Sequels That Should Never Have Been Made!

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by Luvtemps, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. SandAndGlass

SandAndGlass Twilight Forum Resident

Any Meatballs after the first.

mr. steak and Flippikat like this.
  2. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

Yeah, too many sequels essentially remake the first.

It's a challenge, though. A good sequel needs to remind you what you liked about the first movie, but you don't want it to simply do the same thing again...

3. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

City Slickers II

4. Kyle B

Kyle B Forum Resident

Sound of Music II: Herr Zeller’s Revenge.

5. greenscreened

greenscreened Forum Resident

Psycho II & III
    Didn't like II, and III was even worse.
    If I do watch the original, I stop when she pulls up to the hotel that is run by Master Bates.
    'Master' being a common term back then referring to unmarried men, that slowly drifted out of usage, as did 'Miss' for unmarried women further down the line.
    Though it was claimed the name was chosen because he 'baited' women.

I was driving by on a golf cart outside of the stage that they were filming II on one day, so I didn't have much time to hear anything other than a quick statement delivered at a volume level that qualifies as not relaxed, and with a lot of emotion from one elder 'production' type to another, which was Hitchcock would never put that in the movie.
    Needless to say, I had no idea who she was or what she was referring to, but they obviously left the stage to be alone .

I do know when production started, an interoffice memo was sent to all departments at Uni stating "Anyone not involved with the production company that is caught on the set will be 'Rudely Ejected'"!
    It also said that on the bottom of the daily production schedules.

6. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

The Fly 2...

7. Michael

I thought it was pretty good...

8. Michael

agreed!

9. Flippikat

Flippikat Forum Resident

Mind you, the nerds were pretty inventive in re-wiring the "HOTEL CORAL ESSEX" neon sign outside their accomodation, to say something else to bring people to their party...

10. I heartily disagree with this one. This movie was downright prescient in regard to reality TV. It has grown on me immensely over the years. Sure it's bizarre, but so was Rocky Horror. It's really not a true sequel either. It's a completely different animal that utilized much of the same cast from Rocky Horror. In addition, it has my favorite original soundtrack ever. The music for this thing is awesome!

Matthew Tate likes this.
  11. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

"Godfather ll" was one of the rare ones that worked, but "Godfather lll" should have never been made.

12. Dillydipper

Dillydipper Space-Age luddite

Breakin' 2: Electric Bugaloo.
    Also, Dirty Dancing II: Electric Bugaloo.
    And, American Psycho 2: Electric Bugaloo.

Actually, the "sequel"-iest thing they did to these movies, was to title them after movies they had nothing at all to do with.

13. rich100

rich100 Forum Resident

Terminator 2 is a good sequel, not so sure about the rest. Matrix sequels never quite lived up to the first either.

14. The Hermit

The Hermit Wavin' that magick glowstick since 1976

I have to say, I really like Psycho II... it honors and follows up the original very well (imho). Hitchcock's daughter has publicly said she thinks her father would have dug it, who are we to say otherwise? It's not up there with the original, let's be clear, but it's a little unsung gem...

III has some good moments and I know Anthony Perkins really wanted to direct it (and did a good job), but I'd say it was a step too far and was more of a retread of the original than a new chapter in it's own right... but the score is wonderfully atmospheric and the final shot is an all-timer.

I could give a list of sequels that should never have been made, but the list would be so long, it would command every last gigabyte on the entire planet, the internet would crash, society would break down, and we'd be eating each other within a few months... so it ain't worth it just to comment on the continued avarice of Hollyweird :cool:.

Binni, mdm08033, DiabloG and 3 others like this.
  15. Standoffish

Standoffish Smarter than a turkey

Saturday the 14th Strikes Back

16. Oatsdad

I think none of the "Terminator" flicks past "2" are great, but they're mostly entertaining. Same for the 2 "Matrix" sequels.

Definitely all worth watching, IMO! :)

Matthew Tate likes this.
  17. Oatsdad

I know "Psycho II" has gotten some relative acclaim in modern times, but I think it's pretty meh. Not an awful film, but not very good:

Psycho II [Blu-Ray] (1983)

I didn't love "III" either, but I preferred it:

Psycho III [Blu-Ray] (1986)

18. Oatsdad

Wait - when you watch "Psycho", you stop before anything really happens? :wtf:

Grand_Ennui and johnnybrum like this.
  19. Oatsdad

It really was awful. Just a series of crass lines of dialogue with no cleverness or wit:

Bad Santa 2 [Blu-Ray] (2016)

20. finslaw

finslaw muzak to my ears

The third was needed for the character arc, but yes it was subpar. Honestly, some of these are bizarre to me. Psycho II and III furthered Norman's story and provided more black humor. Gremlins 2 is outright comedy unlike the first. Fly II is a totally different story than the first. IMO that makes them all worthy.

A lot of sequels are in fact much better than the original.

The Road Warrior
    From Russia With Love
    Ouija 2: Axis of Evil
    White Noise 2
    Ginger Snaps 2: Unleashed
    Star Trek II: Wrath of Khan
    Superman II
    Fast & Furious (many of them)
    Mission Impossible: Ghost Protocol/Rogue Nation
    Under Siege 2 (I will not sway from this opinion)
    Friday the 13th Part 6
    Amityville II: The Possession
    Child's Play 2
    Sleepaway Camp II
    Quatermass 2
    Taste the Blood of Dracula
    Bride of Frankenstein

Last edited: May 23, 2020
  21. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

I didn’t even like the first one! :D

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Monosterio

Monosterio Forum Resident

The Two Jakes (1990)—if Polanski had returned to direct, rather than Nicholson, it might have been good.

mdm08033 and Matthew Tate like this.
  23. Roland Stone

Roland Stone Offending Member

I'll argue that measured as the difference between the budget and the talent behind and in front of the cameras and the final result, HANNIBAL is the worst movie ever made.

Sean likes this.
  24. Fastnbulbous

Fastnbulbous Doubleplus Ungood

The Sting II and Blues Brothers 2000 came immediately to mind. Take away the original cast, you better have a helluva good script. Neither one did. Sometimes the formula only works once. The Speed and Blair Witch sequels for ex.

Dudley Morris likes this.
  25. Oatsdad

Nah: "Meet the Fockers" beats "Hannibal" in this regard!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.