and some friends while I'm down there too. I was excited for the concert, figured it would be a fun night out, but didn't really care it was the Foo Fighters. We grab some food, a few beers, head into the show. Mission of Burma opens up. Knew of them but didn't know any of their material or their style. Damn good! Then the Mighty Mighty Bosstones come on. They're another band that I knew a bunch of songs but not that well. They're great, they own the stage. Hometown band FTW!! Then the Foos come on with "Everlong" and the huge curtain drops and they are absolutely ROCKING!! I'm not sure anybody has as much fun on stage as Dave Grohl does. Even with a broken leg, playing on a throne, he's clearly having a blast.

I gained all the respect in the RnR world for Dave Grohl and the Foo Fighters that night. Picked up a bunch of their albums afterwards. I don't think they're all great front to back, but they all have at least some good songs on them. I do think Wasting Light is a damn fine album. Overall, unusual for me, I'm more of a Greatest Hits guy with this band.

6. The tensions were almost all his doing.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  7. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Might have loosened him up to put efforts into 3 killer songs on the next (imaginary) album. Would rather have seen him do that, get a couple of songs from the other guys, do a ten minute crazy blowout punk, funk, junk etc instrumental to end the album to release all tensions with the band and himself concerning the juggernaut that was Nirvana and name the album “Bye”. Which would, of course, be the name of the instrumental.

And then go be happy Kurt.

Cokelike- likes this.
  8. reverendjim

reverendjim Forum Resident

I know he was a trainwreck at the end there, so maybe this needs to be taken with the appropriate grain(s) of salt, but isn't there some letter floating around where he "fired" one or both of the other guys?

9. egebamyasi

egebamyasi Forum Resident

Marigold was such a great song. I could see Dave doing a few songs on the next album. I think Kurt was up for something different. Maybe outside forces wouldn't have let it happen.

autumn daze likes this.
  10. nodeerforamonth

nodeerforamonth Consistently misunderstood

Not really. What you're alluding to is a letter going around where he wanted more of a cut since he was singing and playing guitar. Krist and Dave conceded and let him have his way to keep the band together.

Though at the end (when they were on to play Lalapalooza and then not on to play Lalapalooza after Kurt's first suicide attempt and subsequent going awol), they were already technically disbanded.

11. Possibly. But that would have only been because one of them got alarmed enough to try to do something about his problems - and he pushed back.

12. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Keep in mind Utero had lots of song written before Nevermind blew up and there's only 2(?) new fleshed out Kurt songs by 1994.

The band interaction in the Nardwuar 1994 backstage Vancouver video is off.

13. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

-not sure he had the liquid cash
    -child custody issues
    -divorce $ issues
    -cabin in the wood strikes me as more his style or asking Peter Buck/Stipe to help him live under the radar.
    -I'm sure courtney watched their accounts closely and once remarked that Kurt couldn't even book a plane ticket

14. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura! Thread Starter

Wonder if Courtney was whispering in his ear, "you do more than the other guys.... you need more $$"

15. thnkgreen

Yeah I am always going to blame Courtney for his death.

peskypesky likes this.
  16. hbsbla

hbsbla Forum Resident

I remember an interview Kurt did with MTV around the time of In Utero where he talked about the evolution of The Beatles from She Loves You to Sgt. Pepper, and foresaw a similar path for a Nirvana. That made me really excited for the future, but unfortunately it was all over a short time after that.

Mackaveli likes this.
  17. Madrid

Madrid Forum Resident

I'm never quite sure if Pat Smear was a full member of the band by the end - was he?

18. thnkgreen

Yeah I remember that interview. I was floored when he died because it seemed like every interview he gave towards the end seemed upbeat, like he was the happiest he had ever been. I think this is what has always fueled the "Kurt was murdered" conspiracists.

Mackaveli and peskypesky like this.
  19. He overdosed one month before his eventual death. If he was happy, it's only because he was medicated.

peskypesky and DTK like this.
  20. thnkgreen

Good point. Maybe he was trying to convince himself, when in reality he was miserable.

peskypesky likes this.
  21. I think that with a sober Cobain, they could have gone in some pretty interesting directions, especially as he improved as a player and could do more different kinds of chords. But it was going to require that. Tremendous vocal melody writer. He had a gift for that.

ghoulsurgery likes this.
  22. Certainly if he hadn't married another drug addict, it would have almost surely helped. She has quietly helped some people over the years. Read Mark Lanegan's new book. Although he had a later and major slip-up, she was instrumental in getting him out of that cul-de-sac about 21-22 years ago. He acknowledges and thanks her for that.

peskypesky, ghoulsurgery and DTK like this.
  23. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Touring member.

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Misogyny at its finest.

ghoulsurgery, Kevin j and thnkgreen like this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well, do you know anything?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.