Summer Means New Love...

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by action pact, May 22, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore Thread Starter

Summer Means New Love...

[​IMG]

See You in September... :love:

[​IMG]

wgb113, britt2001b, Tim S and 6 others like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I'd rather turn the A/C to blast the room for 20 min before starting a music listening session than put my tube gear in the closet. :D

3. rischa

rischa Forum Resident

One more thing a cold beer would fix.

beowulf, caracallac and jonwoody like this.
  4. caracallac

caracallac Forum Resident

Yes is gonna be a cold lonely summer... With all due respect to Roy Gandy, give me Avery Fisher’s finest any day, no matter what the weather.

beowulf, bluesaddict and bever70 like this.
  5. action pact

You're assuming that I have air conditioning... :shake:

I like the way you think!

No doubt about it, the Fisher rules. But my 11' x 13' listening room is on the second floor, and it gets sweltering in here during the summer. With the tubes going, it's even more uncomfortable.

rischa, caracallac and SandAndGlass like this.
  6. action pact

I have to be honest... I'm missing the Fisher already.

I may have to reconsider this...

7. action pact

Time for an about-face!

I had an inexpensive RBH powered subwoofer connected between the Rega and the Spendor mains. Removing the subwoofer, creating a direct line between the Rega and the Spendors, has improved the overall clarity and spaciousness a lot. This wasn't an issue with the Fisher because I used the Fisher's center channel output jack for the sub.

bever70, rischa and SandAndGlass like this.
  8. caracallac

I suppose that being able to run a valve amp all year around it’s one of the benefits of living on the Irish coast. It’s easy to forget that however when the winter drizzle is running down the back of your neck... :D

bever70 likes this.
  9. action pact

That actually all sounds pretty nice...

caracallac likes this.
  10. Melvin

Melvin Forum Resident

I also swap amps (and DACs) in the summer months pretty much for the same reason. I'll miss my tubes (Decware SE84UFO and MHDT Lab Pagoda) but with all the ambient noise (fans running, windows open, etc.) critical listening suffers anyway. My Marantz HD-AMP1 will be on duty starting next week.

action pact likes this.
  11. Tim S

Tim S Senior Member

12. Rattlin' Bones

Rattlin' Bones Grumpy Old Deaf Drummer

Get a $199 TubeCube 7 from Tube Depot to satisfy your tube-Jones. I've been listening to a new Rega Brio and switched it with a Tube Cube 7 and I much prefer the little 3 valve 3 watt amp. Won't heat your room, either.

13. action pact

3.5 watts is not enough to power my Spendors, I'm afraid...

14. Rattlin' Bones

I dunno - which Speldors do you have?

15. action pact

SP3/1R2, 88dB efficient.

16. Rattlin' Bones

8ohm, 88db efficiency, narrow range 65 Hz to 20 kHz. 150 watt max. 7" bass cone. I'm driving a pair of 100 watt 85db efficiency 54 - 26,000 Hz speakers with the little 3 watt gem and I can't drive the speakers to distortion even when volume way too loud for my ears. FYI my new summer love was supposed to be a Rega Brio. Same speakers same CD player the little TubeCube 7 walked all over it. Rega was mushy on larger ensembles music, but clear as a bell with the TubeCube7. I'm returning the Rega Brio. I'm going to start a new thread soon and compare them. Should elecit a heated discussion to be sure.

Valves valves valves Valves valves valves Valves valves valves Valves valves valves Valves valves valves Valves valves valves Valves valves valves Valves valves valves Valves valves valves.

Last edited: May 24, 2020
  17. action pact

Seriously? I might have to consider trying this, merely out of curiosity.

[​IMG]

18. Rattlin' Bones

$199 experiment. I didn't think it would amount to anything, but oh wow. TubeDepot is also super-helpful. I did upgrade tubes to Russian Tung Sol.

If you do try it, have them open the box and try tubes to make sure they slide in and out and seat correctly. I received a defective unit the first time and could not get tubes to insert completely and seat. The replacement unit they verified no issues before shipping.

The Rega is heading back via UPS. I wanted to like it, lots of great reviews, but side-by-side to valves it just didn't hit on all cylinders.

I'm spoiled by valves now. Maybe there's a new Decware or old Fisher in my future!

Last edited: May 24, 2020
    action pact likes this.
  19. Rattlin' Bones

Very detailed review of the TubeCube7: might give you some insight on ability to run your speakers:
    TubeCube | 7 Review

action pact likes this.
  20. action pact

A few months ago, @Lebowski and I did a shootout between my '59 Fisher X-100 and a modern tube amp he had on loan (I think it was a Primaluna?), and the Fisher was clearly the better-sounding amp.

21. action pact

Pivoting back to the original topic, I have been enjoying the Brio-R quite a bit once I sorted out the speaker connections. Solid state isn't a bad alternative to tubes, each has its strengths and weaknesses (at least within my price point).

22. russk

russk Forum Resident

The women, beer, and scenery must round it out nicely.

23. caracallac

I once asked an old friend who emigrated to Chicago back in the ‘80’s if he ever considered moving home permanently. He said sure, but then he thinks of hot dogs and a beer at Wrigley field and thinks better of it...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.